SASS Wire Forum

A "STANDARD" stage proposal.....

Rancho Roy

I was talking to a bunch of shooters at a match yesterday. I've been thinking about a proposal I'd like to suggest.

At every match, the last stage of the day would be a "standard" stage. Could be called a "reference" stage.

Set up exactly the same way at every match in the country. Exact same distances, exact same size targets, Exact same layout and relatively easy scenario. No knock downs that might be set harder or softer. Simple rifle, pistol and shotgun targets.

In this way folks could see how much they are progressing as the year and their SASS life goes on. And folks could compare their times with friends and others around the country.

Everyone I've mentioned this to thought it had merit.

What say the ranch?

A few years ago folks set up the "Worlds Record Stage" just as you mentioned.

It is a good idea. One problem is that clubs often don't have the same size steel, but most can come close.

They even tracked who shot it in what time for the record.

I'm sure there are some video's of the top shooters shooting it.

2 or 3 times a year would be plenty. Every shoot would become boring.

Marauder is correct.

There is a standard type stage already established (unofficial) by Doc Shapiro and Lead Dispenser for their Cowboy World Records website.

It not only has info about setting up the stage, target size and distances, but it also has it by category and the record runs within that category.

If your club so desires, they can set up this type stage every month (or as often as they prefer) and use it during a match.

A couple of the clubs I attend use that stage setup about once a year and it is a fun stage. BUT, I wouldn't want to shoot it every month.

..........Widder

Marauder is correct.

There is a standard type stage already established (unofficial) by Doc Shapiro and Lead Dispenser for their Cowboy World Records website.

It not only has info about setting up the stage, target size and distances, but it also has it by category and the record runs within that category.

If your club so desires, they can set up this type stage every month (or as often as they prefer) and use it during a match.

A couple of the clubs I attend use that stage setup about once a year and it is a fun stage. BUT, I wouldn't want to shoot it every month.

..........Widder

+1

People have already came up with a standard and have had many shoot it.

Was even set up at EOT one year on side match day.

Have not heard much about it in the last few years.

But it is there for those that want to.

And agree that a few times a years is plenty.

Every match or every month would be over kill.

No thanks. Given the round count of 10-10-4+ you can gauge your progress pretty well. Part of the fun and true measure of your improvement is the ability to handle different stage designs and scenarios.

http://www.spencerhoglund.com/worldrecords.html

Here is an explanation, along with videos of the runs in each category that make the top 4. These are the ones that have been submitted, don't have any idea as to when they were set. But it allows you to see how you do against some of the fastest in the game that attempted a run.

No thanks. Given the round count of 10-10-4+ you can gauge your progress pretty well. Part of the fun and true measure of your improvement is the ability to handle different stage designs and scenarios.

Yep

One club I shoot at has what they call a speed stage. It's left set up and is shot every month. I don't find it boring in the least. It lets you go full out with all you got. Nothing complicated, and the targets are very generous. Not surprising, the record time is held by Matt Black, at 11.11 seconds.

RBK

too funny, I was talking to Bugler about this very thing a month ago. I think it's a great tool for all shooters, all you ever hear about is the overall winners at big matches, this would allow people to see how they stack up against category winners. This would be great for those who can't make big shoots.

No for me...Boring!

Want to find out how one stacks up against the top shooters? Go shoot against them. There's a big difference between running a stage at a monthly and running the same stage at a National or World Championship.

Phantom

Want to find out how one stacks up against the top shooters? Go shoot against them. There's a big difference between running a stage at a monthly and running the same stage at a National or World Championship.

Phantom

+ infinity

Running all out, especially on a meaningless stage, may give you an idea of your potential.

Actually competing against the best on the same range, on the same steel actually tells you how you stack up.

Speaking for myself, I consider myself a pretty decent shooter and I can hold my head up against most on a stage by stage basis.

But for whatever reason, I cannot hold a match together, so no matter how well I may run an individual stage, I will never be more than an also ran until I can complete the deal.

That's when I will be able to compare myself to top shooters and have comparasion mean anything.

It might be fun but I don't know what it would prove. Most everyone's times would get better with repetition but I am not sure improvement on one stage would translate to overall improvement. Our game is all about quickly planning and executing efficient movement under match pressure.

Archived