SASS Wire Forum

Where are you getting your percussion caps?

Black Angus McPherson

I've been trying to shoot my cap and ball guns more at matches and now I'm having a problem finding percussion caps, especially Remingtons, to keep the guns going.

So, where are you guys getting your caps? I found some at a gun store a while back, but they weren't Remingtons and they wanted $10+ per hundred. Graf's and a couple other places list CCI's for about $5 per 100 but they're "out of stock/no back orders". Or are you surviving on a stockpile of caps you bought years ago. (Sure wish I'd bought a few thousand when everybody had them)

I've got enough caps on hand to get me thru about 2, maybe 3, matches.

Thanks,

Angus

And I just bought a pair of pistols that would have come with a full tin of Rem. #10's if I was willing to pay the $20 hazmat fee. :-)

Here in the Northeast(NJ-PA) Remington caps are starting to show up again at some retailers. Cabelas has had them for months. One retailer(won't menion name) had Remingtons for $7.99 yesterday while a year ago, at the height of the shortage, the same caps were going for $9.99. Since they dropped the price, does that mean the availability is becoming better?

I buy them by the 1000 lot, usually 2 or 3K at a time. My source has them in stock. And I am not sharing the name so don't even ask, you will get no reply. And yes I am selfish, I want to be able to buy them when I need them. Y'all might dry up my source quick.

I've visited our local Bass Pro Shop and Cabelas, and the shelves were empty, unlike 2 months ago. Wanting to shoot mine too...

Like Lefty, I buy cases at a time, usually a box of 5000.

I find them at the on-line stores.

When they have them in stock, I'll buy 5 or 10 K.

I shoot cap guns every week, so they get used faster than you think.

Cabelas stores have had them in stock recently.

--Dawg

My wholesaler (Jerry's) has 69 cases of Rem 10 in stock. I buy them by the case of 5000 so I have plenty to shoot and some to sell. Supply is getting better. I just figured out that my Colt 1861s like Rem 11 better, and they are not in stock. Of course.

My wholesaler (Jerry's) has 69 cases of Rem 10 in stock. I buy them by the case of 5000 so I have plenty to shoot and some to sell. Supply is getting better. I just figured out that my Colt 1861s like Rem 11 better, and they are not in stock. Of course.

Powder Valley shows Rem #11 in stock for $4.95

Sportsman's warehouse (there isn't one local to me) is out of Rem #10's and I can't find caps listed on the Powder Valley Inc. website. And where the heck is "Jerry's" and do you have to be a dealer to order from them?

If you have a link to Powder Valley Percussion caps or "Jerry's" I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Angus

Edit: DOH! PV has the caps listed with primers and not muzzle loading. And they're out of #10's but have Rem. #11's

Remington #11 are the same as Remington #10, just not as deep.

Have you read this?

http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php?topic=9093.0

--Dawg

Edit: DOH! PV has the caps listed with primers and not muzzle loading. And they're out of #10's but have Rem. #11's

http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/

Select "Primers"

Select " Remington"

caps are first two entries

never mind - you found them

And where the heck is "Jerry's" and do you have to be a dealer to order from them?

Thanks,

Angus

Jerry's Sports Ctr. is a wholesaler, so you do have to be a dealer. My intended point was that your favorite dealer can get you Rem 10 caps from there and they have plenty right now.

Dawg, I've heard Rem. #11's are "the same" as Rem. #10's, but in my experience it just doesn't hold true. I've tried both and the #11's are too loose and fall off the (my) guns that work great with the #10's. Actually, the Rem. #11's worked poorly on all 5 of my revolvers. I did some experimenting with several brands and sizes of caps when I started getting semi-serious about shooting C&B pistols. I still have ~100 Rem. #11's, but I only use them on my single shots. I kind of envy the guys that can use the Rem #11's as they always seem a lot easier to find.

Doc, thanks for the info on Jerry's Sports ctr. I'll pass that on to one of my local dealers with whom I've discussed trying to find remington caps.

Angus

Getting? I figure the 4,000 I've got are enough! :wub: My price point was $25 a thousand...stopped buy a while ago...

Archived