SASS Wire Forum

New Chip in Credit Card

Aunt Jen

Vending machines have a "descriminator" mechanism.... essentially nothing more than a magnet - Canadian coins are "magnet grab-able," US coins are not.

Makes ours more difficult to pick up when ya drop 'em and happen to have a telescoping magnet in your pocket.... :mellow:

I like the "chip" cards, in Canada we have been using them for at least 5 years now. Fast to use and very secure. Both the wife and I are frustrated when we come south every year having to dig out our darn drivers license every time we want to use our Visa when at home all we have to do is type in our personal 4 digit PIN code.

I like the "chip" cards, in Canada we have been using them for at least 5 years now. Fast to use and very secure. Both the wife and I are frustrated when we come south every year having to dig out our darn drivers license every time we want to use our Visa when at home all we have to do is type in our personal 4 digit PIN code.

When I go to Toronto and use my chipless card, clerks look at the card for a minute, then look at me, then get an expression like they just realized I'm handicapped or something. Then they fumble around trying to remember how to print out a receipt for me to sign.

Archived