SASS Wire Forum

Fishing Disease strikes Fisherman

Been sitting at the vise tying red and black woolies. I like the color combination but I am having trouble

getting the tail the way I want it. The marabou covers up the red tinsel but when it gets wet the red looks

like lump. Maybe too much tinsel or I need another material. Will keep working on it. If I get something

decent I will try to post a picture of it. Haven't seen much of CB. Maybe he went fishing and the electrons

got him.

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been sitting at the vise tying red and black woolies. I like the color combination but I am having trouble

getting the tail the way I want it. The marabou covers up the red tinsel but when it gets wet the red looks

like lump. Maybe too much tinsel or I need another material. Will keep working on it. If I get something

decent I will try to post a picture of it. Haven't seen much of CB. Maybe he went fishing and the electrons

got him.

Badger,

don't worry about the red clump. Marabou tends to look like a wet pile of dead chicken feathers when out of the water. What you really need to do is see it in the water as you are stripping in. The marabou fibers flutter, undulate and look alive. The red tinsel will show through. I usually also tie in a strand or two of crystal flash in the tail.

For sizing, I usually have about 1 hook shank length of marabou out past the bend of the hook and tie it in right at the hook bend.

When I tie red and white buggers, I usually tie with white tail, white chenille and red hackle feathers with red thread head. bass and bluegill love them. I wonder if the red looks like blood and the fish think wounded minnow is an easy meal?

Who knows what a fish thinks? They have an IQ of 3. When I told the lovely Mrs. Slinger that, she suggested that is why I don't catch more fish.... they are smarter than me... Ouch.

GS

Trouble is my middle name.

Gander at this. Rattlesnake Lake is about thirty minutes from my front door.

Stocked and open year round.

http://www.northwestflyanglers.org/outings.htm

Neat area for sure, for sure. Fish do not run large and are somewhat reluctant due to pressure, but it is

a nice place to spend a warm summer day. Don't know where the name RATTLESNAKE comes from.

We do not have rattlers over on the West side, but they do reside on the East side of the Cascades.

We do have garter snakes tho, for what that is worth. They don't like my string trimmer.

We got gravel bars all over the place. A gift from the glaciers that came through here about 10,000 years ago.

You should read about Dry Falls, my favorite trout lake. Lake Missoula did some real damage all the way from

over in Montana, two states away.

Got the Kayak out 2 days this week so far and will be going out tomorrow if it isn't raining (will fish from shore in the rain). Caught a bunch of stocker trout, a couple bass, and 3 bluegill over the past 2 days. Spring is here in Kentucky!

Well, I will be fishing from the bank and my comfy lawn chair. I thought about taking the fly rod, but there is a chance of wind

so I will just take the spinning gear and look for planters.

Got some woolie buggers in red and black that I am working on, but can't get the color to show the way I want. Also will

try some brown and yellow buggers for baby perch.

WELL, I GOT OUT TO THE LAKE!

NO LOVE AT THE LAKE!

DISASTER WITH THE GEAR.

I thought I had everything down pat but in my rush to judgment I did not

do my home work and the results were a disaster. Gonna need some new

line on one of the reels. Need to load the tackle box with more usable stuff

and not so much junk and usless stuff. Forgot sliding sinkers. I have dozens

at home and none at the lake. Ahhhhhhhhgggggggghhhhhhh!

Anyway, it was a nice day with warm sunshine, but a cool breeze out of the

North that put a chill on things. But I had fun and didn't fall in the lake.

Guy next to me caught two while I was there and one was a 15 incher by the

tape. A good day all in all, and I HAD FUN1

NOT if the drag is set properly

I have landed lots of fish on 4# line , well above the line weight

CB

+1

I've caught lots of 4-5lb smallmouth bass on 4lb test Stren and one 6lb.

I almost hate to interject myself into this August society of purest fly fisherman as i am but a lowly bass fisherman who hasn't held a fly rod or tied a fly since 1964 but, I was at the lake this evening and caught six bluegill that went into my pond and four bass that I released because we have a 15" minimum length in that particular lake and all four were under that. I didn't even give 'em a fighting chance cause theyt was all caught on nr new bait caster with 14 lb Stren.

I almost hate to interject myself into this August society of purest fly fisherman as i am but a lowly bass fisherman who hasn't held a fly rod or tied a fly since 1964 but, I was at the lake this evening and caught six bluegill that went into my pond and four bass that I released because we have a 15" minimum length in that particular lake and all four were under that. I didn't even give 'em a fighting chance cause theyt was all caught on nr new bait caster with 14 lb Stren.

I tend to lean more to the heavier lines me own self. Since most of these fish are hatchery fish, I am

prone to fish light tackle. But that said, I am leaning toward the 8# line, maybe 6# if I feel brave.

I have some 12# line in the box but that is a tad too heavy. Think I will run into the 3 Rivers Marina and have

them spool me up so I can get on the water Monday. Tomorrow is honey dew day.

Archived