SASS Wire Forum

The best lubricant for your guns - - and why you think so ?

Been satisfied with Kroil, may try some of that clenzoil if I get my hands on some.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started using Froglube on my all my guns a few months ago. I use it on my duty 1911 which is out in the rain, sun, cold, heat everyday and so far I really like it. My cowboy guns sure seem like they clean up easier since I started using it too.

Not sure if this was posted here before, although I've seen it a few times so its possible. Anyway its pretty well done and interesting.

http://www.shootersforum.com/gun-cleaning/91566-results-gun-care-product-evaluation.html

Lucas Oil Products for more than one reason.Their products work great as lubrication is not a sideline to them like a lot of companies. Also, the owner and founder is a big supporter of the firearms industry as well as hunting through the Protect the Harvest organization.

Slickest I have used, and it keeps on ticking for a lasting time.

From the test results I will be using Frog Lube more & more.

I do know that after six stages or 30 rounds/six loadings and firing my C&B Revolver spin just as friction free as they are un-fired. And the Arbor cleans with the wipe of a cloth when the cylinder is removed.

For Frog Lube to work best all petroleum based products should be removed from the surface being lubed.

Eezox and here's one reason ... http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php?topic=5457

The other 2 are: it cleans hard smokeless & BP foul and the lubrication is excellent drying to a thin film that doesn't collect dirt

I've used Clenzoil. It is a good product but doesn't stack up to Eezox

PS: I'm on quart number 5 now of Eezox

+1 Eezox is great for your reloading presses . Leaves no wet residue . PREVENTS Rust !

Not sure if this was posted here before, although I've seen it a few times so its possible. Anyway its pretty well done and interesting.

http://www.shootersforum.com/gun-cleaning/91566-results-gun-care-product-evaluation.html

Everyone gets their own opinion, but not their own facts. Thanks for the link, very impressive testing and underscores how effective synthetic oil technology is. Plus, it is hard to beat the cost savings of WD-special, Mobil 1 oil & lube and Frog Lube CLP.

I don't leave my guns outside near a body of salt water for months at a time and pretty much use whatever decent gun oil is handy for smokeless. I use Hoppe's for smokeless cleaning and hot soapy water for bp.

I use Ballistol for my black powder guns. I use grease for such things as the cams in my toggle links, again, it's not so much what you use as the fact that you use something.

In 20 plus years in this sport, I've put untold thousands of rounds through many of my guns and never worn one out. I did recently replace the carrier on a '73 I've been shooting for nearly 20 years but I run the carrier dry unless I'm getting fouling. Firearms have been around for a lot longer than these modern super lubes. You should be fine using about any decent product if you reasonably maintain your guns.

Would you change it every 3,000 miles? ;)

Or every 3,000 rounds, whichever comes first!

Actually since it is a synthetic you could probably get 30,000 rounds out of one Mobil 1 lube job.

• 1 year later...

Kroil, "the oil that creeps." I buy it by the gallon from Brownells.

I sure hope you're careful with it. It's great at what it does but is very toxic in every way. After reading the MSDS sheet on it, I am concerned about even having it around.

I use Amsoil mp on my guns both smokeless and bp. I spray them down liberly when I put them away. For smokeless that's it unless it needs some attention for bp the guns come out of the socks cleaner than they went in.on a couple of occasions I had to wait several weeks to clean them for whatever reason. I just sprayed the guns again to soften the crud and it was like I just shot them. Amsoil mp bonds with the metal and creates a barrier between the metal and anything. On my engraved pistols I tried using the crayons to fill the engraving but nothing would stick so I gave up. I haven't sprayed my guns I shot at EOT this year since last EOT IIRC I used them at WR and EOT this year and they're ready to go.

Came across this as part of a discussion on why a couple of gear boxes at work have to use certain lubricants ($50 a quart) and why failing to do so will cause damage to the internals of the gearboxes.

An explanation of the various Mil-Spec aircraft engine and gearbox oils.

AEROSHELL TURBINE ENGINE OILS

The paper discusses the issues of compatibility between mineral, vegetable and synthetic ester lubricants.

Especially interesting is the potential compatibility issues between Synthetic Ester based oils and different plastics, metals and other finishes.

I use CRC QD (Quick-Dry) Electronics cleaner to blast the dirt off pistols, rifle, shotgun. Walmart - $4.99/can.

And, as Capt Bill Burt said above, the wizard who built our rifles only honors the lifetime warranty if we use CLP. My guy also told me that CLP & many lubricants will cancel out with Frog Lube if you use both for stuff, I do dab some Extreme Weapons Lubricant on certain obvious areas - hammer, lever to carrier lifter arm, sear, etc.

The CLP does a nice job cleaning up the barrels also.

I was told that Ballistol attracts dirt, so I don't use it on my guns. However, I did read the literature & saw all of the applications it can be used for. We had water damage at our home & an antique piece of furniture was ruined. We tried everything in the way of furniture polish, etc. - No luck. We put Ballistol on it, & it almost completely restored it. If you try it on furniture, you will not believe what it does!

