SASS Wire Forum

Fishing Disease strikes Fisherman

Went crappie fishing at Lake of the Ozarks last month. Two of the four of us caught most of 'em. Of the two, the guy that caught the most was using a fly rod with one those old Zebco spin casting reels held in place with duct tape. Man, he could cast a long way and accurately too.

We used a variety of jigs with different covers. Seems the ones with a white head, black eye and yellow covers did the best for two days. After that it was a crap(pie) shoot on what worked best.

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went crappie fishing at Lake of the Ozarks last month. Two of the four of us caught most of 'em. Of the two, the guy that caught the most was using a fly rod with one those old Zebco spin casting reels held in place with duct tape. Man, he could cast a long way and accurately too.

We used a variety of jigs with different covers. Seems the ones with a white head, black eye and yellow covers did the best for two days. After that it was a crap(pie) shoot on what worked best.

Now that is an interesting combination. Those jigs probably looked like bait fish to the Crappie.

Fish are funny that way. When the dinner bell rings on a certain item, they will pretty much ignore

everything else and key in on supper. Other times they don't seem to care one way or the other.

If it looks like dinner, it is dinner. But the most trying days are when they will not take anything I throw

at them.

Just had a brain bubble. Time to get the boat ready to go. Doesn't need a lot but a good cleaning out,

some grease on the trailer wheel bearings and gas in the tank. Put the decks and seats in and lash 'er down. Time to renew my boat registration and I suppose I will have to break down and get a Discover Pass to get into the boat ramps.

Well, the new fly line arrived today. The head is a very soft green and the rear taper and running line are a very bright yellow.

No trouble seeing that line, even in a low light situation. I was going to put it on the reel tonight but I have a doctors appointment tomorrow. So not fishing today or tomorrow. I guess I will just wait until I can go out and try it.

I have a couple of new flies that I want to try out also. I will box them up and head for the lake on Wednesday.

Well, the new fly line arrived today. The head is a very soft green and the rear taper and running line are a very bright yellow.

No trouble seeing that line, even in a low light situation. I was going to put it on the reel tonight but I have a doctors appointment tomorrow. So not fishing today or tomorrow. I guess I will just wait until I can go out and try it.

I have a couple of new flies that I want to try out also. I will box them up and head for the lake on Wednesday.

Eagerly awaiting the report. I've been using mine all spring and it casts very well on my Scott so it should do just as well on your SLT.

I worked on my sink tip line today. It is a Cortland 444 SL that I bought a loooong time ago.

I had too much backing on the reel so I removed the line and cut off about twenty yards of

backing. I then cemented the nail not with some pliobond to smooth it out. Now I have to

wait for it to dry. I guess I could have used super glue but the pliobond is soft and like rubber.

Got a busy week. Flowers to the cemetery for the folks on Friday, a couple of Memorial day

services on Monday, and I don't fish on the week ends. Don't know what Thursday will bring

but that looks like a short fishing window.

My ineptness continues. For years I have been searching for DRUNKEN CHARLIE LAKE to fish. Years ago, I spent a whole saturday, along with two equally nutty fishing companions, searching for this lake. We found a 8 foot high chain link fence around a upscale home in the middle of second growth timber, but no lake. We did locate one beaver pond but it was very shallow and did not fish it. According to Washingtonlakes.com it is a small 1 acre lake that is very deep. Supposed to have LARGE TROUT but I suspect that the creatures that inhabit it are of a less sophisticated gene pool. I suppose the fishing gods do not want me to sully it's waters with my humble offerings.

Maybe I will seek out Lake Margaret instead.

Afraid not GS. The map shows the road way but there are some tough hills and valleys between the lake and the road.

A critter could get lost right fast back in there.

An aside note, wild wolves have been spotted about thirty miles south of there. Not that it makes any difference, but something that we have not seen in almost 100 years. Reintroduced from Canada to assist the elk herds I am told. Of course I am told a lot of things by those in charge of such matters. Do I sound skeptical? :mellow:

Well, off to see the metal recycler to unload the pickemup truck and then to reload it for a trip to the testing grounds.

The fish will have a joyous day, laughing at length, I am certain of that. :D

Well, I discovered that both of my sink tip lines are kaput. Not going to replace them just yet, as I have a six weight line with a sink tip. The dead ones are 5 wt. Both well over 20 years old. I don't use sink tiips much but I have been considering changing all that.

Now what to get. I kind like the idea of a clear tip.

BMC

have you looked into the short sink tips , you loop to loop onto your floating lines ?

I ran across then several years ago , never got one , as I don't fish that deep with a fly rod

I thought it would be a good way to get down fast for the white bass , when they were up in the rivers

CB

Yeah, I have two Airflo sink tips that would work. I considered that and save some coin on

new lines. Will test it out when the rivers open. Floating lines work best in running water because

of the stones in freestone rivers.

Archived