SASS Wire Forum

Using BP sub in a 73 rifle .38 cal.

I use app with my 73 in 38

After I shoot one stage I wipe the bolt and carrier the best I can then add spray lube

That's at big matches

Local matches I just run it and spray lube

I do take the carrier out and clean after 5 stages or 6 stage the end of the day

Billy the Avenger

I shoot 125 gr. pills with 1CC pinnacle. Have gone 10 stages over 2 days with no maintenance. I lube the carrier with bore butter after cleaning, Mobil 1 Synthetic on all wear surfaces.

You will be able to shoot standard lubed bullets with APP. Easy cleanup. Fill case to bottom of where bullet base ends. Have fun.

Other subs - a little more, to a lot more work and hassle.

Read Capt. Baylors BP Subs article for lots of details. http://www.curtrich.com/bpsubsdummies.html

Good luck, and smoke 'em if you got 'em.

Good luck, GJ

BW I'm using 777 FFg 38sp in my 73. I usually spray and wipe down bolt and carrier every two stages. You going to Circle R Saturday? Can show you what I do then.

I use APP in my 73 and shot Land Run 12 stages \ 2 days without cleaning it as well as pistols with no problems

I'm on the APP bandwagon. I shoot both 38 and 45 rifles, 6 stages, 10 stages, 12 stages with no problem. I do carry around a small aerosol can of Balistol and give the Carrier Block a little squirt about every 3 stages. I don't actually clean either my Cap Guns nor my toggle link rifles 'till after the match.

With APP we can use smokeless lube bullets, BP lube bullets, bullets with no lube. They all run just fine. Clean everything up with water. Real simple. Definitely read Capt Baylor's stuff on Subs. The current formulation of APP results in almost no dust. Runs a treat thru a Dillon progressive.

Coffinmaker

You will find both APP and Triple Seven give good results. I prefer Triple Seven because it is not very hydroscopic. Do wash anything brass that is exposed to smoke residue as a dark brown tarnish will develop on uncleaned brass surfaces.

APP works well in 38 toggle-link rifles.

Carrier works freely all match.

Clean-up is easy.

--Dawg

Bloodwashed, I shoot the real stuff in my .45cal 73'. It gets gummy about stage 4, that's when I give it a spray of Murphy's mix or Ballistal. I also run a patch down the barrel too.

Murphy's mix: equal parts of Murphy's oil, hydrogen peroxide, and isopropyl alcohol.

Archived