SASS Wire Forum

Fishing Disease strikes Fisherman

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That Sage 590 SLT is the nicest rod I have ever used.

Speaking of fast rods, I have a older Sage 8 96 RP that is about as fast as I can handle.

It makes me look like I know what I am doing though. :lol:

Over on the other thread about Bug's casting dilemma, I mentioned a couple of lines for his consideration.

Then I got to thinking how expensive this fishing thing has become. I suspect that it will lead to a problem in the future. Sad thing.

Well, $40.00 bucks for a Rio is not out of line with some of the other lines.

But that is a top line sale item on a speciality line. I think for what Bugs is doing

it would fit right in. That rod sounds to me like it would be a good bass rod

and a bass line would complete the link.

Some real junk out there in the low end on lines.

As far as I can see, he can limp by with that reel until he finds his niche

and decides he wants a better reel.

I don't have any lines that I can send him because all of mine are 2/3 wt./ 5/6 wt and

8 wt. Hey, wait a minute, I think I have a 8 weight that he could try. Maybe lining up one wt

would work for him, or at least get him casting.

Thursday I'm going out again. had band practice tonight but I'm going to conquer some fish tomorrow.

I have the 5wt version of this line on one of my rods. Can't beat it for the price. Casts good, doesn't take a coil set and floats well.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Bargain-Cave/Fly-Fishing/Rods-Reels-Line|/pc/105591780/c/105763680/sc/105764580/Cabelas-Prestige-Plus-WF-Floating-Fly-Line/1747705.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Frods-reels-line%2F_%2FN-1102797%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_105764580

GS

I sent Bugs an old 8 wt line I had. It will do to get him casting. I am sure he will want

to replace it once he finds the sweet spot. But hey, the price was right.
Free is always good, right Bugs?

Not only is free a great price, it's the sign of a great guy. I really appreciate the chance to try out a weight forward line before buying one.. You weren't joking when you said the yuppies have driven the prices through the roof on fly fishing equipment.

Thank you , thank you, thank you.

Manufacturers have put a lot of time and effort into technology. Somebody has to pay for it I suppose.

Back in the day when they used horsehair and silk, line maintenance and gear were a real effort to keep

in good order. You had to remove the horsehair lines and dry them before they could be used again.

But the up side was there were more fish and less fisherpersons. :lol:

ED: Well, you guys managed to get me in trouble again!

Thanks to GS, I ordered one of those Sage lines from Cabelas for my 5 wt.

I have an old, old, old Cortland peach line on my Hardy and it needed to be

replaced and at that price I could not resist. I have a birthday coming up later

this month, so this will be my present to myself. :)

IT IS ALL YOU FAULT, BUGS! At least that is what I am going to tell my wife. :lol:

IT IS ALL YOU FAULT, BUGS! At least that is what I am going to tell my wife.

​Ah, I'm the fall guy again! Well, it might just as well be me, I'm used to it. When I was working they used to tell me that I was a very responsible person and sure enough every time something went wrong, I was the guy they held responsible.

Beware! Buyers Remorse.

I said that I had ordered a new fly line from Cabelas. Doing a little research

I am now pondering if that line is the same as the Rio Gold line or the Rio Grand

line. According to the web site it may be the heaver Grand version under another

name. I guess I will find out when it arrives.

I sent an email to Sage and asked about the rod and line and they so much as told me that

the heaver line was not the best choice.

If I had only known, I could have ordered the 4 wt line and it would have balanced with the rod.

I guess I will find out. In the meanwhile, I can wring my hands, beat my breast and cry, OH MISFORTUNE,

OH MISGUIDED OAF. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?

After looking around at the ads for fly lines, I am beginning to wonder if something is going on in the board rooms.

Rio has been the predominant fly line manufacturer in the US for some time. They are owned by the same holding

company that owns Sage, the top name in fly rods, in the US.

Looking at the web sites for the flyfishing fraternity, Sage is now offering fly lines as well as Rio and both are being

discounted by the retailers. Some others are also offering reductions on their lines, but the discounts do not seem to

be as deep as Rio and Sage. Wonder what is going on?

Well, Rio came out with a new line of lines and raised the price by about $10.00. Could be a marketing lever to introduce a new product and increase the price? I suspect that Airflo, out of England may have been making some dents in the market here. Looks like the US representative is not as visible as he was a few years ago.

Fly lines have got to be a real burden in the retail end of the market. So many line sizes and so many line types. Warm water lines and Cool water lines, Floating, Sink tip, three or four different sink rate for FULL SINKING. Two different types of sinking, level and sink rates. I guess that is why the price of rods and reels are so expensive, to cover the overhead on the lines?

OR, maybe BMC is full of chit and knows not of what he speaks. :lol:

After looking around at the ads for fly lines, I am beginning to wonder if something is going on in the board rooms.

Rio has been the predominant fly line manufacturer in the US for some time. They are owned by the same holding

company that owns Sage, the top name in fly rods, in the US.

