SASS Wire Forum

Is it Just Style?

Aunt Jen

I wonder if anyone has an M-151 for sale.

I liked the one Uncle Sam loaned me. A touch here and there to make the suspension better (having a clerk who built and raced cars had its benefits) made it a fine ride.

I miss the MUTTS but you had to baby them in the curves during convoys on the highway. Just about every summer, someone would flip one at Camp Shelby. Forty Rod, here's a link for several for sale. BTW, I've been wanting an M422 Mighty Mite.

http://g503.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=15

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm getting ready to buy my third Jeep Wrangler. My last 2004 Wrangler Unlimited went on many road trips to Wyoming, Colorado and Montana not much for gas milage but went anywhere I wanted to go and got me back. Jeeps aren't for everyone and I don't care if people like what I drive or not.

I used to own and manage mountaintop communications sites in Az. and Ca. and many of them required 4x4 to access them, a few required it all year long. One site that I used to manage over by Palm Desert had about 8 miles of very rough boulder hopping trail to access it. When they first made the Hummer available for civilian use I took a ride up to that site with a new Hummer and the salesman came along. The deal was that if we got up to the site okay that we'd buy one. Just below the site there is a very sharp turn with big rocks and walls on both sides and the Hummer finally made it after much jockeying to keep it from getting scratched up. We decided to go with another Wrangler because it fit through the "cut" as we called it much easier. The Wrangler had a shorter, narrower wheel base and smaller turning radius. I'm sure that the Hummer would have gone places that the Wrangler wouldn't, but in this case the Wrangler was better.

I like jeeps, the look. I also like pickups, etc. But I feel more comfortable in something easy to drive, and also most comfortable in a pickup/jeep, etc, when it's a guy's*, and I'm just in there with him.

* BUT ALSO

I am country-extract, raised in the Midwest. I also have a side of me that is the country gal in boots who has a beat up ole chevy pickup with Kiefer Sutherlznd for a boyfriend...

But I think it's an older side of me. I like all that, but I've been citified so long. I think I'd feel out of place, like a cowgirl in NY, sticking out like a sore thumb, in Los Angeles, in a jeep/pickup.

Mostly. Even though i like to see those tropes in the movies., I'm more of an easy-to-drive or luxury person at this point.

(you know: I think I'm the only Prius that shows up at The Hole in the Wall to shoot, that i can recall. And it could never pull the boat. I wish I could have the easy drive, looks, and fuel economy of the Prius with the character of a jeep. That would be fun.)

(you know: I think I'm the only Prius that shows up at The Hole in the Wall to shoot, that i can recall. And it could never pull the boat. I wish I could have the easy drive, looks, and fuel economy of the Prius with the character of a jeep. That would be fun.)

Design a vehicle like that and the world would beat a path to your door and you would also be richer than Bill, Gates, Bloomberg, and the Clintons combined.

Not sure such a beast will ever exist. Jeep for 2018 (probably available 2016), looks to be going to more Aluminum, and quite possibly bringing in a European design 2-3 liter Diesel engine, which will be awesome! They might also eliminate the removable top, going to a more unibody construction to increase stiffness whilst reducing weight.

Stay tuned, if this happens we might just trade in our new 2015 for it!

Get a jeep, it's like nothing else. If it doesn't work for you there's folks out there who will buy it quite readily!

Just be prepared to enter into a sub-culture every bit as peculiar as the HD fraternity.....

SC

Great! Then I could go shopping without regret! :)

Why would you regret going shopping?

I've owned two cars in my life that came with a unique feature - other drivers of the same model greet you with a wave and a smile, and sometimes even a light flash. The first was an MGB; the second a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. Neither car is for everyone. You need a sense of adventure, some mechanical skills, and more interest in individuality than creature comforts.

I use Consumer Reports for dishwashers and blenders, but not for cars; the things they seem to value don't match my criteria or my interests. I've owned one Japanese car- a Honda. It was a dependable car, but had no excitement, no flash, and no soul.

Not everything in life is about low repair rate histories; live a little!!!!!

To each his/her own.

LL

Not sure such a beast will ever exist. Jeep for 2018 (probably available 2016), looks to be going to more Aluminum, and quite possibly bringing in a European design 2-3 liter Diesel engine, which will be awesome! They might also eliminate the removable top, going to a more unibody construction to increase stiffness whilst reducing weight.

Stay tuned, if this happens we might just trade in our new 2015 for it!

Get a jeep, it's like nothing else. If it doesn't work for you there's folks out there who will buy it quite readily!

Just be prepared to enter into a sub-culture every bit as peculiar as the HD fraternity.....

SC

I will be pleased to take a look when it gets here.

I used to regret having to drive my wife's Prius because I didn't want anyone to see me in it. It got good mileage though.

Always figured a Prius was an underpowered POS until I had one pass me going up a 5% grade.

