SASS Wire Forum

Best Brand of Box Wine

Aunt Jen

I am still stumbling around Angels Stadium looking for my car. As you may know, I can't think straight due to being chilidog deficient.

HOWEVER, if ever do get home, I should get myself a box if good wine---with it's own plastic pouring spout, like Walter Matthau likes.

So im wondering which brand is best?

I haven't tasted one that I like very much so I can't help.

Jen, what it boils down to is sampling and finding one you like. :)

I know a number of people "in the biz," from growers to cellar managers. Winemaking has evolved to a point where it's at least as much science as art... and as a result, there are some perfectly enjoyable beverages available at modest prices. You may have read about "Two-Buck Chuck" winning several fairly prestigious awards in blind competitions - much to the consternation of a few high-priced labels. :rolleyes:

To quote an article by a South American vintner:

"Studies have shown that, when blinded, even the most experienced wine tasters give different reviews of the same wine depending on their mood or the time of day. Everybody has experienced being dazzled by a wine tasted in a romantic setting -- think fire-lit rooftop of Cavas Wine Lodge in Mendoza -- only to be less impressed by the same wine being consumed in another setting..."

A good read! ^_^

Is winemaking an Art or a Science?

Welch's.

John Cleese made a documentary called "Wine for the Confused" that peels away some of the whitewash so normal people can figure out how to find wines they enjoy. If you can find it on video I recommend it.

But to answer the original question, I grab a Franzia Crisp White when I'm in a hurry. If I know I'll use up a bottle when I open it (like if I have company) I'll get one of the local Finger Lakes wines. But for something to stash in the refrigerator for when I want the occasional glass, the box rules. Wine stays good longer in the box than in an opened bottle,

Bandit box wine is good. They have whites, and several reds, including cab, pinot noir, and red blends. These are one-liter boxes, though, not larger "countertop" boxes.

We buy them for backpack trips. We do a lot of one-night overnighters, so we like to bring wine and steaks. Bottles are heavy.

They are good.

Skye vodka and welch's.

Mix to taste.

Works for me. I never acquired the taste for wine, Mrs. Lose on the otherhand knows her wine. She has box of Pinot Grigio in the fridge quite often, red wine not to often.

Hmmm...??? I'm inclined to drink red? Thoughts on red???

And should I store it in the fridge or on the counter??

Reds generally are stored at about 55 degrees. A bit too warm for a fridge and a bit too cold for the counter, unless you live in a colder cliimate. But that's really for long term storage. Short term won't really matter thjat much.

A good red should really be consumed at around 70 degrees for maximun flavor. Whites at a cooler temp.

A very nioce cheap red wine is a shiraz from Australia; Little Penguin. Very tasty and only about 12 bucks for the 1.5 liter bottle.

Jen, what it boils down to is sampling and finding one you like. :)

I know a number of people "in the biz," from growers to cellar managers. Winemaking has evolved to a point where it's at least as much science as art... and as a result, there are some perfectly enjoyable beverages available at modest prices. You may have read about "Two-Buck Chuck" winning several fairly prestigious awards in blind competitions - much to the consternation of a few high-priced labels. :rolleyes:

To quote an article by a South American vintner:

"Studies have shown that, when blinded, even the most experienced wine tasters give different reviews of the same wine depending on their mood or the time of day. Everybody has experienced being dazzled by a wine tasted in a romantic setting -- think fire-lit rooftop of Cavas Wine Lodge in Mendoza -- only to be less impressed by the same wine being consumed in another setting..."

A good read! ^_^

Is winemaking an Art or a Science?

+10

When I was in Bahrain we would get 1 no fly day every 45 days or so. The enlisted furnished the steaks, The Chiefs furnished the beer, and the officers furnished the hard stuff. Whn the Brits were in town they would make a run to Greece and return with a good sampling of lamb, cheese, wine, and the like. All the wine came in small boxes about twice the size of a juice box. Couple of the wine snobs complained until they tried some. As the party went on we Americans were enlightened as to the advantages of wine in boxes.

1. Light proof so sunlight has no effect on the wine. Sunlight damages the wine which is why wine bottles tend to be tinted.

2. Airtight. No matter the wine, once opened if air gets inside it will change the taste. Boxes that have a bladder inside means that air never gets to contaminate the product. Allows you to buy in quantity without sacrificing quality.

