SASS Wire Forum

18/04/42 Jimmy Dolittle Raid on Japan

Yep. I visited the Lexington Green and Concord Bridge. Thing look a lot different now than then.

But I had a feel of history during my visit. Same with Gettysburg.

I'll have to take your word for it. That was before my time.

As the poet said "Twas the 18th of April in 75, hardly a man is now alive that remembers that famous day and year"

Quite possibly the reason the other two riders have all but been forgotten by history.

Yeah it ain't what you do it's what your press agent can get historians to think you did.

Sums it up pretty well!

I'll have to take your word for it. That was before my time.

Gettysburg make the hair on my neck stand up. Awesome place. Most impressive is the willingness of the soldiers to follow orders leading them to sure death and destruction.

Many folks may not realize that Doolittle's raid was the start of offensive military campaign against Japan which did not end until Japan's surrender. The U.S. never went back on the defense after Doolittle's mission although things did get mighty dicey at times.

The American Civil War still amazes me. I have yet to understand the courage of men who knew the day before they would be going into battle lined up like tin soldiers to be shot at with well entrenched opponents with artillery and rifles and would suffer huge number of their friends killed or maimed.

The attack of Fort Wagner by the 54th Massachusetts is a amazing example of courage and sense of duty.

“The general called out the bearer of the national colors, and grasped the flag. ‘If this man should fall, who will lift the flag and carry it on?’ After the briefest of pauses, Shaw stepped forward, and taking a cigar from between his teeth responded, ‘I will.’ The colonel’s pledge elicited what Adjutant Garth Wilkinson James later described as ‘the deafening cheers of this mighty host of men, about to plunge themselves into the fiery vortex of hell:’

Daylight revealed the full extent of the Federal disaster. ‘In front of the fort the scene of carnage is indescribable,’ Taliaferro wrote. ‘I have never seen so many dead in the same space.’ At a cost of 36 killed and 145 wounded and missing, Taliaferro garrison had inflicted more than 1,500 casualties on their assailants. Of the 624 brave soldiers of the 54th Massachusetts had sustained the heaviest loss–281 men, of whom 54 were killed or fatally wounded, and another 48 never accounted for (45% casualties). But the other regiments had paid almost as great a price. The 7th New Hampshire alone counted 77 killed or mortally wounded, 11 of whom were officers.”

Archived