SASS Wire Forum

The best lubricant for your guns - - and why you think so ?

I have tested a few lubes that simply did not measure up.

Another gunsmith introduced me to STOS many years ago and that has become our "shop lube". It is not sticky (don't like sticky lubes on parts that I want to move freely), It is a synthetic, does not dry out like some (e.g. tetetra), stays in place remarkably well, comes in a syringe or jar, is very "slippery" and just a light smear is all you need.

STOS is sometimes hard to find -- have to get it on-line and a few gunsmiths sell it.

As often as we clean our competition guns, any light lube will probably work well -- we happen like STOS :)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple years back, during the hot summer months in my garage, I took some STRIKE HOLD and put a couple drops in steel saucer.

I also put a couple drops of other 'popular' gun lubes in that steel saucer at the same time.

In a couple days, 1 of the other lubes was getting a 'jelly' texture. Another was getting close to 'jellying'.

One of them had evaporated.

The STRIKE HOLD still maintained its original texture and didn't evaporate.

Since then, I am now ALSO using some products by LUCAS OIL. Seems to be some real good stuff.

I also like Eezox, especially in storing my guns in the safe. It seems to give a VERY GOOD protective coating that isn't sticky and seemingly dry. A great product.

For me, I won't hesitate to use Strike Hold or some of the new LUCAS OIL gun care products.

P.S. -take you favorite lube(s) and put a drop or 2 in a steel saucer in your garage for a couple days. Then see how it appears at the end of a couple hot summer days. You'll quickly learn just how effective and long lasting your favorite is..... or isn't.

..........Widder

I haven't done any cool rust tests with metal plates, nor left any guns outside to rust. I do shoot Blackpowder matches 2-3 times a month, but I tend to be short of time(read lazy). For more times than I like to admit, I have shot a match, put the guns away, shot another match, put the guns away, and 2 weeks later shot another match. No wipe down, no bore snake, nothing. By then the guns are starting to stick a bit, so I clean them. I clean with water and a bit of Murphy's Oil soap, and lube with Breakfree, with a bit of red lithium grease on high wear spots like links and front and rear of cylinders. Never had anything rust nor stop running. Now, it isn't all that humid here in the S.F bay area, not like you guys back east, but those are my actual in use results. I have been trying Frog Lube on my daughter's BP guns, and it seems to work OK, but it just seems a bit too thin to me. Maybe it is just different and I am being prejudiced, time will tell.

I always enjoy these posts as they never develop any definite conclusions; just lots of good opinions. There appears to be many good solutions. Anyhow, I use Break Free CLP, Mobile 1, and Weapons Shield. It depends upon my mood and whatever I'm oiling. They all seem to work fine for me. I cannot speak about rusting protection as I clean guns after they get wet and store them indoors.

Just read the October 2015 FBI RFP which Glock recently won. The FBI requires the use of Shooters Choice MC#7 Solvent and G96 Synthetic Gun oil. These folks should have a good idea of what works for their agents.

Archived