SASS Wire Forum

Marlin 1894 Trouble

Wild Will Bartell

Picked up a new (to me) Remlin in .357. The main issue is that it won't feed factory .357 reliably. Aside from not using certain brands of ammo, what can I do to improve feeding? This is going to be a 'truck gun' for me, and my main concern is reliability. # 2 on the list is how to improve the really crappy trigger.

Any suggestions?

WWB

Last question = first to answer - Install a "Happy Trigger" or one of slick McClade's triggers. Both work well and fix any "crappy" trigger problems.

The first question = Marlins like round nose bullets or Truncated cone bullets. Releaving the sharp edge at the top of the chamber can sometimes make feeding smoother. Check your rounds for length. If they are too long they can hang up on the magazine tube. Here again, a little relief at the top of the mag tube opening may help.

A good flashlight and a sharp eye together with operating the action slowly will allow you to discover things you didn't know happened inside a Marlin.

Thanks Ace. I can see where the case seems to catch on the top of the chamber like you described. I'm very hesitant to try a dremel on this w/o taking the barrel off. Do you think a 3-cornered scraper would do along with some croakus cloth, or is there another method that you would suggest?

Check your extractor as well. If it's too "tight" the rim of the case won't slide easily onto the bolt. You can take out extractor and polish the end to give a little room for the case rim to slide.

Thanks Doc. The extractor is one thing Remington seems to have gotten right :) . I checked this first thing; it holds the case perfectly, and has a nice, polished bevel on the underside.

Send it to Me .... Here In Canada :)

They are getting Better,,,,, That's what I keep telling myself...

The last one coming to me for work only had a 16 pound trigger pull...

Jabez Cowboy

The Widdermatic modification changes the Marlin from what is suppose to be a straight feed gun into an angle feed.

This requires the bottom tab on the bolt be removed and the carrier to be modified.

If you are not going to use the gun for Cowboy shooting you can leave the bolt and the carrier unmodified.

The hole leading into the magazine should be eased a bit to allow the round on the carrier to be pushed back onto the carrier without "catching" the nose of the round in the hole.

You don't have to remove the barrel to POLISH the entrance to the chamber, allowing the round to seek its own center as it enters. The long 357 round doesn't have much clearance to get pointed in the right direction. There is a lot going on as the round has to enter the chamber, the rim has to get captured by extractor and flush itself to the bolt face. Usually the last two are completed as the round seats itself. If it is being pushed on the bottom by the tab on the bottom of the bolt it will try to raise the nose of the round as it goes forward.

A different bullet design might help your feed problem.

Archived