SASS Wire Forum

powder question

evil dogooder

I'm looking to switch from trail boss to a cleaner burning powder. Right now I'm shooting a low level .45 load in my . 38's so i don't really want to up the charge even more. I have promo too but haven't found a load i like out of it yet

As it is i get about one hundred rounds and then my guns are so gummed up i have to tear them apart and clean them

The choices of kegs at the local toy store are green dot

Red dot

Clay dot

Unique

Thanks for any info

For the 38/357 it's Clays or Clay Dot, hands down. Clean burning and excellent performance.

RBK

Unique is not a powder that burns clean under low pressure loads, it's great for high end loads. If you down load it will be dirtier than the Trail Boss. Unique use to be the original black powder substitute, left your brass pretty nasty.

I'm sure some will disagree. Try a better crimp with the Promo or up the charge a little and see what happens.

Titegroup has been available around here for several months and I've seen it in 8 pound containers.

What do I know, I use Clays and still have 12 pounds in my powder magazine.

Clay Dot, if loading .38 spl. Red Dot if loading .45 Colt. Of the powders you said were available. Clay Dot will work in .45 Colt, but Red Dot is my preference there.

When you say "a low level .45 load in my .38's" you just confuse the snot out of some of us. A low level 45 Colt load would be a pretty hot 38 spl load (say, 200 grain slug at 800 FPS).

Good luck, GJ

Is clay dot equivalent to clays?

Load data for Clay Dot is the same as Clays, many SASS shooters have switched to Clay Dot using the same loads for rifle, pistol & shotgun as they were using for Clays. It's been chronographed it's so close you won't be able to feel the difference from Clays.

TB

Promo is red dot by WEIGHT not volume. a little tighter crimp will clean up the load and make it morea accurate to boot. It's a miserly powder that can get lots of loads per lb. might be worth revisiting.

When you say "a low level .45 load in my .38's" you just confuse the snot out of some of us. A low level 45 Colt load would be a pretty hot 38 spl load (say, 200 grain slug at 800 FPS).

Yep a pretty hot .38 load. I.don't have a Chrono but it's good enough to shoot targets out to 200 yrds so by no means a mouse fart load. Every time i asked more experienced loaders advise they just said up the load a few tenths.

Jeez, I hope you're wrong about your 38 load being a low level 45 one. Because just flipping open the Lyman manual and picking some start loads for light bullets for 45LC listed powder charges that are more powder than Lyman lists for the "Never Exceed" powder amount for 38+P charges for the same powders.

There are some pretty good reasons for not giving load advice on forums. Even when the advice does not contain a specific amount of powder in grains, it can point newbies in pretty dangerous directions.

The best "advice from experienced reloaders" comes from the manuals. It's backed by lab test results and is very specific.

BTW, when the case capacity is reduced by things like seating the bullet deeper (or using a 45 charge amount in a 38 case) the pressure created by that charge goes way up.

And a 200grain bullet in a 45 is a light bullet for the 45 but is a heavy one for a 38. Going to a heavier bullet raises the pressure even more.

Low Level 45 loads in a 38 case is a very poor way of describing the load you are seeking.

38 Spl loads using the heavier bullets, (158 to 160 grn.), are limited to around 800 FPS, and loads for these are listed in the powder manufacturers load books. Higher speeds than that will generate excessive pressure loads, so sticking within the recommended powder charges is essential.

Usually, these loads will have higher velocity when shot out of a rifle. Pistol loads of 800 FPS will usually run about 1100 FPS or more, out of a rifle, and are quite accurate a long ways out.

RBK

Load data for Clay Dot is the same as Clays, many SASS shooters have switched to Clay Dot using the same loads for rifle, pistol & shotgun as they were using for Clays. It's been chronographed it's so close you won't be able to feel the difference from Clays.

TB

Is it temperature sensitive like regular Clays?

When you say the local store has Unique could you specify the store? I have been trying to find some for a while and none of the places I have checked have any.

Its the local small town gunshop ill pm you there info

Red Dot/Promo would be good for 45's since it will take a little more powder than in 38's.

For the 38, Red Dot and Promo can be inconsistent with many powder measures - including all I have used. Had a good shooter shooting with us in the last couple weeks and I noticed a lot of bang, bang,poof loads. So I asked him if he was using Red Dot or Promo. (there are some others that will also do that, but with the current powder situation, I figured the shooter had been forced to go with Red Dot/Promo.)

Sure enough, he was using Red Dot in his 38's. With some powders, it is hard to get consistency with lighter 38 loads. I even had that trouble with Tight Group.

But Red Dot is a nice powder and if your set up gives you consistent loads, great!

I have no clue as to the load you are using but I have shot thousands of rounds of 38 special and Trail Boss with no issues. Before I started shooting FCD I only cleaned my guns every thousand rounds or so. Now I clean mine more often as I do a complete cleaning after shooting BP.

Have you evaluated what you are using for lube? Sounds like the issue may be that your chosen lube is attracting grime.

American Select first, then Red Dot. I have used AS for 10-12 years and do not have the dirty gun problem. Use it in the rifle, shotgun, and revolver. And the advice of the tight crimp is correct although your load seems ample to seal the brass.

Premium ultra-clean smokeless shotshell powder

Our newest "ultra clean" burning premium powder makes a versatile target load and superior 1-oz. load for improving clay target scores. Great for Cowboy Action handgun loading, too!

• Designed for 12 gauge target loads
  • Optimal recoil and patterns
  • Great pistol powder, too

http://www.alliantpowder.com/products/powder/american_select.aspx

Hang a fish aerator on your powder dispenser.

I'm with Red Cent.....American Select. Cleanest powder I've ever used. Ain't easy to find right now but it is available.

Contrary to some other opinions, Unique is the dirtiest powder i have ever used. In fact, I have an unopened pound I'd sell for $25 F 2 F in Florida.....just cause I don't like it.

I use Trail Boss for both my wife's 38 and my 45C. Never had any problem. I have thought of trying other powders just to see how they differ, but I have at least a 3 year supply of TB.

S. Fkoyd

I use Trail Boss for both my wife's 38 and my 45C. Never had any problem. I have thought of trying other powders just to see how they differ, but I have at least a 3 year supply of TB.

S. Fkoyd

That's why I've taken this long to switch. I lucked into ninety pounds of trail boss. Most i gave away when people were really hurting for powder. I still have two kegs left.

Is it temperature sensitive like regular Clays?

No, it is NOT temp senstive. I moved from Clays to Clay Dot because cold weather (close to freezing) was causing light Clays loads in 38 spl to go inconsistent, even squibby. Clay Dot did not.

Good luck, GJ

I have good luck with 700x in my cowboy .38 loads. Close to Clay Dot in burn rate.

Archived