SASS Wire Forum

Win 97 Slam Fire Technique

Major Forsyth

Pards,

Looking for some technique advice from those of you who successfully slam fire a Win 97. Every time I slam fire the shot lands low and to the left of the target which means that I am pulling the barrel that direction. What technique do you folks use to keep the barrel on target?

Thanks in advance.

Maj. Forsyth

Major,

I hate to say it this way....... but unless you have a bent barrel, it sounds like you might be alittle timid in shooting your SG.

When you slam fire that baby, do it with an ATTITUDE. Pretend those targets are rattle snakes crawling towards your daughter and you have one shot to make a decisive hit.

Put the stock up to your cheek. YOU OWN that SG. You are the BOSS of that SG. Don't let it intimidate you. Be aggressive and decisive with it.

Without watching you shoot, this is just my opinion based on the symptoms you mentioned.

..........Widder

My grandfather slam-fired his once, but he missed my grandmother by several inches, so his technique probably want worth learning. To be fair to his skills, she was in the next room with a wall between them, at the time.

You are pushing the shotgun, not pulling. With all your might, push towards the target. Later on, relax.

I only shoot a 97 once in awhile anymore, but once the round goes through the port, I'd steer it upon closing the action. For me, I had to pick a spot on the sg target to slam-steer at. That would usually take it down if looking at the center of the sg target. Normally run an skb 100 now. Slightly more accurate with it. Another thing is I had a certain distance I could slamfire a target. Depending on the size and distance of it. It'll be different with everyone. It's a learned thing....anyway the double works better for me at most shoots. Some folks are great with the 97, and should stay with it.

Pull the trigger. Throw that left hand straight forward right at the target. And don't let go of the corn cob. It will fire when ready.

Practice. Practice and practice. Now excuse me while I go wash out my mouth. :lol:

Good luck, GJ

Low left is normal when slam firing a 97, im assuming youre right handed. I slammed fired for years and it is faster, but you will miss way more often. I found out that i am only losing maybe 2 tenths of a second at the most when pulling the trigger on a 4-6 shotgun run. I got away from slam firing and back to pulling the trigger and i dont have nearly as many makeups. So my advice, dont slam fire. It is a lot of trial and error.

Major,

Widder put it perfectly, do it with attitude and be aggressive.

Anybody who stresses the point, "stock on cheek" knows how to shoot a 97.

Once my hand touches the gun, shells are pulled, gun and shells comin' up simultaneously, when gun touches my cheek, it's all over then, don't hesitate to see if they are down.....what am I sayin'....do what Widder tells ya and do it over and over and over again!

Red Knee

Archived