3. Lastly boxes are much easier to transport than glass. Don't have to worry about breakage and boxes pack better than bottles.

Some of the best wines come in boxes for the above reasons. So never let anyone tell you that boxed wines are poor quality. Because there is more than a lot of truth in what Hardpan stated.

It is hard to recommend a wine as peoples tastes very widely. Best bet is to attend parties where other people furnish the wine and sample them until you find what you like. Then buy wines that are similar until you find the perfect one. Will save you a lot of money on wines you don't drink because you dislike the taste and you get to meet new and interesting people in the process.

Jen, ya needs to get yerself one o' these gizmos... only does one thing, but it does it well. Mark where ya left yer car and mark yer favorite wine store. :rolleyes:

And it's on sale! ^_^

Back Track GPS

opplanet-bushnell-bear-grylls-edition-ba

Some of the best wines come in boxes for the above reasons. So never let anyone tell you that boxed wines are poor quality.

Right. There's probably been more plonk packaged in bottles than was ever packaged in boxes. I think the idea that box wine is inferior comes from the early days of box packaging, when nobody wanted to trust their good stuff to it until it was proven to be reliable. You can still buy some poor wine in boxes, but that's not the box's fault. It's no different than bottled wine.

In Canada you can buy some very good wines in what look like quart milk cartons. It's the same sort of sterile box packaging as a juice box, but bigger and with a screw cap. It's great for picnics and backpacking because it's lighter and less fragile than a glass bottle.

Don't buy the cheapest box. But the most expensive probably isn't worth it.

After the second glass you won't care.

Jen, ya needs to get yerself one o' these gizmos...

It wouldn't help, Hardpan. My problem is that I'm malnourished, chilidog deficient, leaving me stumbling around in what appears to be the dark, groping at things like a tired zombie.

I'm afraid there's only one thing that will cure this awful problem...

:)

Alrighty, Jen...

In the best spirit of Badger Mountain Charlie... your Virtual Chili Dawg! ^_^

chili-dogs_istockphoto1.jpg

Alrighty, Jen...

In the best spirit of Badger Mountain Charlie... your Virtual Chili Dawg! ^_^

chili-dogs_istockphoto1.jpg

Wait!

I'm having a vision!! I think I can see--- YES, I think I CAN SEE A---

Could it be?

Yesssss......!!!!

It IS~!! :lol:

(Dave, the mustard's on the side... hasn't been pumped on yet. ;) )

Yesssss......!!!!

It IS~!! :lol:

(Dave, the mustard's on the side... hasn't been pumped on yet. ;) )

Just as long as some is available It is un-American to eat a chili cheese dog without mustard. :ph34r:

OMG! Double OMG!

There I was, stumbling in a stupor. You all know the feeling. Wondering aimlessly in a fog, thoughts not formed well enough to even worry about it: just the feelings of need and worry, past comprehension, the car long forgotten.

I stumbled over what was obviously a double duelist---so the saloons must have closed---and hit my head on a wooden doorway of some kind. I don't know what it was, but I think it was a house of I'll repute of some kind owned by a guy---Dennie was it?

They rushed me out of there, so I stumbled on my way, like a zombie with no brains to eat, exhausted, not even a thought to form.

When all of a sudden, I had this Vision: the most miraculous thing, a full Monty chilidog with cheese and onions---no mustard.

I didn't know what to say! I couldn't think! It looked like Hardpan Curmudgen, so I nearly went the other way,,but he was holding the chilidog, beckoning, beckoning.

I reached out, and like all chilidog deficient stumblers who are mistaken for zombies, I said, "Aaaaarrrgh...," weakly so.

The vision of Hardpan said, "Aaaaaargh" right back, so I took a few steps toward him. He retreated. I stepped some more....

Until, all of a sufden, i found myself in some humane place with a woman standing in front of me, hovering over me---me stretched out on a gurney, with three paramedics slowly putting little bits of chilidog in my mouth.

YES, you're right---what you're thinking: I'd followed the vision of the chilidog all the way to DODGER STADIUM, life, and civility.

Bota Box Wine. It is the bet of them all. Red or white they are all very good

I tried this for the first time recently and liked it.

Try some Vella Merlot, Pardners! If you like red, you'll like this...............Please go get some, and then weigh in on how you liked it. Because you'll like it! Chill very slightly.

Archived