SASS Wire Forum

AAPL Watch Without an iPhone

Aunt Jen

From an online review

What it does, what it is

Much like most other smartwatches, the Apple Watch isn't a standalone device -- it's a phone accessory. Android Wear, Samsung Gear, Pebble and others work the same way. But here, you must own an iPhone 5 or later to use the Watch. A few Apple Watch functions work away from the phone, but the watch primarily works alongside the phone as an extension, a second screen and basically another part of your iOS experience. It's a symbiote.

I got distracted with other projects. So if I knew this, I forgot.

But for those all who know, what all will an Apple watch fo if you DON'T have an iPhone?

Empty your wallet ;):D :D :lol:

Empty my purse? :) I don't plan to buy one. I was wondering if there was any use for the thing, for me, if I don't pair it with an iPhone, and it doesn't look like much.

What I'm also concerned about is what I'll do if, say, a doctor or lawyer comes into the room wearing one. I know phones can record, these days, but I'm not sure I like the idea of someone who is supposed to be confidential with me holding (basically) a recorder in his hand (or on his wrist).

If I find a doctor or lawyer, etc., with a device that could record (google glass, apple watch, etc.), then I think I'd just say that I'd rather not talk with the recorder present.

I actually do like the Star Trek world, but in that system, information management has matured. At this time, it has not, and the durndest things happen sometimes. I've been in and around the medical field so long.........you'd be surprised.

so I'm not just assessing whether or not I'll use one, but under what circumstances I'm willing to let one be around me.

The Apple watch will allow you to record short voice messages, but nothing like you are concerned about. Wife has one and loves it. Without the phone it is basically a timepiece, although the heart monitor, calendar and activity programs all seem to work without the iPhone. Actually, It is a pretty neat piece of tech!

Archived