SASS Wire Forum

Fishing Disease strikes Fisherman

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do have an ultra lite outfit but even that is filled with 6 lb test. It's not that I don't want to give the fish a chance it's just that "structure arround here is either rocks or brush and at $5 a throw I can't afford to lose 5+ lures a day.

Just to show how uninformed I am, Bugs, yesterday I discovered that the rig I was fishing is called

a Carolina rig. I thought it was just a sinker and a bait. I guess I need to get out more.

I was rigged with a 3/8 oz sliding egg sinker on the line with a worm and some chartreuse power bait.

I am wondering if I should shift up to a 1/2 inch sinker? But what the heck do I know.

I decided to respool some 6 pound on the other reel. That is going to be rigged with a smaller weight/float

type approach.

I have my casting rig for trolling.

I usually fish a Carolina rig with 1/2-3/4 oz weight, but when I am fishing that I'm usually at Cordell Hull or Old Hickory Lake where there is a bit of current.

Well, I found I have one (1) 1/2 oz egg sinker that I will take with me to see if I need it. I also have

3/8 eggs and a couple of 1/4 oz eggs.

I re-rigged my gear with one rod for drop shot fishing, one rod for Carolina rig fishing and one

rod for bobber fishing with a jig or worm.

And then there are the fly rods to deal with.

Going to run into 3 Rivers today and get spooled up on 6# line. I found another spool for the other reel

and I will spool both on 6# and pickup some weights then. I think I will stick with the monofilament line.

Maybe Maxima Ultragreen?

I'm kind of an Original Stren Guy. I've tried Spyder wire and Burkley and Garcia line but I always come back to Stren. I think I like it becuse I can see it and it is very abrasion resistant. I liked the soft flexibility of the Spyder Wire but had to many knot failures with it.

Well. I loaded the two spools with 6# PLINE CLEAR. Went back to the lake again but the wind was a blistery zepher out of the north. Lots of fish were being caught in the center of the lake but since I could not get out that far, I just watched.

Did see a unusual thing though. A fledgling eagle came down and hit the water looking for a meal. But he missed

and then look at all of the guys sitting on the bank as if to say, Hey! That is my dinner you are catching. LOL.

Bugs

if ya is gonna use spider wire or any other braid , ya best have some super glue

none of em , seem to hold a knot , very well

CB

+1

A Palomar knot holds better but yo be sure a dab of super glue is best.

Word out is that they knocked 'em dead today in the fishing lakes. It was a beautimus day with temps in the high 60s and SUNSHINE all day. I will try to slip out tomorrow. Supposed to get showers. But I can fish in the rain and the fish are already wet.

Yeahbut, you are not as delicate as I am, Tyrel.

Besides, who wants to get those icky fish all over their hands.

Momma taught me to come in out of the rain. Took forty years for

the lesson to sink in though. :lol:

Tell me oh wise one, what is the difference between a Carolina rig and

a Texas rig? Inquiring minds want to know.

Carolina rig has swivel and 1-3 ft leader between the plastic worm/lizard and the weight. Texas rig has no swivel or leader, the weight silde all the way to the plastic worm/lizard.

Archived