SASS Wire Forum

WTC sass sidematch rules

SHOOTIN FOX

I need to clear something up in my own mind. Recently attended a state level match where the rules stated all SASS rules were in effect. During a sidematch for derringers, noted two things that were out of the normal.

Saw a shooter fanning a derringer.

Saw a shooter shoot the table, not once , but twice.

TO did not call either one.

Do the rules apply or not?

You can slip hammer a Derringer but not fan it. Depending on the way the match was characterized, some side match infractions carry over to the main match so the shooter that shot the table twice could be eligible for a MDQ before the main match started.

You can slip hammer a Derringer but not fan it. Depending on the way the match was characterized, some side match infractions carry over to the main match so the shooter that shot the table twice could be eligible for a MDQ before the main match started.

Most side matches are a separate match so a MDQ would not carry over. But this may very.

Howdy, there was a lot of disagreement a ways back about match DQ forward. The feeling, as I remember it, was that side matches are a somewhat different critter to shoot than the main match. It was felt that DQ forward would affect side match attendance and was largely dropped by a lot of big matches. As a TO at side match day for several annuals and our state match, I am not sure I really agree with that policy. I think if someone shoots the table as you witnessed or tries to shoot his/her foot during speed pistol, they prehaps should be done for the weekend.

Kingfish Dave

DQs at side matches do NOT carry over and nor should they!!

I wouldn't shoot another side match if they did!!!

Yep - I'd be sitting on side match day right along with ya.

and save me a spectator chair also... ;)

..........Widder

For a while DQs at side matches carried fwd. Then it was a club sponsor choice whether they did and it looks like now they never carry fwd. When was the last chg?

Founders Ranch events were the last holdout for mandatory enforcement of "DQ forward" from sidematches and warmups.

After a Buckaroo got MDQd during a father/son team event (loaded revolver fell out of a holster during a run, IIRC), the WB decided to dispense with that concept altogether.

That was about 8+ or so years ago...the announcement can likely be found in the archives of the "Territorial Bulletins" under the minutes of the State & Regional MD meetings if one cares to search for the exact date.

The "DQ forward" requirement for SASS-sanctioned matches DID have an effect on sidematch participation.

I appreciate the answers from everyone. The problem I saw was the TO allowed the shooter to continue shooting for time after the infraction and did nothing about it. Should the shooter be D Qd from the side matches or allowed to continue with no Penalty?

Not trying to be retroactive, just looking for the actual rule.

Fox

If you wanted to make a DQ carry across all stations on side match day, you would find record keeping to be very hard to do, the way that side matches are normally run as independent events on scattered bays at a match. As widely spread out as some side matches are, and as lightly managed as they sometimes get (they are staffed by last-minute volunteers, usually), even trying to DQ a shooter from taking part in other side matches that day becomes a labor-intensive affair.

But I could see it would be very nice if a Match Director / Side Match Director would declare - if you have a safety problem at the SDQ or MDQ severity level, your name is put on a list of shooters no longer allowed to shoot at that particular station the rest of the day. Most side matches have a scoring notebook on which the "leader board" info is kept. One section could record those "DQ'd from this station"

I would think this would be the best way to assure we are applying SASS penalties as per the rule book, and not just "laughing them off" and letting shooters continue in a dangerous manner (dangerous per the rules, not just some TO's opinion).

Good luck, GJ

..........Widder

Me too......couple more chairs and we could get us up a good game of Texas Holdem.

On the other hand, I sure as hell don't really want to participate in a sidematch with someone who has shot 1 hole through the table.....let alone 2.

just to clarify.I was not asking for a match Dq for the main match.

I was surprised that the TO allowed the shooters to continue shooting after what I thought was an action that was dangerous and against the SASS rule book.

I wanted an answer to the question, Do the safety rules apply to side matches?

Fox

And to play the devil's advocate, here, I am not sure how happy the insurance company would be with you letting someone shoot after you have DQd them for a major safety violation.

Shootin Fox, as Pale Wolf said above, there are no side match specific rules. However, the ROI handbook plainly states a round that strikes the ground or a prop with in 5 feet of the shooter is a DQ. I interpret that as a DQ from the side match.

Many years ago, a very good shooter had an AD while handling a derringer in their motorhome @ EOT in California. That shooter was DQ'd from shooting EOT. Probably between 1999-2001. Might be one reason for the DQ forward rule.

just to clarify.I was not asking for a match Dq for the main match.

I was surprised that the TO allowed the shooters to continue shooting after what I thought was an action that was dangerous and against the SASS rule book.

I wanted an answer to the question, Do the safety rules apply to side matches?

Fox

Should they. Yes

Do some MDs and clubs vary. Yes

Was this a TO or MD decision?

Might be the MD never knew it happened and the TO for that side event didn't realize.

I MDQed a side match once. While that stank IF the MDQ had carried over I would still shoot side matches when available. Over the years more good has come out of them than bad for Me.

Yep - I'd be sitting on side match day right along with ya.

..........Widder

Me too......couple more chairs and we could get us up a good game of Texas Holdem.

On the other hand, I sure as hell don't really want to participate in a sidematch with someone who has shot 1 hole through the table.....let alone 2.

I'll bring the cigars.

DON'T forget the wine!!

If I bring the pie can I come too?

Yes!!!! but enuff for all of us!!

Archived