SASS Wire Forum

Fishing Disease strikes Fisherman

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, my Modus Operandi has changed some since I have aged. Pretty much ruled out a float tube or pontoon boat.

That will leave sitting on the dock in a lawn chair, or if I can launch my boat, fishing from it. Thinking that pier fishing

might be the best since BG and Bass like the cover a dock provides.

Beginning to think about targeting blue gill and small mouf bass this summer. What do you guys think?

I think if you use a fly rod to target bluegill and small mouth bass, you'll have almost as much fun as winning a cowboy action shoot!.

Sounds like a plan. The first year after I retired I only went fishing four times. That next spring I thought "what are you doing?" Now I try to get out at least once a week.

I'm not retired, but there is a lake about 10 minutes from my house and a decent smallmouth bass stream about 15 minutes from here. According to my fishing log, I was on the water a little over 125 days in 2014.

Hopefully, 2015 will put me on the water about 130-140 days. Yes, that is nearly every day during our warmer months and a few days in less than warm times.

Well Slinger I envy you and could probably do better than once a week buy I have two more books in the works and between doing research and writing I'm pretty much enjoying that as much as I enjoy fishing. Then there is the gunsmithing and articles on how to for American Gunsmith. I can't stop doing those because the money from them funds my shooting and fishing equipment.

Put three more bluegills in the pond. Two of them are small enough to be bass food, the third is breeding stock. Also caught a few crappie today but I cleaned those for my wife. My little pond now has a total of 20 bass, 50 Bluegills and 14 Crappies stocked in it.

Put three more bluegills in the pond. Two of them are small enough to be bass food, the third is breeding stock. Also caught a few crappie today but I cleaned those for my wife. My little pond now has a total of 20 bass, 50 Bluegills and 14 Crappies stocked in it.

I do envy you having your own pond. That is one requirement of our retirement home.

Well, another big job to do. Got to run through the flies in my inventory, tie some new ones for special targets, and attach some

leaders to the spin gear. A LABOR OF LOVE. :D

BMC,

Wooly buggers in black, olive, brown. Size 6, 8, 10, 12

Bead head pheasant tails sizes 12, 14, 16

foam poppers yellow, black sizes 4 to 10

Clouser Minnow - chartreuse and white, size 6

With the above, you can catch any bass, bluegill or crappie that swims. Put just a touch (one or two strands) of crystal flash in the tail of your wooly buggers and make the pheasant tail nymphs just a little fatter in the thorax than a standard trout fly. I usually hang the nymphs as droppers below the poppers or as a follower to the wooly buggers. About 12 - 18" behind the main fly. Bluegill love them.

Warm water fish on a fly rod are a hoot. Just wait until you do battle with a 4 or 5 pound bass on a 4wt fly rod and 4X tippet. It'll make a believer.

GS

Oh Lardy, be still my heart. :lol:

Down side is that we do not have very much warm water on this side of the hump. Might make a trip

to the dry side for some bass bothering. Understand that the lower Yakama is full of small mouth

and lots of other critters. Dang state keeps planting all the lakes with trout. Maybe the potholes would

hold some love for the pan fish bunch.

OK guys, the fever is at record pitch. Called my SIL to see if he wants to go fish with me next week, weather cooperating.

If he decides not to go, I will take my little 2 wt and try some chironomid fishing. If he wants to go, I will take my little Browning

spinning rod with a slip float and worm hook.

Skunked, smunked. I just want to be out on the water with my fishing rod in hand.

If fish were the only issue with fishing, the market would be the most economical

route to take. Blue skies, warm sun, lap of the water on the shore, bob of the boat,

tug on the line, watching the rod tip for that all informative tug, that what it is to me.

Caught two fish I couldn't name yesterday at a local lake. At first I thought they were crappies as they came out of the water. Silver body with black racing stripes but the mouth was too small and the fins were wrong. Got two of them about 9 inches long. Finally found a guy shore fishing that told me they were shad. I guess I thought shad were no bigger than 4 inches. Looks like I was wrong.

Get some chores done, and then a sneak over to the lake to see how things are going.

Of course I will miss the I got out on the lake at 0 dark 30 and was in with my limit by

0800 hours boys.

How many and how big, sez I.

Limit and they were PAN SIZE.

Pretty small pan sez I. :D

GS

go find a striped bass , 15+ lbs , that will tug on the rod a mite :)

brought a 18 1/2 lb to hand on a 7 wt ,

BTW , ya relly want a fighting butt on a fly rod , when ya get into big fish

CB

My 7wt has a fighting butt. Biggest thing I landed on it was a 10lb catfish that took a deer hair bass bug. I was on a little 1 man pontoon boat and that catfish took me on a water skying adventure.

First fish on a fly rod this year was a carp. About 12" long carp. Took a brown size 10 bead head wooly bugger. Danged if I know, don't ask. :)

Been tearing up the stocker trout this spring, caught my first 2 bass of the season right before this last cold front blew through and have brought a handful of bluegill to hand. So far, no crappie. Hopefully after the sun comes out next week, we'll see some crappie.

Stay safe, CB and stay home. The fish will wait.

We had a small cold front move in Thursday so today I went out to check out the lakes. No fishing just looking.

First lake looked like the plants were taking bugs just under the surface or sipping them in on the surface. Maybe

BWO's hatching, I donno. They were in the middle of the lake and I was at the ramp. Two guys with a boat were

just leaving, it was 1500 hours when I was there, and it looked like they had done well. Did not see fish however.

May go over Monday and wet a worm or something.

Second lake had a couple of fishermen but no action that I could tell.

Third lake was crowded with bait flingers. Think I will avoid that one until later in the year. Maybe late May or early June.

We've been having stone flies and little yellow sallies coming off here over the past few days.

strong cold front came through yesterday. 25 degrees colder today than Friday. Going to put the fish down for a few days.

CB, there isn't a fish out there that is worth getting killed over. be safe my friend.

Archived