Looking at the web sites for the flyfishing fraternity, Sage is now offering fly lines as well as Rio and both are being

discounted by the retailers. Some others are also offering reductions on their lines, but the discounts do not seem to

be as deep as Rio and Sage. Wonder what is going on?

BMC.

Usually the deep discounts on fly lines is because they are either 1) about to come out with the next great thing, or 2) are making a packaging change and need to get rid of existing stock for the sleek new packaging.

A year ago, Rio Gold ($80.00 fly line) was on sale for $25. I bought a couple since I like that line. A few months later, they came out with their new packaging. No difference in line but new box. Back to the $70+ range. Glad I jumped on it.

Hey, by the way, that Sage line being on sale everywhere for $30 is, for all purposes, Rio Gold. I picked up a 5wt a couple weeks ago and it sure seems like the same stuff to me.

GS,

The only thing on the Rio Gold/Grand thing is that they are basically the same lines with different weights.

The Gold is for the softer rods and the Grand is for the fast action rods. The Gold runs true to rod weight

on the softer rods, but the Grands are supposed to cast better on the fast action rods.

What caught me off guard was the line color. The color on the Sage is the same as the color on the Grand.

My rod has a softer action and is not a true fast action rod. That is why I enjoy casting it. But, and there is

always that but, the guy at Sage assured me that it would work fine. I guess I will see when I get it in hand.

According to the man at Sage, they made fly lines for around 10 years before Rio joined the team. I suspect

that the new series of lines that Rio is coming out with, has something to do with the price reduction and the

name of SAGE.

BMC,

Most of my rods are fairly soft too.

Winston BIIt 9' 4wt (favorite trout rod)

Scott G2 9' 5wt (currently sporting the Sage line)

Scott G2 8'4" 3wt (love the rod, not much to use it on around here, I do take it bluegill fishing from time to time).

Some assorted other Cabela's, St. Croix, and no-name rods laying about somewhere in the cluttered mess that serves as my gun shop, fly tying room and wife-proof den of clutter.

GS

My wife is ms. Organized. Me give me 5 lbs of stuff and a 10 lb. bag and I'll need at least two more 10 lb bags to get that 5 lbs of stuff in. She can't understand how I ever find anything but yesterday she was looking for some rubber gloves and I told her I had some heavy duty and some latex gloves under my workbench just right of center. She was amazed! there were shop rags and a Shotgun News hiding them but they were exactly where I said they would be. She asked how I knew where they were and i told her that was where I keep them. She gave up, shook her head and headed out to do whatever chore she was working on wearing the gloves.

I seem to have decided preferences in fly rods.

I have a Sage 8 wt. RP that I bought for steelhead fishing waaay back in

the 1980. It is a full day's work to cast all day long. But it will do the job. Throws big bugs and heavy lines well.

I also have a Sage Graphite II four piece that I bought to take with me when I traveled for the boss.

I have a problem with that rod for some reason. It is not as soft as the other 5 weights, and I suspect that the 4 pieces have something to do with that. Perhaps that is what has tainted my opinion on 4 piece rods. That and lining up the guides during assembly.

Then there is the SLT 5 wt which is my favorite and the one I am looking for the new line. Of course it will work on the others

but this is the one that caused the search.

I also have a 2 weight that I had a professional rod builder make from a Sage blank. It is a speciality rod I use for small trout and pan fish in small lakes and skinny streams.

These are all Sage rods and blanks.

I also have a lamiglas blank that is a 5 wt. It cast different than the others and I use it mostly for a trolling rod

with deep lines. Fish don't seem to mind.

Bugs, my wife gave up on trying to correct my untidy habits.

Well, I am certainly not an elitist. At least I hope not.

I do like the feel of those rods though. I like the way the reels operate

and I love to hear them scream. :)

Now fly lines, I have little knowledge of what I am about. I barely know

which end goes on the backing and which end goes on the leader.

BMC,

I have that sage line from Cabelas and it works fine on my Scott G2 which is not a fast rod by any stretch of the imagination. It is very comparable to the Sage SLT. It will work fine on your rod. Casts great and I like the color change (similar to the gold) at 30'. Especially fishing from a kayak since it's hard for me to judge distance sitting a foot or so off the water.

BMC,

I have that sage line from Cabelas and it works fine on my Scott G2 which is not a fast rod by any stretch of the imagination. It is very comparable to the Sage SLT. It will work fine on your rod. Casts great and I like the color change (similar to the gold) at 30'. Especially fishing from a kayak since it's hard for me to judge distance sitting a foot or so off the water.

Hahahahaha. You are assuming that I can cast far enough to see the new color.

Thanks for the conformation. I am anxious to get it and put it on the reel. I don't know which reel to put it on. If I put

it on the SA reel I would have to remove the line from the Hardy to replace it. I guess I will just strip off the old line on

the Hardy and put the new one on it and the GO FISH. Rivers open in three weeks. Not as many fish in the rivers but

it is fun to seek them out of the runs and riffles.

Archived