SASS Wire Forum

Mars

Aunt Jen

Curiosity Takes beautiful sunset photo on Mars.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3071123/See-stunning-sunset-MARS-Curiosity-rover-captures-red-planet-s-blue-sky-star-sets-horizon.html

And Observer is still going strong since 2004----it was only to last 3 months! It was to find evidence of chilidogs, and it did plenty of that. Everywhere but Angels stadium. (to find evidence of past water, actually.)

http://news.yahoo.com/opportunity-rover-sees-rock-spire-mars-crater-photo-185025432.html

SOL 956 from a rover that was supposed to last 30 days. The energizer bunny of rovers, the little rover that could. I love all that space stuff, where do I sign up to go to Mars?

Saudi apparently.

1417456853373703100.jpg

I would be very interested in going to mars. There is a group that wants to make a one way trip, but I see net loss in that.

Mars is great.

But life is greater.

What I'm eager for, re Mars, is the movie The Martian that may come out this year, starring Matt Damon.

What I'm eager for, re Mars, is the movie The Martian that may come out this year, starring Matt Damon.

YESSSSS....!!! ^_^

One way trip aye? Himm I know some folks I'd like to sign up for that. and I suspect there are some that would like to sign me up for that too. I had anticipated coming back not settling there. Pioneering is for the young I was just an old guy going on the cruze.

I would be very interested in going to mars. There is a group that wants to make a one way trip, but I see net loss in that.

Mars is great.

But life is greater.

Book was outstanding, hope the movie is as good.

Mars One --- one way trip to Mars to colonize, and likely die:

http://www.mars-one.com/

The only way I would do such would be as if Tommy Lee Jones in Space Cowboys http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0186566/where I could save others or was dying anyway.

They wanna bs Martians?

Tommy became a Moonian.

Heinlein would be proud.

Bugs, if that space ship has the name of Carnival Cruise Lines on the side, I think I would pass.

At my age I am thinking that terra firma is good enough for me. Even with global warming/climate change,

shortage of clean water and dirty socks, it is HOME.

Those Mars One folks are about 10 light years this side of reality! We simply don't know the long-term effects of low-g (IF they spin the ship on the way) on the human body. Neither do we have sufficent engineering data on cosmic ray protection materials (certain plastics appear more promising than metals, which will cause secondary radiation when hit by high-energy cosmic radiation. NASA says 2030 to "land" on Phoboes, one of Mars' moons, and 2039 to land on the surface. The latter might happen on my 97th birthday, so I might consider it! Of course, given the Apollo program's rate of accomplishment, we should have landed a crew on Mars in 1982! Frankly, even though I'm a founding member of the Mars Society, I think we need to set up a manned research station on our own Moon, first, and determine the effect of 1/6g on the human body, plus a bunch of other stuff...testing nuclear thermal or other propulsion devices, large array radio and optical telescopes (on the far side), etc. But there has to be leadership from the Head Shed, and support from the general public, or we are stuck in this "1g gravity well"!

Ad LEO! Ad Luna! Ad Ares! Ad ASTRA!

Terraforming Mars should be easy. Afterall, we terraformed Angel's Stadium a couple of times. Hire the same guys to do it. Then we could not have chilidogs there, too.

Of course, astronauts then wouldn't wanna go.

Currently, I assume people are selected for the astronaut program based on the highest bidder: those who can pay the most get selected. That's why I'm nit an astronaut: because I only offered $100, which was a lot of money for me at the time.

Archived