I have not seen QMaxx mentioned on this thread. This product is SASS backed (a money point, I"m sure), but just wondering if many have tried it. The gentleman at EOT at QMaxx tent demonstrated product to me by cleaning a couple of my guns after i finished my last stage of match. I was somewhat impressed but he had drill attachment for shotgun which certainly beats our normal rod technique. He used rod on my rifle (black powder) and I felt my method of few patchs sprayed with Windex (WITH Vinegar) followed by Ballistol, ProTec, or whatever handy as lub/protectant was just as good if not faster/better than his job. I bought a bottle and will continue to give it a test.

TA recommended AMSOIL MP (metal cleaner) to me one year while cleaning guns at RV camp. He gave me a can and I like it for cleaning, moisture displacing, and penetrating but not sure of its qualities as lubricant. Heck, I still like 3n1 oil and Dow 33 grease, however I admit that Ballistol is still my main "go to" multi-purpose spray .

Been using Militech for some time with great results!

Bugler

I love G96 "complete gun treatment". Anyone else use this stuff? Been using it ever since my dad taught me how to quail hunt. Follow it up with Remoil.

Been using G96 to clean/lube guns for 25 years. (I've had a can of Remoil sitting around for 25 years.)

The only other thing I use to clean guns is a Lead-Away cloth.

Tried 'em all. Lately I have become a big fan of SEAL lube. Heidi at Long Hunter's shop recommended it to me so I tried it. Slicker than snot on a glass door knob.

Anybody ever try Sweetshooter? I bought the whole package but never got around to going thru the process required...

I've tried so many very good lubes, but they keep making new ones that are slightly better.

Including Breakfree CLP, Militec, Ballistol, Remoil, Tetra, Dura Lube, Superlube, Tri-lube, Max-gear, numerous home0-made formulas, various "gun oils."

I tried Sweetshooter many years ago and liked it, especially for cleaning and rust prevention.

Kroil is a great cleaner, but slightly dangerous and not a great lube.

EEzox is another great cleaner that worked well for rust prevention but I was not as impressed with it as a lube.

Mobil 1 lube works well for me when lube is needed. (Oil is not a good stand-alone lubricant compared to true "lubes.")

I've followed tests such as has been linked here and they demonstrate good practices for testing lubes. That has been most helpful.

Plus I watch the testing that the bicyclists do as they require high quality lube in a tough environment. I think they are much more subject to wear from lack of great lubrication than almost any gun, except full auto.

Frog lube has been very impressive but I've been concerned with how sticky it can be and others have had trouble with semi-autos sticking if not applied just right and shot a few days later. But it's rust prevention is outstanding and I continue to use it for that.

So I have been using Seal 1 that the inventor of Frog Lube developed. I think it equals or exceeds Frog Lube and nearly all the others.

But there are many that can be used as this thread shows.

I have used most everything, Currently using 3-in-one, and I use it in all my guns.

Been using Brian Enos Slide Glide for quite some time in my 97's and Marlin 94, Uberti 73's works great.

For spray been using Ballistrol also works ok. Going to try Coyote Cap's mention also.

Everything is a hit/miss no matter what you use. Who knows, everybody is different.

Well.. like Marauder said... there are LOTS of oils/lubes out there, and most of them will work just fine on our match guns. I like a little dab of Silicone grease in the toggle channel of my 73s, on my cylinder pin, and on the back of the cylinder. Tri-Flow does a good job of creeping into the action on the revolvers. I use a little Marvel Mystery Oil on a cloth to wipe things down. IMO, most folks overdo it when it comes to oiling the guns that they use often. A generous application on guns in storage at the back of the safe might be a good idea, or on the guns that you leave out in the Swamp or in the Salt air................... duh...... but not on your match guns. You ought to be taking regular care of them. I have used petroleum products on my BP guns since the early 1960s. This idea that it shouldn't be used is just BS. IMO, the worst thing out there is Ballistol... I've seen many guns rusted after their owners bought into all the Hog Wash that's out there about Ballistol. They would use it to make "Moose Milk", and promptly rusted the hell out of their guns. Duh... you want something that rejects the moisture, not something that absorbs/mixes with it. Heck a light application of WD-40 would be a much better choice after cleaning than that stuff... WD-40 at least displaces the moisture left behind so will the Marvel Mystery oil.

I don't leave my guns outside near a body of salt water for months at a time and pretty much use whatever decent gun oil is handy for smokeless. I use Hoppe's for smokeless cleaning and hot soapy water for bp.

I use Ballistol for my black powder guns. I use grease for such things as the cams in my toggle links, again, it's not so much what you use as the fact that you use something.

In 20 plus years in this sport, I've put untold thousands of rounds through many of my guns and never worn one out. I did recently replace the carrier on a '73 I've been shooting for nearly 20 years but I run the carrier dry unless I'm getting fouling. Firearms have been around for a lot longer than these modern super lubes. You should be fine using about any decent product if you reasonably maintain your guns.

This....Buffy said it all

Archived