SASS Wire Forum

Utah Bob, You're not the only one with good finds!

Dorado

So this weekend I was down at the Pate swap meet at the Texas Motor Speedway. While looking around for some much needed parts for my cars I found a little booth with some military items. Most were junk but I did have a sweet little find. I got me a WWII Map case and 1941 Basic Field Manual (FM 21-100 Soldier's Handbook). Inside the handbook was the original owner's auto insurance card. So I believe the handbook was owned by a S/Sgt. Alvin Hayes of Fort Riley, Kansas. He owned a 1937 Buick Sedan. It is entirely possible that both the map case and the handbook were owned by S/Sgt. Hayes.

While I was there to sell a bunch of parts and buy some that I needed I couldn't help but find that across from my booth and a couple of slots over a fellow that had a truckload of WWII cots. He let me buy one off of him, he bought them for his reenactment group the 6th Calv. out of Houston but parted with one. I've almost got enough for a good display. Just need a few more items and I'll be set!

I got the Map case, Handbook, and Cot for $60 total. Here's a couple of pictures of the case and book.

IMG_1564_zpswwq8c253.jpg

IMG_1565_zps103bbq6t.jpg

I'd like to learn a bit more about S/Sgt. Hayes. Anyone know how I can find out more? Such as what outfit he was in, etc?

Archived