SASS Wire Forum

Immigration

Big Sarge

Yep. We're having problems. I guess they swam the river in the beginning and they have been steadily infiltrating our state. I don't know what the situation is, but something has to be done. For years, I remember the problems we had around Camp Shelby, just an hour from the coast. Heck, I even remember when a bunch of drunk troops chased one down and dragged him into the barracks. There was hell to pay for that!! As far back as 1849, we have had problems with them sneaking across the border from Mexico

I am declaring war on them. I'm urging my neighbors to stand with me. If all of us stand together, we can stop this immigration mess. It's time to take action and start acting like men. The next armadillo I catch messing up my garden is going to get shot. I can't stand armadillos. They are digging holes in my yard and garden every night. I figure if we start hunting them and eating them, we'll put a dent in these immigrants. So, I'm headed out with my .22 to stand watch for the little buggers.

Here's my favorite recipe. The fried meat goes well with biscuits and a white sausage gravy.

FRIED ARMADILLO

Place serving size pieces in a stew pot with a little water and gently boil until meat is tender, about 1/2 hour. Remove meat and cool; roll in flour with salt and pepper. Put in skillet of hot cooking oil. Brown on both sides. Cover skillet and cook 20 to 30 minutes. Add chicken broth, if needed.

You are, no doubt, aware that armadillos can carry the leprosy virus. Just wanted to put that out there.

When I was a little kid growin' up in the south of Texas, some of the old-timers still called 'em "Hoover Hogs."

Got him!!! About 0200, I caught the varmit in my garden. My daughter is going to fry bite size chunks and serve with remoulade sauce. Gonna be good eating around here tonight. BTW, I used .22 CB rounds last. Pretty dang quiet and I don't think any of the neighbors noticed.

Hoover Hogs - I had to look that one up. Pretty good story behind that.

Leprosy - I know the Feds have confirmed the leprosy virus in Tx & La, but ours are thought to be a different "blood line". The University of FL did a big study and after dissecting 2,400 of our mini-tanks, they found no evidence of Hansen's disease.

There are at least two different breeds of armadillo, the seven banded and the nine banded, and possibly more, I cant say, Im not an armadillo doctor!

Possom on the half shell.

You bring up an interesting thought, Sarge. I just read this morning that the Olympic National Park officials have

closed the HOH river to all fishing due to low water and a low return of anadromous fish (read Salmon, more

correctly, King Salmon) Seems that we can't keep out the unwanted species and we can't keep the desired

species. Do I see a pattern here. I think so.

I think I will pass on that supper you described. :)

Archived