SASS Wire Forum

Anyone ever chew Alka Seltzer?

Alpo

It's a common TV/movie scene. They have someone chew some Alka Seltzer, and they start foaming at the mouth, and they tell everyone the "victim" has epilepsy, or rabies, or is having a fit, or something.

Now, Alka Seltzer in a glass ain't that tasty, so I've never tried the pill by itself.

Anybody?

How's it taste?

If you're squeamish or a member of PETA, don't read this.

So, back when Kid Brother was a kid (50+ now) he was being bugged by a seagull one afternoon while walking home from the market. He was carrying a bag with a few groceries, including a bottle of Alka Seltzer, eating on a Hostess turnover, being stalked by the bird who evidently tried repeatedly to bomb the kid.

On a whim, the kid took the last corner of his turnover, stuffed an Alka Seltzer in it, and tossed it aloft.

Sure 'nuff, Mister Gull swooped and captured the morsel mid-air, and gulped it down.

Well.... heed the kid's discovery: Apparently, seagulls can neither burp nor "break wind."

The outcome was, according to the Kid, quite disturbing for both bird and witnesses. :unsure:

Yup! I've done it, but then I've done I lot of things I ought not have done. Don't remember anything particularly bad about the taste, but it certainly did produce a "rabid dog" foaming at the mouth. A buddy and I did this while walking down Bourbon Street one night. Yeah. Don't know how we didn't get arrested that night. The NOPD is not known for a sense of humor about such things. Anyway, it being New Orleans on a Saturday night, we hardly even drew any stares!

I can't understand why anybody would put an Alka Seltzer in their mouth.

Or liverwurst.

Or Schlitz beer.

Crazy world. :rolleyes:

Apparently it will not actually blow up birds.

http://factually.gizmodo.com/seagulls-will-not-blow-up-if-they-eat-alka-seltzer-1612065486

Leiberwurst is very good, although it makes me burp, so I don't eat it as much as I'd like.

Schlitz goes very good in the drip pan of a wet smoker. Two cans of Schlitz and eight ounces of water, and the fat drips in and adds to the flavor.

I can't understand why anybody would put an Alka Seltzer in their mouth.

Or liverwurst.

Or Schlitz beer.

Crazy world. :rolleyes:

Apparently it will not actually blow up birds.

http://factually.gizmodo.com/seagulls-will-not-blow-up-if-they-eat-alka-seltzer-1612065486

Good liverwurst is delicious. I used to like Schlitz.

It's a common TV/movie scene. They have someone chew some Alka Seltzer, and they start foaming at the mouth, and they tell everyone the "victim" has epilepsy, or rabies, or is having a fit, or something.

Now, Alka Seltzer in a glass ain't that tasty, so I've never tried the pill by itself.

Anybody?

How's it taste?

Sounds like one would have to be pretty drunk to try and eat an Alka Seltzer. :huh:

Sounds like one would have to be pretty drunk to try and eat an Alka Seltzer. :huh:

Bet the fellas chasing bears with hatchets would try it if you offered them a beer to wash it down with. :P:P :P

alka seltzer, properly taken, is super effective for motion sickness,,, immediate and complete relief!!! made myself sick road racing, it cured it pronto!!!

yep -- WHEN WE WERE KIDS! foaming at the mouth

Archived