Back about 2004 or so we were headed to Mammoth Mountain for the annual Bluesapalooza beer and blues festival. A group of us was doing 60 or so on our bikes up the long grade north out of Big Pine. Surprised us all how easily that Prius passed us going up hill. Although I suspect it put quite a damper on his fuel economy..

None of the needs I have for something with 4 wheels include economy, unfortunately.

I need something that has the power to move large trailers in an efficient manner, and is heavy enough to stabilize them at interstate speeds.

Put those two together, and you'll wear out the magnetic strips on your plastic cards in no time.

None of the needs I have for something with 4 wheels include economy, unfortunately.

I need something that has the power to move large trailers in an efficient manner, and is heavy enough to stabilize them at interstate speeds.

Put those two together, and you'll wear out the magnetic strips on your plastic cards in no time.

Freight liner & International Harvester have 4x4 trucks that will fill your needs. Just takes money

Freight liner & International Harvester have 4x4 trucks that will fill your needs. Just takes money

Yeah, I've worked with them a little. Even seen some Fords and Chevy bodied trucks like them.

With two of us we need lots of vehicles. Copper Queen still has her Audi V8 (which never gets driven) we have an old Ford Excursion (diesel), a Chevy 2500 (diesel) and my personal vehicle, a 1996 HUMMER H-1. Gets 8miles to the gallon and could use a Prius for a wheel chock. Of course with 37" tires it might just continue to run over it. Hit me if you wish. You will loose :P

P.S. has a sign on the rear tow shackle says "attach jeep here". :D:D:lol:

You think that, till you have to replace the battery- :D

http://www.thehybridshop.com/media/blogs/cost-toyota-prius-battery-replacement-prices/

OLG

PRIUS BATTERY REPLACEMENT COST,

That web page says for my 3rd Gen Prius it' $3939 minus $1350 recycle deduction if applicable.

I drive about 25,000 miles per year in it at about 50 MPG

If another car got 25 MPG, the fuel savings for me would be 1,000 gallons Per year. At $3.50 per gallon, that's the cost of a new battery EVERY YEAR saved. :)

I haven't worked it out, but if a regular gas car without a hybrid battery got maybe 40 MPH, that might negate the Prius 50 MPG.

So tks for the learning.

AJ

That web page says for my 3rd Gen Prius it' $3939 minus $1350 recycle deduction if applicable.

If another car got 25 MPG, the fuel savings for me would be 1,000 gallons Per year. At $3.50 per gallon, that's the cost of a new battery EVERY YEAR saved. :)

I haven't worked it out, but if a regular gas car without a hybrid battery got maybe 40 MPH, that might negate the Prius 50 MPG.

So tks for the learning.

AJ

Most diesel engine cars can easily beat 40mpg. Plus 4X the engine life of a gas engine.

OLG

With 4 vehicles, 4 ATV/UTV's (including the Queen's DIESEL John Deere UTV), 5 trailers, a grader, dozer, skid steer, crane, track loader, and other equipment all we do is buy tires and batteries. I would not buy another gasoline vehicle if I could possibly avoid it. Our next vehicle will probably be a JEEP diesel of some sort. The only way to go. We have lived "off the grid" for 20 years now and I know all about batteries. No way I'm buying a hybrid. Same thing for some little rice burner. The Jeep would only be for slow speed local trips to the grocery store (135 miles round trip) but no traffic out here in the boonies. Might hit a deer or cow though so have to be careful in a little vehicle like a Jeep. I wanted a UniMog but they don't import them anymore.

As for towing the Hummer with a Jeep, you had better hook 3 of them together. :P It has a 20 ton winch of it's own.

So tks for the learning.

AJ

Call dealership and ask what parts & labor plus disposal fees are for battery replacement.

As for towing the Hummer with a Jeep, you had better hook 3 of them together. :P It has a 20 ton winch of it's own.

I have pull'd more than one Hummer with my Jeep. ^_^

You see-Jeep CJ's can just drive around the rocks that a Hummer must climb, to keep up with us. :lol::lol:

OLG

All of our Jeep Grand Cherokees went off road many times. Had stainless steel rock rails on my 5.9 Grand. Even towed the CJ we had to Jeep Jamboree at YO Ranch near Kerrville behind my Grand and Laz drove his brand new Grand he had had for a week. Three Jeeps and we drove all of them that weekend.

I miss my 5.9 Grand that I had for over 12 years. Don't miss the premium gas though. My 2012 Liberty uses regular and gets much better gas mileage. Do miss full time 4 wheel drive on rainy days though. Never spun the tires coming off stop light on wet streets.

Jeep Jamborees are so much fun no matter if you are a newbie to off roading or an experienced driver. Always have someone available to tow you out if you get stuck like several Jeeps did in the quicksand at my first Jamboree at Canyon DeChilly, AZ. I was the only woman driver and never got stuck, but lots of the guys did.

Archived