SASS Wire Forum

Fishing Disease strikes Fisherman

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeahbut, today is duty day. We did get a sprinkle of rain last night. Just

enough to get the grass going again. Got to get that string trimmer running

today. Maybe tonight I can get over to the lake and kill 'em again. :lol:

Anybody ever hunt bass with a hula popper?

I am guessing that this is a late evening or night time lure?

Fished around piers or edges with overhangs?

How about the Jitterbug?

We don't do much bass hunting here, but that is about to change.

Jitterbug, Hula Popper and other top water plugs are dusk and dawn lures for the most part. I have best luck casting parallel to the shore just a few feet off the shore and popping them back. Think how a frog swims and try to mimic that.

I also have good results with floating Rapala lures. Toss them out, let the m sit a few seconds and twitch so the go just under the surface and flash then float for a couple seconds and twitch again. Wounded / dying minnow imitation lure.

Again, with all the top water lures, I have best results dusk and dawn (and the first hour or so after dusk up to almost dark) fish around structure or along the shoreline.

Nothing like watching a bass explode on a top water lure. Gets your blood flowing for sure.

I use a technique similar to Guitar Slingers except I throw a floater diver crankbait. Toss it to the edge of the weeds or lilly pads and let it sit for a bit then twitch it, then let it sit for a bit. After two or three twitches if nothing explodes under it I retrieve it back to the boat or shore and toss it out again. Sometimes they hit it on the surface and sometimes on the retrieve. Using a deep diver this can be used all day long as the lure is cranked down the slope where the bass have retreated from the sun.

Well, I am experimenting with a floating worm rig also. Where I am fishing is near a dock and weed bed.

Maybe I will get up early tomorrow and try the plugs. Maybe not. :D I am a retard geezer.

The one I touched last week didn't seem to have much fight in him.

But then, he took right at the bank, so he didn't have much room to struggle.

I will say that he was not very sociable. When I turned him loose, he was gone

in a flash.

Landed two bass yesterday, lost two, and had three misses. All on topwater lures.

looks like I will get a chance to chase some bluegills today

maybe I can fool one or more into taking a whack at a bug

CB :)

Try some crickets, CB. Gills love crickets.

Landed two bass yesterday, lost two, and had three misses. All on topwater lures.

Any size to 'em? Gonna try my rubber worm rig next trip.

Well, I dug out my Cabela's E glass rod and decided that it was just made for bass fishing. I have an

older Abu Garcia C 3 or 4 round reel on it. Both are virgin gear but I guess I can break them in on bass.

Give them a test run tomorrow maybe.

Caught one catfish on the fly rod this evening. Not a stellar day but beats getting skunked. It was windy but the breeze out in the kayak felt good.

That rig with the Abu reel and EGlass rod should do just fine on bass.

It may be overlined but I will not respool until I try it out. Wish me luck.

I guess you make your own luck tho.

That little lake that I have been fishing always seems to have a wind factor.

Tried fly fishing with the 5 wt and that was a lost cause. I suppose I could

try the 8 wt but that seems like over kill on such little bass.

I think I will stick with the spinning and bait casting for a while tho.

Any size to 'em? Gonna try my rubber worm rig next trip.

2 to 2 1/2 pounds each. Both had been caught multiple times before.

Sometimes they can be very stupid in their actions. Other times they can drive you nuts

and make you think you are the stupid one.

Thinking of going out tomorrow afternoon/early evening. Might try the hula popper or

jitterbug plugs. I found two rubber skirts that I can use to replace the two that went south

on me. They are orange and brown so they do not exactly match the bodies of the two

plugs but I doubt that will be a big issue. Later in the week I am expecting six yellow

skirts to use as standbys. I have 4 Hula Poppers and 4 Jitterbugs. Don't think I have

ever used them. Had them for years.

Crappie?

Bass?

Blue gills?

???

BMC<

All are fun to catch, especially on a fly rod. Add blue and/or channel catfish and you have the warm water grand slam.

Well, I was going to go out and try my new rig at the lake, but it has been so hot, I think I

will put it off. Tomorrow I am going to the range to watch the boys shoot the High Power match with

the CMP stuff. May take the Garand and pump a few virtual rounds down range after the match is over.

Archived