SASS Wire Forum

Make your own slip-on brass front sight

Doc Fill 'Em 67797

While looking for something on Amazon the other day I came across this package of various small brass, copper and aluminum tubes. It looked like something I could use to make a big brass front slip-on sight cover. There are lots of different sizes. Just find the one that fits, cut a slot in it with a Dremel cut-off wheel and slip it on until it's even with the existing brass bead. I put red Loctite on it to hold it but it fit so well I doubt it's needed.

http://www.amazon.com/K-S-Engineering-320-Assortment/dp/B0006MZMHS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429108849&sr=8-1&keywords=brass+tubes

Front%20sight%20brass%20tubes%20003.jpgFront%20sight%20brass%20tubes%20002.jpg

The commercial slip on sights have a solid base that looks toward you.

The commercial slip on sights have a solid base that looks toward you.

+1

By the time you buy the tubes.

Cut the slot.

And still not have a solid piece looking at you.

I will just pay the $25 bucks and have a better sight in the end.

You can do it with those tubes. But not going to be the same.

Or we could stop trying to roll a quality cowboy over the coals for trying to help others out. It's just another option put out there for people that like to do things their self.

+1

More than one way to get to Founders Ranch! Surprises me how many figure there is only one "right" way to get something done. Always seems to be their way.

Or we could stop trying to roll a quality cowboy over the coals for trying to help others out. It's just another option put out there for people that like to do things their self.

+1

Fillmore

Yep...it works in a pinch...take it a step further and take the innards out of a spent primer (a small drill bit will spin it right out), a small dab of JB Weld in the primer cap, and press it onto the added brass tube. Now you have a solid face on the front sight. This has been a quick fix for me.

RRR

We use to worry about the small white diamond figure on the stock Marlin rifle rear sight. I suppose it is still on the books as being illegal.

That's what we were told at the RO1 class last month. If you still have the white diamond on your Marlin rear sight, get rid of it because it's illegal,

Roll him over the coals? :wacko::blink:

I don't see that at all.

Just pointing out to those that may not know better.

That those tubes will not hold up as good and give you a sight picture as

good as the one that another cowboy shooter has for just a few bucks more.

Just giving them more information.

They can always make up there own mind from there.

Roll him over the coals? :wacko::blink:

I don't see that at all.

Just pointing out to those that may not know better.

That those tubes will not hold up as good and give you a sight picture as

good as the one that another cowboy shooter has for just a few bucks more.

Just giving them more information.

They can always make up there own mind from there.

Yep...

Or should I just put "+1" down...

Slick is a quality guy that makes a quality product. He's not a Wire Wrangler...he's a shooter...a champion...a vendor. I'll support him over saving a dollar.

Phantom

Yep...

Or should I just put "+1" down...

Slick is a quality guy that makes a quality product. He's not a Wire Wrangler...he's a shooter...a champion...a vendor. I'll support him over saving a dollar.

Phantom

Nothing wrong with trying to save a little money if you can. Nothing wrong with passing on a little information. Nothing wrong with folks sharing the options that are out there.

Now with all that said I'll share my opinion....and it's only worth what you paid for it....not a dime. I use Slick's slide on rod sight for all 3 of my Uberti 73 rifles and my Marlin 94 rifle. I also use his "slip on" shotgun bead for both of my SKB shotguns. I've found that I can acquire that target faster with my improved sights on my shotguns and rifles using those products. It would not matter who made them.....the fact is that they work for me. It may not be your cup of tea or you might not feel they are necessary for you....that's fine....just use what works for you. I've found Slick to be an honorable business man who makes a quality product and has stood behind it whenever I had a problem. He even had one of those sights shipped to a local gun store in Maine to me when I went up there last year to shoot the Maine state match.....that's service.

Kajun

Wire Wrangler, nice! Read the posts and there was no rolling of anyone over coals. We can't be that sensitive. That is a great idea with the brass tubes. If it works for you, great. If I want to spend more so I don't have to mess with anything and I support a shooter, then great.

Archived