SASS Wire Forum

Fishing Disease strikes Fisherman

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I lived in Iowa a guy was killed by a lightening strike as he was standing in his aluminum boat pulling up the anchor chain. His snrakers were melted to the floor of the boat. I hear thunder in the distance, I head to shore.

Hep me boys! I visited the fishing toy store yesterday and couldn't think of anything I needed to buy.

Except bait and the lakes are a week away from opening. Asides, I never fish on opening day. May go over to the lake and watch the idiots and perhaps I can get to watch someone fall in the water.

Maybe I should shake the box with the May flies in them, and get all those phony bugs ready for the dance. :)

Hep me boys! I visited the fishing toy store yesterday and couldn't think of anything I needed to buy.

Except bait and the lakes are a week away from opening. Asides, I never fish on opening day. May go over to the lake and watch the idiots and perhaps I can get to watch someone fall in the water.

Maybe I should shake the box with the May flies in them, and get all those phony bugs ready for the dance. :)

WHAT!!!?? Next time you can't think of something to buy yourself feel free to get me a Shimano spinning reel or baitcaster for that matter. PM me for address ;)

Bought one of them Shimano Sahara spinning reels last year. Boy is that a beauty.

Smooth as glass on a table top. I have others that are just as smooth. They make

some fine reels. I have two Shimano bait casting reels but they are not quite as

smooth as the spin reels, IMNHO.

Got three spools of brand spanking new line that I have in reserve. Guess I need to fish

some to wear out some line, eh?

Maybe I can dig out the downriggers and get them ready for summer fishing.

I bought Lew's Speed Spool Tournament bait caster to replace the Shimano Bantam that gave up the ghost on me after only 30 years of faithful service. Took it fishing with me yesterday but the bass just weren't biting. It is a truly wonderful baitcaster. I pulled out my faithful Shakespeare ultralight rig and managed to bumble into 10 nice Crappie. I'm missing something regarding spinning reels. They must be good, so many people love them but they always give me problems. After a half a day fishing the line is twisted and loops of line are hanging off the spool. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I avoid using the things just because I seem to spend more time untangling the line than I do fishing.

I believe that line twist is a dreaded side effect of spinning reels. My take is that they cast a bit further and are easier to cast than the baitcasters, but have the tendecy to twist the line as it comes off the spool. Line makers are working to solve the problem, but if you read the ads, they usually have the word "VIRTUALLY FREE" in front of line twist. But that virtual can hurt you. Applying a swivel ahead of your terminal gear will help some, but will not eliminate it. Using a limp line will also help. But I have not found a

way to eliminate it altogether.

ED: I seldom have a line twist problem when I fly fish. :)

I have a pair of Shimano Castaic baitcasters that are smooth as silk and 3 Shimano Stradic spinners that just can't be beat. Shimanos are pricey but worth it IMO.

I have a pair of Shimano Castaic baitcasters that are smooth as silk and 3 Shimano Stradic spinners that just can't be beat. Shimanos are pricey but worth it IMO.

+1. I have two of the Bantam reels. Both are good reels. The older one is better than the newer one but both have some miles on them. For hanging over the side of a boat, the newer one is just fine. For working a steelhead, I take the older one every time.

Besides, it has bigger fish scales on the side of it. Guess I should have washed them off.

I find that I reach for the spinning gear more now than I did in the past. Wonder why that is?

Just love being on the water in any mode, though. Warm sun, cool zephers, and the sound of the waves. Ahhhhh. Cold beer don't hurt none either.

Still ice on the lake outside of town, won't be covered much longer.

What is all this talk about no license, bad weather( I always catch more fish in foul weather) ( a little lightning ) stop you from going fishing? I heard a story similar to Bug's but the guy was fishing on the ocean.

My excuse, I have been working, since spring is here.

Guys

I have found , you can reduce line twist on a spinning reel , by hand flipping the bail , as opposed to using the handle to trip it

CB

I have read that is the new standard for spinning reels. I find it works pretty well for me. Not sure I believe all the hype about it, but it does work, but then again, so does the handle method.

Saw on the National Weather Map tonight, that you folks in Arkansas are in for some hefty weather. Looks like rain and Thunderboomers.

In Missouri residents don't need a fishing or hunting license after the age of 65. This is a state regulation but you would still need to buy Duck stamps, Trout Stamps and Deer permits.

You guys in Missouri have a great deal on natural resources. Don't let the folks in Jeff City talk to the folks in Olympia. They find out how easy it is to raid the wallet of the residents, and youse guys will be in a world of hurt.

My cousin keeps telling me about how easy it is for him to fish and hunt. Well, he too has hung up the hunting routine.

Guess old age gets us all. Anyway, he is going fishing this week. I am not. There is one lake that is open and I do have

a new license. Maybe I can stretch that some. Hmmmmmm.

Just checked and the calendar is empty all week. Oh Oh. Momma sed something about Costco. Oh well, that is just one day.

well the cold front is making it's way here , looks like a slight chance to get out on Tues

between the storms , got the rain express running , 3 day of rain , 2 days to clean up , 3 more days of rain

not good for fishing , but maybe it will help grow some crops ,

lows going back to the mid 40 again :(

CB :unsure:

I'm just waiting for a day when the wind isn't blowing 20mph and the rain isn't pouring down. Can't wait to get out in my new toy and terrorize the local fish population.

IMG_2012_zps03loy9vo.jpg

IMG_2011_zps2p26y0uu.jpg

photo4b_zpsba83455a.jpg

Badger Mountain Charlie,

I'm not sure what that thing is. It's been such a long winter I almost forgot. I think it may be what some of the locals call a "small mouth bass". Of course, I haven't seen one since about the middle of October 2014. I very much hope to change that in the next couple days.

I don't mind fishing in the rain, fish don't mind the rain since they are already wet. I'm not a big fan of getting out on a body of water in a Kayak when thunderstorms are present or when the wind is howling about 20 mph.

In that kind of wind, I find paddling one direction to be very easy but going the other direction is much less so.

GS

Know what you mean. Tried that in a float tube donut at Dry Falls Lake. Get lots of wind there in the afternoons.

Seen white caps on that lake in the middle of a sunshine festival. Easy to get to the North end of the lake, but getting to

the take out at the South end of the lake is another story.

Nice looking rig you have there. My little wood pram gave up the ghost. I guess twenty years was enough.

Fun to fish out of though.

Archived