SASS Wire Forum

Fishing Disease strikes Fisherman

I really like the Lew's Speed Spool. Almost backlash proof when dialed in correctly, smooth operation and excellent drag, very smooth without hesitating. I'm impressed with it. However, I should be impressed I got their tournament reel on a closeout for less than half the retail and it was still the most expensive reel I've ever bought. Landed a four pound largemouth out of my pond (that's Mama Bass i put her in there last year) with no problems. I'm a happy camper. Just finished installing a fish finder in my boat. 67 years old and this is my first fish finder. I have a lot of high expectations for it. I hope this menas I can find and fish some deep water structure that I've never known about before.

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lottsa strange stuff down below. I swear them fish move things around to suit themselves.

Kinda like the lady of the manor making things the way SHE wants them. :lol:

The reason I asked is that I have two Shamano bait casting reels. Not the best in the world

but ok. I also have a Swedish C4 reel from Abu Garcia. I am not a very good caster with either

of them. I guess I will stick with the fly rods or the spinning rods. That line twist thingy is a pain

with the spinning rigs.

Well, we got sunshine, we got rain, we got hail, we got thunderboomer.

What we ain't got is lawn chair time at the lake.

To each his own, I don't have the technique for the fly rod, I always refer to fly fishing as whipping the water into a froth as that is all I get, frothy water. As I mention I have and use spinning reels but don't like them much. I was out for six hours last friday and had to strip about 15-20 yards of line off the ultralite because it tangled so bad. So, I use the bait casting reel for everything but really small lures that it won't throw and live bait fishing. For those I rely on the spinning reel.

Bugs

I use baitcasters down to 1/8 oz , with 8 lb line

ABU 2600 s

fly casting ain't hard , quarter into the cast and watch the line , after a few casts it inprints as to how that rod line and fly combo feels

I have tuaght several folks to use a fly rod , this is the best way I have found to do it

CB

Salt in the wound hurts, Bugs. :lol:

But don't discount the warm sun on my balding pate and the fun of

watching the water and all the live that goes on at the lake. I ain't complaining.

Some nice folks fish at that hole. :)

I used to announce the meal times and when we had fish sammiches I would tell them they were having Sushi, man you could hear them scream at me through the sound proof walls. In my experience Prisoners have no sense of humor. They always thought I was disrespecting them.Mt Sergeant would tell me I was to easy on them and that I needed to do more write ups and in the next breath tell me to stop pissing them off. I lasted about a year at the jail and was fired for sending a prisoner to the Nurse when the kitchen door wasn't locked. Unfortunately, I had no control over the kitchen door it was someone elses job to lock it after I announced a prisoner movement. Didn't matter to the Sheriff, he had to back his supervisors.

Bluegill pre-spawn here in this part of Kentucky. Been having so much fun pulling them up with the fly rod that I haven't had time to post on the wire. Averaging 25-30 an evening.

A hand sized bluegill on a 4wt fly rod is a handful. I've also caught several nice 1-2pound bass and lost a big catfish (24-30" range) all on the fly rod over the past 2 weeks. I live for this time of year! When the fishing is this hot, I would rather fish than eat (and have skipped supper a couple times lately to go fishing)

I'm too derned lazy to clean fish so I put them all back. Nothing against keeping fish, I'm just lazy.

Bluegill pre-spawn here in this part of Kentucky. Been having so much fun pulling them up with the fly rod that I haven't had time to post on the wire. Averaging 25-30 an evening.

A hand sized bluegill on a 4wt fly rod is a handful. I've also caught several nice 1-2pound bass and lost a big catfish (24-30" range) all on the fly rod over the past 2 weeks. I live for this time of year! When the fishing is this hot, I would rather fish than eat (and have skipped supper a couple times lately to go fishing)

I'm too derned lazy to clean fish so I put them all back. Nothing against keeping fish, I'm just lazy.

I confess, I am lazy too. I am not fond of trout on the table tho. Now a good deep fried perch or blue gill, yummm.

Are you catching all those fish on a floating line or sinker?

Badger most have been on a size 12 black bead head wooly bugger. The few that were not were on the following:

size 10 brown bead head wooly bugger

Pink wooly bugger

pheasant tail nymph

hair's ear nymph.

I would say 60% were on the size 12 black wooly bugger.

I'm planning to take the boat out tomorrow and try out my new fish locator. I expect it to be interesting and hopefully informative. I have a choice of two lakes one is a couple of miles from the house and loaded with small bass. Lots of action and great fun but nothing to write home anout regarding size. The other is 20 miles away and has bigger fish but not as many so action is slow but worthwhile when it happens. I've been fishing the closer lake and last month In three trips I put 18 bass in the boat but all between 9 and 15 inches. Decisions, decisions.

That is a big lake alright. But I didn't see any boats on it. What is with that? Too shallow for boats

or don't you folks own any boats down there? How ya gonna catch fish without a boat. Didn't see

no cane poles either.

ED: I was just over on the flyfishing forum and there is apparently a war going on between the

flyfishers and the bald eagles. Four lakes were mentioned that eagles tried to steal their catch this

past week and I saw one last week over that the fishing hole. As if we didn't have enough trouble,

now this.

