SASS Wire Forum

Eric Sheppard Challenge

Big Sarge

Are ya'll seeing the social media "Eric Sheppard Challenge"? That's where folks are videoed dancing/stomping on a US flag. Videos are posted to Youtube in the same fashion as the Ice Bucket Challenge for ALS. I'm really confused by this because it seems to be centralized in Georgia where there are several military bases and usually strong support for the military

“The Eric Sheppard challenge” has been adopted by online activists to honor Valdosta State student Eric Sheppard after he allegedly brought a gun to local protests. One of the protests gained national attention when Air Force veteran Michelle Manhart was detained for grabbing one of the American flags.

Mr. Sheppard disappeared last week when a gun was found in his unattended backpack on campus. He self-identifies as a terrorist against white people, The Washingtonicon1.png Post reported.
Michelle Manhart is the the veteran detained for trying to rescue a flag. She gained fame after she resigned from the Air Force after posing in Playboy. Stars and Stripes reports she is a military supporter and even posed for a calender in 2008 to raise funds for veterans. Anyway, the police wrestled her to the ground, handcuffed her, and placed her in a patrol car. The flag was returned to the protestors.
I'm curious about the civil rights of the protestors vs the rights of Manhart and the flag code. Can someone explain it to me? The colle frats were discplined for disrespecting the flag and veterans in the Panama City Beach incident. Since this was on a college campus, aren't the same basic rules inherent?? I'm posting a raw video of the detention of Manhart. Please, please stay within the rules of decorum so the moderators aren't forced to take this down. Big apologies to Allie Mo if I am crossing the line

Makes my blood boil.

Addressing it as impartially as I can:

There is no penalty for violation of the Flag Code.

The right to protest under the 1st Amendment is protected.

There are penalties for taking another person's property.

This. As a friend of mine was told by his attorney during his divorce hearing, "It doesn't have to make sense. It's the law."

I'm really confused by this because it seems to be centralized in Georgia where there are several military bases and usually strong support for the military

That's probably why. "Rebels without a clue" are just attention hounds looking for a reason to protest, and something they see every day is an easy target.

True. I was thinking more in the order of the honor code violations being used by universities. Zeta Beta Tau was recently sanctioned for actions against the US flag and disrespecting veterans. Sigma Alpha Epsilon members were expelled for singing a racist song. Both groups seem to enjoy protection from the 1st Ammendment, but swift action was taken in both cases. Possibly this is a case of selective enforcement?? I don't know, simply trying to understand the difference.

It brightens my heart to see there was a rally of over 1,000 students and locals in Valdosta supporting Manhart and the US flag.

True. I was thinking more in the order of the honor code violations being used by universities. Zeta Beta Tau was recently sanctioned for actions against the US flag and disrespecting veterans. Sigma Alpha Epsilon members were expelled for singing a racist song. Both groups seem to enjoy protection from the 1st Ammendment, but swift action was taken in both cases. Possibly this is a case of selective enforcement?? I don't know, simply trying to understand the difference.

The first word of the First Amendment is "Congress." It's a restriction on Congress (and government in general) to prevent laws that curtail the freedom of speech. It doesn't prevent universities, employers, and online services from making their own rules about what is and isn't acceptable speech within their establishments.

Students at a university agree to abide by the school's rules and code of conduct as a condition of their acceptance at the school. If they don't like the rules they're free to go elsewhere. It's no different than using the Wire here. If you want to say something that goes against the rules you can - just not here.

Basically, the government can't take certain rights away from you, but you can agree to temporarily surrender some rights in exchange for something of value as part of a contract.

What Sparky said.

Like when people on the wire scream "Censorship" when their post gets deleted. No foul. SASS ain't the government.

And for instance, if you're a police officer under investigation by the department for a violation of policy, and they interrogate you, you have no right to remain silent. Because the charges are not criminal. You can be fired for not answering the questions in an administrative interrogation. But you can't be prosecuted.

And for instance, if you're a police officer under investigation by the department for a violation of policy, and they interrogate you, you have no right to remain silent. Because the charges are not criminal. You can be fired for not answering the questions in an administrative interrogation. But you can't be prosecuted.

I hadn't thought about that twist but it makes sense.

That sort of thing also applies to having a pistol permit in New York. State law only gives very broad guidelines stating that there must be a means of granting permits to residents, but the details are left to the individual counties. Since the county rules aren't really laws, your being granted a permit or having it taken away is at the whim of the county licensing officer and due process don't enter into it. The State can claim their laws meet the obligations of the 2nd Amendment, and anyone who challenges a county refusing them a permit has to do it in civil court where the 2nd Amendment doesn't apply. (At least that's how courts in NY spin it.)

+1

And now let's be off to the bar. I'm buyin.

for 10 minutes. ;)

Bourbon was gone anyway. Dang drunks.

Archived