SASS Wire Forum

First fly rod lesson, Tying knots without touching the line!

I was going to go to the lake today, but the afernoon slipped away from me and I will not be able to make it.

If I can get my lazy bottom out of the sack in the morning, I might go for a short while before the herd

arrives at the pool.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sitting in the rain can be fun. Depends on what you are doing in the rain.

Fish don't seem to mind the extra water. I've caught a bunch in a gentle shower...but I will take cover from lightning.

Had the kayak out today and a storm blew in. Got into shore before the lightning started. Hung out in the truck and went back after the storm passed. Wasn't a stellar day fishing, couple bluegill and one skinny bass. No interest in being on a lake when the lightning starts flashing.

Rain, no worries, fish are already wet but lightning, no way.

GS

NOPE

I just have let things , get to where , I gotta deal with em instead of getting to go fishing

that be about to change , one of the things , is I gotta drag a bunch of weeds out of the pond

gotta wor& on the dam and pull about 3/4 to 7/8 of the lilly pads out

not gonna kill em all , just most of em .

CB

Barbless hooks are not truly appreciated until you decide wearing a fly for an earring is the latest fashion trend.

GS

I tried shad fishing with a flyrod and a 1/2oz shad jig ONCE. I was learning fly fishing, and the fellow I was with forgot to suggest using a sidearm motion with that heavy a jig. A 1/2 oz of lead to the back of the head really stings!! Luckily I didn't manage to hook myself!

Barbless hooks are not truly appreciated until you decide wearing a fly for an earring is the latest fashion trend.

GS

I tried shad fishing with a flyrod and a 1/2oz shad jig ONCE. I was learning fly fishing, and the fellow I was with forgot to suggest using a sidearm motion with that heavy a jig. A 1/2 oz of lead to the back of the head really stings!! Luckily I didn't manage to hook myself!

chuck and duck. I've used plastic worms on a fly rod. They slap the back of the head pretty good too.

I just watched a vid on fishing for Steelhead on the Babine river. What a paradise.

The day we left it started to snow and the owner of the lodge said it would quit sometime

around april. This was in early October. There are some big strong fish in that river.

The Canadians got it right.

The biggest bass I ever personally saw caught was a 6 pounder that came out of a pond about the size of a normal bedroom. Wasn't mine... it hit my buddy's top-water plug so hard it beached itself on the way down! I don't know who was more surprised...me, my buddy, or the fish!

I once fished a little pond that had been taken over by Bluegills. The bass had been fished out of it and, with no predator species, the Bluegills had multiplied until they were almost thick enough to walk on. They were all competing for food and we caught dozens, all about three inches long. You didn't even need bait, they would hit a bare hook as soon as it hit the water. It was amusing and fun for about five minutes then I tried every spot I could reach and it was the same story. Pond management is critical in keeping the ratio of predator to prey species in balance.

Years ago, somebody, an amateur marine biologist, I presume, introduced Brook trout to the lakes and water ways of Washington.

They are not native to this area. Lovely fish, but they reproduce in the mountain lakes where there is little bug life and scant

pickings for the dinner table. They compete with the cutthroat and rainbow and other native fish. The beauty of the thing is that

those little guys will hit and hit again. Never seen any big ones so I don't know if they do or not. The down side is that they keep the native fish from reproducing.

The WDFW, in their infinite wisdom, will poison off a lake because it does not produce TROUT. Lots of other fish but

the beat out the trout so they must go.

That same amateur biologist brought us several other species that are not native.

I was thunking on getting a new vise for the tying bench. Looked at the Nor Vise.

Think It would be the cats whiskers. Then I looked at my tying skills and I thought

maybe not. :lol:

Still haven't ruled out the idea.

I have two vises, well, actually I have a lot of vices, but only two tying vises. :D

My go to vise is an old Price Vise with a stationary head. I bought it back in the early

80's or late 70s. Good vise but the jaws are getting a bit worn and the grip, like mine,

is getting flimsy. I also have a Cabelas knockoff of the old Thompson vise that I used

for a traveling vise as it is in a wooden case with tools.

I would not classify either of these as STATE OF THE ART but the Price has served me

well. IIRC I paid about $60.00 for the Price at the time it was new.

Which model of the Renzetti? Good vises, big prices. But then again Norm is not giving

the Nor Vise away either. :lol:

Well, I certainly am no Rembrandt at the vise. But I enjoy wrapping hooks.

My eyes and hands have gone south on me along with a lot of other stuff.

Getting old sucks. That is why I would like to have a Nor Vise, for my hands

and fingers.

As usual I missed the boat. Thought I would not need or want a rotary vise when I was younger.

But I can see that it would be a real asset now. I have enough flies to fish for several lifetimes, so I

guess that a new vise is a moot point.

But I like to sit and tie on dark, cold, and rainy days. Maybe I will wait for the fishing to shut down to get one.

BMC,

I rarely use the rotary feature. Only flies I ever use it on are wooly buggers to wind the chenille and on a minnow fly I tie that has silver christmas tree icicles wrapped around the hook shank (interesting fly I call it a tinsel fly. White marabou about hook shank length for a tail, bead head, silver tinsel wrapped up the shank, tied off at the head with red thread.).

Simple fly but bass, bluegill and crappie eat them up. Looks a lot like a minnow swimming through the water.

Bottom line, don't worry about not having a rotary vice, they are not as useful as you would think.

GS

I have been playing with a woolie bugger pattern, using black and red marabou and some Hareline's Speckled Chenille Midnight Fire. What I have so far is a Black Marabou tail, Midnight fire body and a Grizzly hackle tied wet. Not a true bugger, but close enough that I don't think the fish will complain. Of course they will either take it or throw it back at me. I am going to save it for my new line. LOL.

Since I only have one so far, guess I should wrap a few more. A wise fisherman told me that if you tie a single fly and the fish

break it off, you are left with out a fly. Take three at least. So I will. They are easy to tie and I have all the materials at hand.

Well, breakfast, finish getting dressed. Gonna need socks and shoes today.

Do some things for momma and then perhaps sit at the vise for a while.

Mail won't be here until around 1500 hours so I can't do much with the reels

until I get the new line I ordered. Ho Hum another slow day at the plantation.

Hey BMC, I got the flyline today. Unfortunately I won't get a chance to use it until next week. I'm working the Bianchi Cup all week. I'm a member of the club where it is shot and they called last night needing help at the practice range. Looks like I'll spend the week running the moving targets. Man do those guys shoot a lot of rounds. Anyway I won't be on line much all week so I wanted to say thank you and hope that next week I can report on how I did with it.

Good show, old Chap! I got my new one today also. I will try to get out to test drive it sometime Thursday or next week. Looks good in the box. I think going up one line weight is going to help you on distance. I could be wrong on that, but I just got that feeling. Let me know if I can help you in any way. I'v got some bugs I want you guys to test out for me. As soon as I get them worked out to my satisfaction, I will box them up and get them in the mail to you guys.

Archived