SASS Wire Forum

question for small engine mechanics, gravely 812

It will start and run just fine until it warms up, then it staves for fuel but will run shortly on full choke. let it sit for a while and it starts right up again. If I blow in the tank when it starts starving it will run again for a while, sometimes just once other a few times.

Replaced the filter, fuel line to engine, cleaned the tank and screen.

any ideas? besides blowing in the tank more often...

Sounds more like an ignition issue than fuel, judging by the cool down factor. Typical coil problem in humble experience. However, mine have run for a while b4 quitting.

but it will run on eether when hot, and restarts or keeps running when I blow into the tank with force without cooling...

Carburetor. :mellow:

Rebuild should be pretty simple. Might want to do the magnetos at the same time.

Is the gas tank vented? Maybe the vent line is clogged.

+1

I'd start here. It's the easiest. You could also run some Sea Foam through it and see if it clears any fouling.

I'll pick up some tomorrow after I shoot tomorrow and drop the bowl and check it..

as I think about it, when I blew into the tank, I cud hear air hissing from somewhere....

check to see if it has a fuel pump being an older kohler it probably has a mechanical fuel pump it can be rebuilt easy to see if that is the problem rig another fuel can above carb for gravity feed also you can take fuel line loose from carb to see if pump is workin you will need a longer fuel line to pump fuel back into container

I believe it has a 12HP kohler on it

I'm voting for partially clogged jet also, had that very thing happen to me a few years ago and that is what it was. Took the carb apart an flushed it all out, worked great.

Run it with the fuel cap off and see if it dies. If it does not die, you either need to clean the vent line (if it has one) or needs a new vented fuel cap. If it dies, I'd be suspicious of the carb float. Every symptom you've described is fuel starvation. Assuming you've put in a fuel filter in the correct direction, and large enough diameter fuel line, there isn't much more to look at other than the tank vent, fuel pump, and carb.

Had a case like this with a VW, similar symptoms. Turns out that the previous owner put a second fuel filter in and unusual spot. I found it when I was preparing to replace the fuel line after replacing the fuel pump, and the other filter.

Archived