SASS Wire Forum

Who else makes their own leather items?

Johnny Dollar

I know by far I'm not the only one.. saw someone in the classified looking to for tools etc. so I started wondering if others make things to use for SASS. I haven't seen a thread on leather making so I'd like to see things made by other folks.

I've been making stuff for many years on and off but it really took off when I joined SASS. I learned how to do it from my Dad who started as something to do after coming back from overseas after WWII. He was in the Navy. I'm using all his tools plus some I’ve bought along the way. There always seems to be one more tool you need.... :)

My most recent project was a set of holsters and belt for my Uberti 1872 open tops in .45 colt in the style of the California Slim Jim.

Anyway, I've made a few simple holsters and other things in the past but this project took on a different direction then the others.

I decided to make these lined, use some conchos and nickel spots. I glued two pieces of 5/7oz leather for the holsters and a single piece of 11oz for the belt. They are in a cross draw configuration since that how I shoot. The tooling pattern on the holsters was found online and the belt pattern came from an old camp chair my Dad made decades ago. The chair is nowhere to be found but the instructions were still in my leather library..... :) I tooled my alias initials in the center.

The belt is 3" wide and I used a forged iron buckle that I bought....

So here are the photos. The photo showing the liner being glued in looks dark. I took those with my iPad and it came out looking like that but they are lighter as in the rest of the photos. Sorry for all the photos!

IMG_0325_zpsilc17pel.jpg

DSC_2623_zpscruvjyz4.jpg
DSC_2622_zpsiq2i19pf.jpg
DSC_2621_zpsftqhldtz.jpg

DSC_2627_zpsmjkpftfh.jpg

DSC_2624_zpstlmcse2z.jpg

IMG_0313_zpshakklgik.jpg

Couple other things....

A set of holsters for my cap and ball 1860's

IMG_0099_zps91c4bcd6.jpg

And a belt pouch and knife sheath

photo4_zps517c3c5a.jpg
photo3_zpsbceda0ad.jpg
photo5_zps6aa572dc.jpg

I make all my own stuff . there is a place in the forums it is called wild west arts down at the bottom of the forum

I make all my own stuff . there is a place in the forums it is called wild west arts down at the bottom of the forum

Wow! I'm on the board at least once a day and have never seen that forum..... :( I seem to stay in this one or the classified everyonce in a while.

Those are cool! I really like them holsters pard.

Nice, very nice. I appreciate your skills.

That's amazing. I wish I had the skill to work leather. That's some amazing looking work there.

Thanks all! I have fun with it...... I am by no means the artist that lots of leather workers are but at my skill level it's surprisingly not as difficult as it may look. More folks should try it.

I'd like to see photos of others work.

Never did any leather work, but since starting CAS, I've tried a few small things. No holsters, just some accessories..loading blocks, etc.

20141231_195246_zpsb81b2fb2.jpg

20141231_195207_zpse9ea15e6.jpg

20141231_195224_zps5a311bf7.jpg

The tool thread on the classifieds was probably mine. I used to do leatherwork a long time ago and want to start again. Haven't done tooling in years but I did just recently repurpose on old grungy actual cowboy used pair of shotgun chaps. I removed the zippers, reshaped them a bit, put on leg straps, slotted conchos and bleed knots, then put on new leather belts front and back that I cut and dyed. Want to make some holsters, belts, sheaths etc

IMG_0961.jpg

WOW guys, I am really impressed. For a forum that is dedicated to cowboy leather you might try the CAS City leather forum. In reality, one could make a very nice basic gun rig with very little in the way of speciality tools. I would even recommend that you do not buy a tool unless the job can not be performed without it as leather tools are like fishing lures, either designed to hook the buyer or, in some cases, to speed up the job for a professional! Anyone can learn to do a good job of making cowboy leather BUT, like with all things, there are the ones who seem to have been born with those special talents.

Lucky, that is a fabulous looking rig! ;) I need to practice more on bullet loops....

Red, I believe it was your ad that got me thinking. I like your chaps and have been thinking about making some. One of these days I will. Its one of those "around to it" things. :)

Slowhand, I am on the CAS leather site every now and again. Lots of talent over there for sure! I've gotten lots of ideas from them. You are so right with respect to the tools. Lots of great leather has been made with homemade tools of one sort or another. It really isn't rocket science as they say.... :)

Here is a copy I made of the rig Geronimo surrendered when he turned himself in

Calvin, that is very impressive to say the least! I like the spots you picked out. I looked for some like that for mine but could find any. Tandy doesn't sell those and there is a store near where I work so I just go there. I'm thinking about getting a makers stamp.

Johnny, I have a whole box of Round Tuits somewhere. When I find them I'll bring you several at the next Bounty Hunter match.

Jess.... just bring yourself to the next match. I really do have enough of my own plus whatever the little lady of the house throws at me. :)

Archived