SASS Wire Forum

Fishing Disease strikes Fisherman

GS

where is the motor ?

I don't paddle , unless it be a last resort :P

CB

I love to paddle, well, up until I see someone sitting on a bridge playing banjo (and yes, I do also play banjo - don't ask....) :)

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I need to replace my little aluminum semi vee. I've had it since 67 and the aluminum is starting to crack around the rivets. It's mostly held together with aquarium sealer and even when I park it in the garage after a day on a lake it looks like it's raining under the boat. One of these days I'm gonna stand up in it and go through the bottom. And I do believe that UFO (Unidentified floating object) is a Largemouth not a Smallmouth bass.

:huh:

given the marking on it , I wonder if it is not a hi bred LG mouth / Small mouth cross

down here , they is called a mean mouth bass

tend to fight more like a smalley ,

CB

Could be but I've not caught many largemouth out of that stream. Lots of green sunfish, pumpkinseed and fat smallmouth. I've caught a few largemouth but smallmouth are 10:10 ratio.

GS

the jaw does Not extend past the eye , so it is a small mouth ,

but there seems to be a bit too much green for it to be a brownie

CB

Ive caught a lot of Smallmouth out of Dale Hollow Lake that had that greenish color. I think water clarity and time of year changes their skin tone some.

I voting for the grass carp. :D

Could be a green catfish too. :)

This stream is very fertile with a lot of insect life and thousands upon thousands of crawdads and small bait fish. The bass au usually pretty fat. The smallmouth in this stream run from the typical bronze color to more of a greenish like this fellow is. Nice little wading stream most of the deeper holes are about 5-10' deep but plenty of runs where one can stand waist deep on warm summer afternoons and cast into slightly deeper water. They will hit a yellow popper any time of day. I tie that little gurgler popper in a number of sizes with black marabou tails. fish love them.

GS

Could be a green catfish too. :)

This stream is very fertile with a lot of insect life and thousands upon thousands of crawdads and small bait fish. The bass au usually pretty fat. The smallmouth in this stream run from the typical bronze color to more of a greenish like this fellow is. Nice little wading stream most of the deeper holes are about 5-10' deep but plenty of runs where one can stand waist deep on warm summer afternoons and cast into slightly deeper water. They will hit a yellow popper any time of day. I tie that little gurgler popper in a number of sizes with black marabou tails. fish love them.

GS

Ever try live crawdads?

What is it about chartreuse and black that works so well? Fish seem to love that color combination.

ED: I just knew it would happen.

Saturday is the grand opener for lowland lakes in Washington.

Saturday is scheduled for a heavy rain.

Never fails. Don't know how many opening days I sat in a wet boat and

wondered where my sanity was.

What is it about chartreuse and black that works so well? Fish seem to love that color combination.

Looks like small fish.

Red and black is killer around here.

My favorite bass lure and color:

Bandit-Square-Bill-Rootbeer.jpg

I never won anything. Fish don't like me. They spit at me when I sit in the boat.

Ok here is the question for tonight. IF I get out to fish next week, should I take the

spinning rod and reel, or the fly rod? Will be fishing for anything that swims. I am

not a trout purist.

BMC

whatever is on the rods , only got about 1/2 dozen , sturng across the fornt deck , and about the same # in the rod holder

thinking about breaking out the paint gun and doing some rattle traps in yellow and black or chart & black :huh:

sounds like a bunck of W@%& , though :unsure:

CB

BMC

whatever is on the rods , only got about 1/2 dozen , sturng across the fornt deck , and about the same # in the rod holder

thinking about breaking out the paint gun and doing some rattle traps in yellow and black or chart & black :huh:

sounds like a bunck of W@%& , though :unsure:

CB

Don't forget RED and BLACK or RED and WHITE!

OR YOU COULD JUST USE A WORM.

nORTHEASTERN iOWA HAS SOME PRETTY NICE TROUT STREAMS AND i TOOK MU sON- IN-lAW UP THERE TO FISH ONE WEEKEND. tHE STREAMS WERE SO FULL OF HATCHERY RAISED TROUT YOU COULD SEE THEM ALL SCHOOLED UP. pROBLEM WAS THEY WOULDN'T HIT ANYTHINg. wE FISHED ALL DAY AND THREW EVERYTHING WQE HAD AT THEM. fLIES, lURES, sALMON eGGS, CORN, AND NOTHING THEY REFUSED TO EVEN LOOK AT OUR BAIT AS IT FLOATED BY. tHEN i TRIPPED OVER A ROCK AND SAW (Dammit I hate when I hit the caps lock key and don't notice it until I'm halfway through a story) a worm, put it on the hook in desperation and we limited out in the next 20 minutes. Next day, different river same result. Iowa trout are so unsophisticated they don't even know what they are supposed to like. Don't they teach them anything in those schools?

Don't know anybody that has figured out how the fish think, Bugs.

Guess that is what makes fishing so much fun and frustrating at same time.

Worms seem to work MOST of the time, but that is really too simple for most of us.

I fondly recall fishing for bluegill with my cousin in Southern Illinois a few years back.

He introduced me to fishing with crickets. Boy, those BG sure loved those crickets, that

is until they found the hook in them. I think I like fishing for blue gills just about as much

as fishing for anything else.

Of course, salmon will give you more on the platter, but for taste, perch,

and bluegill are top notch.

I've always been fond of fish from the perch family. Lake perch and Walleye top my list then come Bluegill and Bass. Personally I don't care for any of the Salmon or trout I've tasted but my wife likes than. I also prefer Bullheads to Catfish but then nobody has ever accused me of having good taste.

Walleye are hard to come by here in Western Washington. But the Columbia seems to have plenty.

Maybe some fine day I can try my hand at it, In the meanwhile, we got lots of perch here in Lake

Washington, and just about all of the other smaller lakes. Danged fools keep killing off the blue gills

so we don't have as many. Eastern Washington has some though. Washington is like two different

countries. Dry and hot in the east and cold and damp in the west.

Been cogitating on a good blue gill fly to make up. Blue gills feed looking up, so something that will

not sink too far but look active in the water. I am thinking a good size ant pattern might be the ticket.

I've had my best luck with a Royal Coachmen for Bluegills but have never fished in Washington. Maybe Western Bluegill have different preferences than Midwestern bluegill

Well, it is worth a try and I will give you a report when I do.

I have my best luck catching bluegill with a size 10 brown or black wooly bugger with a size 12 bead head pheasant tail trailing. sometimes they hit the nymph sometimes they hit the wooly bugger.

During summer months, I fish a small foam popper and usually trail a nymph of some kind under. Lots of bluegill that way. Last summer, I caught a 28" channel catfish on a size 12 nymph that was about 15" below my popper. He put up quite a fight on my 4wt rod and 4X tippet.

GS

Archived