BMC

got a few places , that are about 200 ft deep in the channel , more boats than ya can shake a stick at

getting bad with jet skis and ski boats , gotta play where ya be fishing

most of the arms off , main lake are narrow , some one blasting through , acting a fool , wakes ya hard

CB

I like all of those patterns. If the wind dies down, I plan to use some soft hackle

Partridge and Orange and Partridge and Peacock in size 12 or 14.

Maybe a baby flymph size 14

BMC

I also tie several soft hackle. Ever try Pheasant cape and peacock? Killer on bluegill. also, quail and peacock.

Another classic one I tie is Starling and peacock. (can't say I ever regretted pulling a feather off a starling skin, don't like those little buggers anyway).

That is a big lake alright. But I didn't see any boats on it. What is with that? Too shallow for boats

or don't you folks own any boats down there? How ya gonna catch fish without a boat. Didn't see

no cane poles either.

ED: I was just over on the flyfishing forum and there is apparently a war going on between the

flyfishers and the bald eagles. Four lakes were mentioned that eagles tried to steal their catch this

past week and I saw one last week over that the fishing hole. As if we didn't have enough trouble,

now this.

Not Bald eagles but a pair of Osprey have taken up residence close to the lake I usually fish (20acre pond really). They have been pulling a lot of fish out haven't had one steal a fish off my line yet. I wouldn't mind too much, they have to eat too.

Howdy guys, well i'M BACK FROM MY LITTLE FISHING EXPEDITION AND AM MIGHTY CONFUSED. i WENT TO THE LITTLE LAKE (POND) ABOUT 5 ACRES AND WAS REALLY IMPRESSED WITH THE LOCATOR. gIVES DEPTH, wATER tEMP., AND CHARTS STRUCTURE AND BOTTOM, EVEN PLOTS FISH. i LOCATED SEVERAL STRUCTURES i DIDN'T KNOW WERE THERE AND PROBABLY SPENT TO MUCH TIME WATCHING THE LOCATOR AND TO LITTLE FISHING. tHE CONFUSING THING WAS THAT THE FISH HAD DISAPPEARED! i CHARTED A FEW sHAD AT DEPTHS OF 2 TO 8 FEET BUT THERE WERE NO FISH ON THE STRUCTURES, NO FISH IN THE DEEP WATER ( "mAX DEPTH ON THIS POND IN 13 FEET) AND NO FISH IN THE SHALLOWS. nOW i KNOW THIS POND IS FULL OF FISH BUT WE HAVE A FRONT COMING THROUGH AND MORE WIND THAN i COULD EASILY HANDLE BUT DARN IT THE FISH HAVE TO BE SOMEPLACE EVEN IF THEY AREN'T BITING. Sorry to shout. I hit the caps lock in error. The only place I could figure they might be was lying in the weeds so i threw Texas rigged worms and snagproof frogs and leeches at them, Cast them into the weeds and worked them slowly with no results. Score for the day 1 bass about 4" long and 4 bluegills. Mighty poor day I just couldn't figure out where they were But, it were still kinda fun.

Howdy guys, well i'M BACK FROM MY LITTLE FISHING EXPEDITION AND AM MIGHTY CONFUSED. i WENT TO THE LITTLE LAKE (POND) ABOUT 5 ACRES AND WAS REALLY IMPRESSED WITH THE LOCATOR. gIVES DEPTH, wATER tEMP., AND CHARTS STRUCTURE AND BOTTOM, EVEN PLOTS FISH. i LOCATED SEVERAL STRUCTURES i DIDN'T KNOW WERE THERE AND PROBABLY SPENT TO MUCH TIME WATCHING THE LOCATOR AND TO LITTLE FISHING. tHE CONFUSING THING WAS THAT THE FISH HAD DISAPPEARED! i CHARTED A FEW sHAD AT DEPTHS OF 2 TO 8 FEET BUT THERE WERE NO FISH ON THE STRUCTURES, NO FISH IN THE DEEP WATER ( "mAX DEPTH ON THIS POND IN 13 FEET) AND NO FISH IN THE SHALLOWS. nOW i KNOW THIS POND IS FULL OF FISH BUT WE HAVE A FRONT COMING THROUGH AND MORE WIND THAN i COULD EASILY HANDLE BUT DARN IT THE FISH HAVE TO BE SOMEPLACE EVEN IF THEY AREN'T BITING. Sorry to shout. I hit the caps lock in error. The only place I could figure they might be was lying in the weeds so i threw Texas rigged worms and snagproof frogs and leeches at them, Cast them into the weeds and worked them slowly with no results. Score for the day 1 bass about 4" long and 4 bluegills. Mighty poor day I just couldn't figure out where they were But, it were still kinda fun.

Bugs,

Couple things:

1) use the lowest frequency on your transducer assuming your locator has multiple. Mine is 77mhz and 225 (I think) mhz. the lower frequency shows more data, at least on my Garmin one.

2) fish laying on or close to the bottom won't necessarily show. They are in the weeds, moss or laying under structure. Sonar isn't going to pick them up. Some of the "red" bumps you saw on the bottom were most likely fish.

I find the fish finders are really more structure finders. I chart my local ponds and lakes, looking for creek beds, drop off, rock piles, trees on the bottom and a little later in the summer the edge of weed beds or any other place that will hold fish.

About the only time I've found it helpful for finding fish is when I'm looking for suspended schools of crappie.

Archived