SASS Wire Forum

Murphy's Mix Question

Ya Big Tree

Murphy's mix: equal parts of Murphy's oil, hydrogen peroxide, and isopropyl alcohol.

Is the alcohol just a carrier? Can I substitute ethanol instead? I have access to ethanol, and Murphys mix is less expensive than Mooses Milk, and smells better. :)

I have found in my one day of shooting APP in my 73 (45 Colt) that Murphy's mix worked better that Moose Milk. Maybe because I had it in a big spray bottle and used it VERY unspairingly.

My 73 carrier, without a large amount of flushing with Murphy's mix would start sticking after one stage. One stage I had to ground it after the last shot because it wouldn't open to eject the last case.

My loads are not full loads, but I really didn't notice any difference between reduced topped with grits and Full house loads.

Got carried away typing.

Anyway can I substitute isopropyl with ethanol ?

Tree

Howdy I wouldn't, the alcohol acts as a flash drying agent.......plus it contains water, the most important part of any PB cleaning solution. Yer carrier sticking is common when using 45LC in the rifle. Might try some real BP with 250gr Big Lube, some folks can get them to work and some can't........the best fix for that is a 44/40, carrier will barely look like it's been used at all. Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

Murphy's mix: equal parts of Murphy's oil, hydrogen peroxide, and isopropyl alcohol.

Is the alcohol just a carrier? Can I substitute ethanol instead? I have access to ethanol, and Murphys mix is less expensive than Mooses Milk, and smells better. :)

I have found in my one day of shooting APP in my 73 (45 Colt) that Murphy's mix worked better that Moose Milk. Maybe because I had it in a big spray bottle and used it VERY unspairingly.

My 73 carrier, without a large amount of flushing with Murphy's mix would start sticking after one stage. One stage I had to ground it after the last shot because it wouldn't open to eject the last case.

My loads are not full loads, but I really didn't notice any difference between reduced topped with grits and Full house loads.

Got carried away typing.

Anyway can I substitute isopropyl with ethanol ?

Tree

You should be good. Murphy's mix is what I carry to the range. I also keep patches soaking in it so I can swab the bore from time to time. Hot, dry days require the most diligence.

CR

I would make the substitution in a heartbeat, but I can buy isopropyl myself cheaper than any, even denatured, ethanol.

Probably will not make 2 cents of difference in the performance of the cleaner.

Good luck, GJ

I would make the substitution in a heartbeat, but I can buy isopropyl myself cheaper than any, even denatured, ethanol.

Probably will not make 2 cents of difference in the performance of the cleaner.

Good luck, GJ

Thanks GJ, learn sumpin' new every day ;)

J :ph34r: R-E

Thanks Guys !

We have 55 Gallon drums of ethanol at work. :ph34r:

I will borrow some and return what I don't use. :D

Thanks Guys !

We have 55 Gallon drums of ethanol at work. :ph34r:

I will borrow some and return what I don't use. :D

Medicinal grade? Otherwise known as Moonshine? :P

Howdy

I'm not a chemist, so I cannot comment on ethanol vs isopropyl. However I have a bottle of Isopropyl in front of me. It is 91% Isopropyl Alcohol, the rest is water. All the alcohol does in Murphy's Mix is promote evaporating the water.

You can very easily buy all the components at any well stocked grocery store. Just buy 1 quart of Murphy's Oil Soap, 1 quart of Hydrogen Per Oxide, and 1 quart of Isopropyl. The Peroxide is only about 2% - 3% Peroxide, the rest is water. And the alcohol is 20% water. It is all that water that does the real dissolving and cleaning. The alcohol promotes evaporating the water away so you don't have to bake the guns in an oven, The Oil Soap leaves behind an oily residue that prevents rust. The teeny bit of Per Oxide adds a little bit of fizz to help dislodge any stubborn fouling. Buy them all at the grocery store, and mix them together in an empty 3 quart juice jug.

Why try to cheap out on a litttle bit of free Ethanol? Why mess with what works? Three quarts of Murphy's Mix should easily last for many matches.

Howdy

I'm not a chemist, so I cannot comment on ethanol vs isopropyl. However I have a bottle of Isopropyl in front of me. It is 91% Isopropyl Alcohol, the rest is water. All the alcohol does in Murphy's Mix is promote evaporating the water.

You can very easily buy all the components at any well stocked grocery store. Just buy 1 quart of Murphy's Oil Soap, 1 quart of Hydrogen Per Oxide, and 1 quart of Isopropyl. The Peroxide is only about 2% - 3% Peroxide, the rest is water. And the alcohol is 20% water. It is all that water that does the real dissolving and cleaning. The alcohol promotes evaporating the water away so you don't have to bake the guns in an oven, The Oil Soap leaves behind an oily residue that prevents rust. The teeny bit of Per Oxide adds a little bit of fizz to help dislodge any stubborn fouling. Buy them all at the grocery store, and mix them together in an empty 3 quart juice jug.

Why try to cheap out on a litttle bit of free Ethanol? Why mess with what works? Three quarts of Murphy's Mix should easily last for many matches.

I have those spray bottles with marks on the side. 1/3 - 1/3 - 1/3. Spray or stream. Great for road matches where you want things done before you go back to the motel also.

Also works very well as a hand cleaner when you're done. No more "Hey! You must be a BP shooter" when folks see your hands. Sam's Club has 2 packs of peroxide and alcohol for less than $4.00. Giant Murphy's soap at Menards for 4 or 5 bucks. Simple Green works OK, but it's got no class. We are in the mystery business, must have exotic. :D

CR

Medicinal grade? Otherwise known as Moonshine? :P

I have those spray bottles with marks on the side. 1/3 - 1/3 - 1/3. Spray or stream. Great for road matches where you want things done before you go back to the motel also.

Also works very well as a hand cleaner when you're done. No more "Hey! You must be a BP shooter" when folks see your hands. Sam's Club has 2 packs of peroxide and alcohol for less than $4.00. Giant Murphy's soap at Menards for 4 or 5 bucks. Simple Green works OK, but it's got no class. We are in the mystery business, must have exotic. :D

CR

If it were Medicinal grade I'd bring plenty along to the International Black Powder Shoot in two weeks and try to gain an advantage on you folks. Alas it's not. :blink:

+1 on the 1/3 1/3 1/3 spray bottles.

I've used water and murphy's oil soap with nothing else added-works fine. I've used alcohol of both ethanol and isopropyl types. never saw a difference. I quit using the hydrogen peroxide 7-8 years ago and my guns still clean easily and retain no corrosive fouling.

Water is the key

both of alchols are water compatible. the difference is in the length of the organic chain. Methly being one carbon, ethyl two carbon and 3 for the iso. End results are the same - helps to displace the water. One I am sure one might have a lower boiling point and/or vapor pressure but so what. However, when it comes to sipping there is a big difference...

Archived