SASS Wire Forum

More Info Grabbing

Aunt Jen

This morning, I went to Target to get a few things. Among them was a bottle of Nyquil against that distant day when I may ever get a cold. (I don't get them much.) Checking out, the cashier required my driver's license for it. I refused. I asked to speak to someone about why, and a supervisor said it is because they're required in California now to log DATES OF BIRTH into their computer system on the purchase of cold medicine.

I told her I doubt that's true. (I've heard nothing.) And I refused to give the data. She said I couldn't buy it, and I said okay. I also said, however that if they were worried, I could go somewhere else where management doesn't lie to employees about why they're collecting driver's license info/DOB, buy it there, so what difference does it make? She sounded very credible when she told me all stores are required to collect that data, and I wouldn't be able to get but a minimum amount due to limits put on purchasers.

I didn't buy it. I got my other stuff, and left.

I went to see "Ex Machina," the movie on Artificial Intelligence in my other thread.

THEN, after the movie, I went to the grocery store for---you know---groceries, and among them, I also bought a bottle of that same Nyquil. At the register, the register said to check my I.D., but the cashier said it was only to see that I'm of age, as if it were a purchase for liquor. I happen to be nearly 60---only look 26, Ah-HEM!---and she could tell I was of age, so she didn't demand to see the driver's license, and even if she had of, they didn't need to log my DOB in her computer system.

HERE AGAIN: I can check this with some other retailer at some time (in a year?) if I ever buy another bottle, but it 's just another attempt by a retailer to pressure people into dishing over private information.

The resale market for private info must be pretty rich.

The resale market for private info must be pretty rich.

I'm not so sure that's it, or not all of it anyway. Some companies' lawyers and / or insurers are so ready to collectively soil themselves at the thought of a lawsuit or government investigation that they convince their clients to err on the side of caution to cover their assets.

The solution is, of course, to do what you did. Call them on it and vote with your feet and your wallet,

I'm not so sure that's it, or not all of it anyway. Some companies' lawyers and / or insurers are so ready to collectively soil themselves at the thought of a lawsuit or government investigation that they convince their clients to err on the side of caution to cover their assets.

I'm afraid Sparky is right. When I questioned our local Target as to why I had to show a DL etc. for some cold medicine, I was actually told the info Sparky gave you by the pharmacist. Nanny state regulations are making it impossible to be honorable citizens in Cali any more. The regulations haven't done much to slow down the drug epidemic but by God, we're all safer because of them.........

large purchases of cold meds are controlled because they are used to make methamphetamines

For some of the ingredients, that's true. But the lady at the grocery was only making sure I was of age, for the Nyquil.

I agree: vote with you feet. :)

I would have left ALL the stuff at Target. Not just the stuff they wanted DOB for.

But I have been accused of being petty.

large purchases of cold meds are controlled because they are used to make methamphetamines

I've heard that crap for years now and have never seen a shred of evidence to back it up. My one package every few months isn't a danger to anyone.

Just put a tracking info chip under the skin of each person at birth, Like a chip the Vet puts in your pet for ID. When you go through the checkout line, the bar code of your purchases could be linked to the chip (please stand here so scanner can auto scan you) and then sold to marketing agencies. A form of revenue for the State. Also helpful in catching fugitives on the run when they go through a scanner in some store. What would jam up the system would be the folks that didn't have a chip and the purchase link couldn't connect to the chip and the computer would lockup.

You could get present day folks chipped up if you offered them a one time $20 discount on their next purchase if they got the chip. People would flock to that. Starting with Walmart customers would be the easiest and get the majority of the folks in short order.

Happy Trails,

The technology is already here. :(

They (government) could also say you need a chip to receive welfare, SS,Medicare and unemployment compensation. :(:(

Dang, that sounds negative.

But on the bright side, you get fed, clothed and doctored. :D

When I buy hooch at my local grocery store they enter my birth date into the register to verify I'm old enough, but nothing that identifies that it's -me- buying it. The law here is that anyone who "appears" to be under 30 must be carded when buying alcohol or tobacco. Rather than get dragged into court because some teenaged cashier thought a 19-year-old customer "appeared" to be 30, the store policy is to card everybody and the cash registers enforce it. No birthdate, no sale.

There's also a benefit to having the register review the birth date. Said teenaged cashier probably can't even make change without the register telling him how much to give; he's much less likely to be able to do calendar arithmetic in his head to figure out how old the customer is. Plus then if the customer complains it's the register's fault, not the cashier's.

Entering DOB but not identity?

Maybe.

But it can also be CONFIRMING your identity while a database connects facial recognition (growing in popularity) with identities.

Everybody at the store knows me already. That kind of facial recognition isn't scary.

