SASS Wire Forum

First fly rod lesson, Tying knots without touching the line!

I found the ice dub in colors that look good. I would guess that probably 80% or more
of the fly patterns out there are tied to attract the fisherman and the fish just don't care.
Movement and visibility are probably more important than the butt feathers from a bustard
dyed yellow and blue.
I read this morning that the Olympic National Park officials have closed the upper HOH river, to ALL
FISHING, due to low water and small returns. That is the premier river in Washington for
big wild steelhead. Looks like another situation where the WDFW have allowed overfishing
of native stocks and then wonder where the fish went. The lower river is controlled by the
WDFW and apparently is a zoo with guides and locals fishing most of the year. I guess the
desire for $$$$ has over-rode the understanding that while the sea is vast and full of bounty,
it is not limitless.
Sorry to get off track, but the issue is disturbing to say the least.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't make it to the water. I am so anxious I could wet myself.

Gonna try again tomorrow. Problem is finding a lake that is not

populated with gear fishers, and has room for a back cast.

Dang trees and brush. I guess a roll cast will do in a pinch,

but I want to see what that baby will do under full power. :)

Didn't make it to the water. I am so anxious I could wet myself.

Gonna try again tomorrow. Problem is finding a lake that is not

populated with gear fishers, and has room for a back cast.

Dang trees and brush. I guess a roll cast will do in a pinch,

but I want to see what that baby will do under full power. :)

One other good reason for barbless hooks. They come out of the bratt who stood too close behind you.

Things have a way of taking a funny turn. That Ice Dub that I was talking about the other day, well I mentioned it on the

fly fishing forum and a fellow posted a picture of one of his bugs tied with the very same stuff. It looks like a killer

so I tied a few for me own self. Will try them out when I get the line wet.

Well, yesterday I got filled in by the Plantation Boss, on some odd jobs. Certainly no shortage of them, it seems.

Well is morning, a trip to the Cemetery to take some flowers and remember, then some shopping for vittles, and

then, perhaps then, a trip to the local waterway for some arm exercise.

That ice dub material is hard to find. I might stop by the shop this morning and see if he has any more on the

shelf. A little goes a long way, but there is a small amount in the packages. Hareline does not sell directly so

I am dependent on my local fly dealer to have it. But the up side is the chance to fondle all of the toys in the shop.

Archived