SASS Wire Forum

'97 Shotgun dryfire 'Practice' videos & info:

Widder, SASS #59054

Hey Pards, by request of Red Knee in Oklahoma and Korupt Karl in Indiana, I decided to make a couple videos and post them here on the Wire, in which it might help someone alittle.

These videos were taken on 2 separate evenings here at the bunkhouse.

and YES, it took me a few runs to get these particular runs that I wanted to share. The other runs will probably be submitted to 'Bloopers' TV..... ;)

EDIT: In the video, I mention the names of some of our best 'Over the Top' loaders like Deuce, Santa Fe River Stan and Arcadia Outlaw. I also meant to mention Two Gun Tuco, Prestidigitator, and of course Red Knee. If I were shooting a 97 and loading over the top, any of these pards that are still active in our game, would be someone I would be getting instructions and info from concerning techniques, etc...

I hope you enjoy and maybe learn something.

..........Widder

Hey Billy,

Ol' Widder's pretty smooth.....i'm gonna make him earn it at Hellfire this year...

Come on to Hellfire and witness first hand a long haired country boy showing respect for his elders....I'm gonna be very respectful and polite as I whoop up on him!! :)

Red Knee

Billy,

the last time Red Knee and I went head to head was HellFire 2013.

I timed him on Speed SG. When I gave him the beep, my hair was dark. When he finished his run, it had started to turn gray.

just sayin............. :lol::lol::lol::o

..........Widder

Billy,

I timed him on Speed SG. When I gave him the beep, my hair was dark. When he finished his run, it had started to turn gray.

..........Widder

Ouch.... haha

Hey Red Knee

That's funny

Billy,

..........Widder

It was great meeting you in Oklahoma we had a blast, thanks for letting my try your pistols

I don't know if we can make it to hell fire

But I am going to buy stock in winchester

I have a feeling there is going to be a lot of hulls fired

Maybe a top gun shoot out with all shotgun targets

Billy the Avenger

I shoot doubles most of the time so please forgive an ignorant question. It looks like you are pulling the trigger before the bolt is all the way forward, so I guess you are slam-firing each shot. Is that correct?

Good videos, and thanks.

Widder, good video I shot with Widder today. He live fires

as well as he dry fires. Look out Red Knee he was hot today.

Hey Purly,

Thanks for the update on Widder.....

Glad to hear he was shootin' good....I really want him to be able to put up a good fight.

As much as he dry fires every day....he may have "just enough" practice time between now and September to be able to hang with me....

Red Knee

First off Widder............good videos. Might give that method a try.

Now.....in the 1st video I thought weren't coming back! :lol:

...................and your bunkhouse reminds me of a garage :P

Wyatt, you thought 'what' wasn't coming back?

RED KNEE: with your reputation West and East of the Mississippi, I don't think its me you need to be ready for at HellFire. You might want to be getting ready for pards like Prestidigitator, Matt Black, Phantom and other Borgs like them..... ;)

..........Widder

Now not only is Widder fast but that is as smooth a technique as I have seen.

I Shoot my long guns left handed and I cannot seem to hit the port on a consistent angle and then get the 2nd shell (I pull 2 at a time) in a good position to load and fire fast and smooth.

Great videos and if any of you left handed 97 shooters want to share your mojo, well I would be grateful

Wyatt Hurts

Now not only is Widder fast but that is as smooth a technique as I have seen.

I Shoot my long guns left handed and I cannot seem to hit the port on a consistent angle and then get the 2nd shell (I pull 2 at a time) in a good position to load and fire fast and smooth.

Great videos and if any of you left handed 97 shooters want to share your mojo, well I would be grateful

Wyatt Hurts

Hey Wyatt,

Always a pleasure to find another left handed 97 shooter...

I think Duece made a video for shootin the 97 left handed by pulling 2 at a time...if you can find it that would be extremely helpful. He's da man!

I pull four at a time so my technique is a little different....if ya can't find Duece's video gimme a shout and I'd be glad to show ya what I know...

Red Knee

Hey Wyatt,

Always a pleasure to find another left handed 97 shooter...

I think Duece made a video for shootin the 97 left handed by pulling 2 at a time...if you can find it that would be extremely helpful. He's da man!

I pull four at a time so my technique is a little different....if ya can't find Duece's video gimme a shout and I'd be glad to show ya what I know...

Red Knee

Hi pard, just found his video. I can get a lot out of watching this! Now if I had hands the size of Duece I could pull 8 shells I think!

Wyatt Hurts

Wyatt,

type in that youtube site:

and it will bring that video up for all of us to see it. Deuce is a great teacher of good techniques and his videos are worth watching.

..........Widder

Hey Widder,

Ya done fergot to tell them your finger tips look like a tree frogs!!! -_- With them sticky little suction cups on the tips... :lol::lol::P

Spades H. JUST SAYIN, it makes a differance ya know!!! :P

Ok...I'm impressed! Gets me thinking about blowin' the dust and rust off my 97's???

Regards,

Ringer

thas a very good video!!!! he does it the way I do when I shoot the 97!!!! :o:o:o;);):D:D

I probably got 1 more video. Its the FUN part of dry firing practice.

I call it "Smack The Timer" and you will enjoy it. And it will probably make you laugh alittle.

..........Widder

That's somethin' Widder. All you guys shooting a pump like that are a real treat to watch. I notice more folks go over the top it seems. Some add a twist to their gun.

What have you noticed?

Then there is Ozark Az ....I notice he loads his first two over the top and the remaining to the side like you. It appears he does this to maybe load left handed while initially shoulders the shotgun right handed.

Wyatt,

type in that youtube site:

and it will bring that video up for all of us to see it. Deuce is a great teacher of good techniques and his videos are worth watching.

..........Widder

Here it is

Like I said give me paws like that and a few thousand hours of practice and..... I still would look slow in comparison :o

Wyatt Hurts

Hey Widder,

Ya done fergot to tell them your finger tips look like a tree frogs!!! -_- With them sticky little suction cups on the tips... :lol::lol::P

Spades H. JUST SAYIN, it makes a differance ya know!!! :P

Hummmmmmmmmm suction cups, How can I add them and call them an internal modification I wonder?

Wyatt Hurts

Widder....you are the man. and a Borg like Deuce.....the videos you both put out have and will continue to help all shooters. Widder between GF and the 97 and your work with the Marlin......you are an inspiration and have motivated me to practice......wish me luck. Deuce, you are so unique as you can do it all.....and I don't have to say more....anyone who watches you shoot recognizes the talent, speed and technique no matter what gun or style..

You guys, as well as other top shooters continue to help and assist so many. Thanks guys.

KK

Howdy Lumpy.

No, the '97 in those videos is an 09 series I got a couple years back and set up by Colt McAllister. I use it strickly for dryfire practice. It has probably 10,000 + cycles thru it. I have replaced the Ejector a couple times and tweaked the right side Extractor but other than that, its still hangin in there.

Of special note: I have my hammer tension screws on ALL my 97's torqued down as tight as possible because I want my hammers to fall as fast and hard as possible. I've had many folks check out my SG's and tell me I could make that hammer lighter and make it feel better. But in reality, when we are on the firing line and working the SG hard, I don't notice its stiffness. I like a FAST hammer.

The NEW '97 (I have 2 of them now) are just as smoooooth and slick and I only use them for my main match competition. They are just as fast, very reliable and a real kicker of empties.

..........Widder

Archived