I'm with Alpo. I'm also petty. I also don't like Target for anything (separate reason). Had an unrelated incident with a retailer who refused to honor their own gift card for ten bucks off. Left my entire purchase on the counter and left. Won't go back ..... ever!

Coffinmaker

That is for medicines that contain pseudoephedrine. The popular formula and method for making meth begins with a quantity of pseudoephedrine. By preventing people from buying (or stealing, since it wasn't behind the counter until the law passed) 10-20 packages at once, the feds figured they would prevent small time manufacturers from making meth.

That is for medicines that contain pseudoephedrine. The popular formula and method for making meth begins with a quantity of pseudoephedrine. By preventing people from buying (or stealing, since it wasn't behind the counter until the law passed) 10-20 packages at once, the feds figured they would prevent small time manufacturers from making meth.

Yep, but it hasn't made a dent in the production of meth. It's an exercise in mental masturbation to make the public feel that something worthwhile is be done in the war against drugs. I now have to present a driver's license for some of my prescription Rx because of the "war on drugs". Just like gun control, the regs only punish law abiding citizens.

Just in case anyone thinks these regs are in any way effective, I have a family member who's been able to score meth anytime, anywhere. Currently he's in detention. He's said that on the street, it would take him just minutes to acquire some -- or any other drug of choice.

When I buy hooch at my local grocery store they enter my birth date into the register to verify I'm old enough, but nothing that identifies that it's -me- buying it. The law here is that anyone who "appears" to be under 30 must be carded when buying alcohol or tobacco. Rather than get dragged into court because some teenaged cashier thought a 19-year-old customer "appeared" to be 30, the store policy is to card everybody and the cash registers enforce it. No birthdate, no sale.

There's also a benefit to having the register review the birth date. Said teenaged cashier probably can't even make change without the register telling him how much to give; he's much less likely to be able to do calendar arithmetic in his head to figure out how old the customer is. Plus then if the customer complains it's the register's fault, not the cashier's.

Teenagers shouldn't be selling alcohol (cashier). ;)

I do however get your point about 'CARDING' everyone to verify age. Carding someone for alcohol/tobacco sales has been a practice like, forever. So has the use of false ID to purchase same. :D

So, Aunt Jen, get some fake ID. :lol: Something that shows your true age of ...........26!!!

I've met Aunt Jen, 26 is about right.

Another way they collect info is online, they have a contest for a give away, and you have to put in DOB along with a bunch of other stuff. I am a sucker to win stuff, but not at the expense of my personal data. Many web sites require such info to create an account, I used to just give false info, but then I'd forget the password and couldn't verify what DOB I gave them to get the password reset. Any more I just don't create new accounts online that require personal info, it ain't worth it to me.

Many states including Colorado have drivers licenses that are vertical for minors and horizontal for adults. Smart clerks know they don't have to read the DOB just look at the orientation of the license.

-

Many states including Colorado have drivers licenses that are vertical for minors and horizontal for adults. Smart clerks know they don't have to read the DOB just look at the orientation of the license.

and chipped text on Flintstone for old fossils that are still driving.

Here's your chance to live a dream! Create a whole seperate identify for on-line and retail use! As long as you don't use it for illicit activity or to defraud, or to impersonate a real person or an LEO, there is no legal ramification. And if you use it consistently, you are less likely to forget your "DOB" or any other identifier you adopt.

Let's see....35 years old, 6'2". 200 lbs., blonde, with an annual income over $200K; sounds about right!

LL

Here's your chance to live a dream! Create a whole seperate identify for on-line and retail use! As long as you don't use it for illicit activity or to defraud, or to impersonate a real person or an LEO, there is no legal ramification. And if you use it consistently, you are less likely to forget your "DOB" or any other identifier you adopt.

Let's see....35 years old, 6'2". 200 lbs., blonde, with an annual income over $200K; sounds about right!

LL

been doing that for years.

Howdy,

If you don't want to leave a big wide info trail, stop by YOUR bank and take some

bucks out of their cash machine and pay cash at routine retail purchases.

Most banks have NO fee for this. If your bank has a fee for taking cash out

then consider a different bank. I have avoided a LOT of fees just thinking ahead.

And be aware some retailers DO give as much as a FIVE percent discount for CASH.

Buy that big screen tv CASH and ask. No paper trail, no card numbers to steal.

And if you must use credit cards have two or three or four and rotate use so

no one card has a real picture of your purchases.

I like Target, I see a nice clean store with clean bathrooms.

And fairly often the folks working there actually know the answer to my questions.

They have a decent return policy. Just keep those receipts.

Just a couple ideas for coping with the INFORMATION AGE.

Best

CR

Archived