SASS Wire Forum

Artificial Intelligence

Aunt Jen

This thread is to discuss the lesson of "Ex Machina," the tech/thriller movie that's in movie theatres, now,

SPOILER ALERT: If you don't want to hear plot details, then DO NOT READ FURTHER.

The plot is about a coder (programmer) of a company that is like unto Google, who is brought to the C.E.O.'s remote house/research facility where the coder is alone with the C.E.O. and his research projects on Artificial Intelligence. The coder, we're told at the beginning, is there for a Turing test (interacting to see if it is intelligent or not, perhaps conscious).

Questions get raised:

• could the android truly be conscious;
  • could the android mimic consciousness, so we can't tell the difference;
  • could the android fall in love;
  • could the android lie about falling in love;
  • who is the bad guy in the film;
  • who all in the film is actually an android.

AGAIN: SPOILER ALERT

The android and the coder do appear to fall in love. They plot an escape from the evil C.E.O.'s fortress, and it is successful. BUT, in the end, the android locks the coder in the fortress, and she leaves alone, uncaring about the coder, to enter the world.

I believe the point of the movie, is that it may look like a human, it may sound/act/respond like a human, even better than most of us, it may certainly be smarter than us, but---hey---it's not human. It's acting according to its own nature, pursuing its own goals.

I believe the point of the movie, is that it may look like a human, it may sound/act/respond like a human, even better than most of us, it may certainly be smarter than us, but---hey---it's not human. It's acting according to its own nature, pursuing its own goals.

In other words, it's a cat?

Data was fully functional.

Yes. He's a great, honest, cerebral guy who is artificial intelligence. Good example. Data based on Isaac Asimov's R Daneel Olivaw. I read all Foundation books years ago. Love him.

Yet Lore was evil.

Maybe we can make Datas sometime, or Rachels (Scott said Decksrd was also replicant),

So there are examples of manufactured beings who can be good.

Good point.

About 90% of the general populace and over 95% of all politicians cannot pass the Turing test.

Forty:

I think the problem is that most politicians CAN pass the Turing test, misleading us into believing that they are actually human, can actually think, and actually care about our well-being.

Now if we could just come up with a test for genuine human sincerity.

LL

7 of 9? http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_of_Nine

But does she have a cat?

Yea I think she does but it's a cyborg too! :D

This thread is to discuss the lesson of "Ex Machina," the tech/thriller movie that's in movie theatres, now,

SPOILER ALERT: If you don't want to hear plot details, then DO NOT READ FURTHER.

The plot is about a coder (programmer) of a company that is like unto Google, who is brought to the C.E.O.'s remote house/research facility where the coder is alone with the C.E.O. and his research projects on Artificial Intelligence. The coder, we're told at the beginning, is there for a Turing test (interacting to see if it is intelligent or not, perhaps conscious).

Questions get raised:

• could the android truly be conscious;
  • could the android mimic consciousness, so we can't tell the difference;
  • could the android fall in love;
  • could the android lie about falling in love;
  • who is the bad guy in the film;
  • who all in the film is actually an android.

AGAIN: SPOILER ALERT

The android and the coder do appear to fall in love. They plot an escape from the evil C.E.O.'s fortress, and it is successful. BUT, in the end, the android locks the coder in the fortress, and she leaves alone, uncaring about the coder, to enter the world.

Aunt Jen,

I too saw the movie. The point of the androids escape brings a big question to my mind. As you recall, the periodic power failures within the compound were caused by the android reversing the polarity of her charging plates, causing the temperary shut down. So once she left the compound, how does she recharge? Anyone smart enough to build an AI machine would surely have designed it to remain under some type of Human control, even if only by regulating it's power capacity.

I agree. She charges by induction. No connections required. Maybe certain features are required in that process that are proprietary, unique.

1. We could assume that any induction source would do

2. We could assume designer was so arrogant he thought she could never escape.

Obviously Tge film makers didn't worry about that technicality, as just making the point of her AI-ness. ??

But I would also BET she is smart and can go into radio shack and build what she needs, reprogram self....to accept new source of electricity.

Just going w it here

Forty:

I think the problem is that most politicians CAN pass the Turing test, misleading us into believing that they are actually human, can actually think, and actually care about our well-being.

Now if we could just come up with a test for genuine human sincerity.

Well now, you may be right, Loop. I gotta go cogitate on that first part a bit... and I hate cogitating on a Monday morning. Makes my head hurt.

Be very careful with the second part, though. Just suggesting that test could conceivably make you an enemy of the state.

Archived