SASS Wire Forum

Loading BP on a Lee Load All

Mad Dog McGee

Fellow Soot Lords, Like to know what bushing for the Lee Load All can be used to load 1 oz. shells using Goex 2f.

I remembering reading somewhere about modifying one of the bushings in order to get the right volume.

I've been using it to de-prime, priming, hand dipping , placing the wad,dropping the shot and then roll- crimping.

Works great but if I dropped the powder charge too it would save time.

OR IS THERE A FASTER WAY TO LOAD BP WITH A PROGRESSIVE PRESS?

AND NO I'M NOT GOING BACK TO THE HEATHEN SMOKELESS ! ! !

Thanks in advance MDM SMOKE AND FLAMES ALL THE WAY !!!!!!!!!

I've been using it to de-prime, priming, hand dipping , placing the wad,dropping the shot and then roll- crimping.

Works great

That's pretty much what I do with mine. I use the hopper for smokeless for my wife's shotshells, but I hand dip my Goex. Would love to hear what folks say about using it for real BP. Oh by the way, I use 7/8 ounce loads and never had trouble knocking down those pesky knock downs. YMMV

BD

Cannot help with the BP on a Lee Load All but 3/4 to 7/8 oz loads are more than sufficient for all the CAS KDs I have come across. If you are having trouble knocking down shotgun targets You need to pattern your SG.

You will need to drill/bore/hone out a powder bushing to get more volume dropped when using BP than you did with smokeless. Yes, it can be done easily on the Lee press.

I don't have a Lee, perhaps someone else knows the right diameter to drop a reasonable amount of BP for your wad. In general, cowboy BP shotshell loads will work with somewhere about 45-50 grains of Black and 7/8 or 1 ounce shot, selecting the right wad to let that all get to the right column height so your crimp closes. BP shotshells are rarely loaded to an exact powder weight, but more to what will fit with the wads you want to use.

I usually start with a large drill bit in my drill press (perhaps 9/16), try throwing powder weight, and either drill or rat tail file and hone with rough sandpaper until I start getting close to powder weight, then finish by polishing with 400 and 600 grit metal cutting sandpaper.

Good luck, GJ

I have used the same powder bushing (.155) to load BP on my Lee Load-all, that I used for smokeless. Using the same hull and wad, It drops the same "volume" of BP maintaining the same shot height column, providing an excellent crimp. I end up with 35-40 grains (volume) of Goex 3F under 1 oz of shot.

I drilled out the bushing a little bit at a time until it was "just right." It does go faster than hand dipping by quite a bit. Worth the fiddle time once you get it set up. I've been using that bushing for years now.

The Lee Loadall does a poor job of sealing any unused powder from moisture. I spoon all my smokeless and smokey loads. Never had a squib. My powder waste is very small. My loads are the best quality thing about my cowboy shooting, much better than my times, scores or shooting.

I have used the same powder bushing (.155) to load BP on my Lee Load-all, that I used for smokeless. Using the same hull and wad, It drops the same "volume" of BP maintaining the same shot height column, providing an excellent crimp. I end up with 35-40 grains (volume) of Goex 3F under 1 oz of shot.

Spot on. Although I no longer use a Lee Load-All (gave it to my son), I simply swapped out the powder in my favorite Clays skeet load and it knocks them down all day and is pleasant to shoot.

The Lee Loadall does a poor job of sealing any unused powder from moisture. I spoon all my smokeless and smokey loads. Never had a squib. My powder waste is very small. My loads are the best quality thing about my cowboy shooting, much better than my times, scores or shooting.

Tom, you do know that you're not supposed to leave the powder in ANY press when done reloading, right? I mounted my Load-All to a one-foot squared piece of oak and when I reload, I clamp the board to my table. When I'm finished, I unclamp the board and then it's easy to pour the powder back into it's container. Another little board glued to an even smaller one makes a nice plug to keep the shot from pouring out as I remove the powder.

Spot on. Although I no longer use a Lee Load-All (gave it to my son), I simply swapped out the powder in my favorite Clays skeet load and it knocks them down all day and is pleasant to shoot.

Tom, you do know that you're not supposed to leave the powder in ANY press when done reloading, right? I mounted my Load-All to a one-foot squared piece of oak and when I reload, I clamp the board to my table. When I'm finished, I unclamp the board and then it's easy to pour the powder back into it's container. Another little board glued to an even smaller one makes a nice plug to keep the shot from pouring out as I remove the powder.

I actually did what this guy suggests in this video to more easily empty the powder and shot from my Lee Load-All.....

I actually did what this guy suggests in this video to more easily empty the powder and shot from my Lee Load-All.....

Now THAT's a right smart idea! I knew you could take the top off, but it never occurred to me to drill that hole in the lid.

I wonder how well the plastic bases hold up - mine is an older one with the zinc (I think) base.

Archived