SASS Wire Forum

.38 special with TrailBoss?

Roger Rapid

I've been shooting' 45LC with TrailBoss, and now ready to load 38 specials for my wife (who's just beginning). Any suggestions for TrailBoss loads with 162g bullets in 38spec? I can't find an on-line recipe (PLEASE PM ME - don't post loads here). Thanks in advance… RR

I've been shooting' 45LC with TrailBoss, and now ready to load 38 specials for my wife (who's just beginning). Any suggestions for TrailBoss loads with 162g bullets in 38spec? I can't find an on-line recipe (PLEASE PM ME - don't post loads here). Thanks in advance… RR

Those are fairly heavy bullets for 38 sp cowboy loads.

Most shoot 100gr to 125gr loads with a few 158gr saved for knock downs.

Everything you need to know about loading Trail Boss can be found here www.imrpowder.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-data.pdf

Wife and I both shoot it in 38 specials. Use 125 gr LTC bullets. 168 grain are overkill for SASS unless you are shooting knock downs out at 10 yards or more.

I load 2 tenths above the minimum calculated using the above procedure. If you load right at the minimum you will have inconsistent performance. Add 2 tenths and you and your wife will be happy with the results.

The Hodgdon data app gives you what you seek. http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol As AW has responded.

You did ask for any suggestions about TrailBoss loads for 38Spl. OK, a suggestion about TB and especially the lighter bullet (As AoH suggests) recipes.

TB is a squashed donut shaped powder. The individual grains are relatively large and if you're using a screw-adjustable powder measure (Dillon or Lee Adjustable) and trying for small weights, the shape and size doesn't work with the cavity those measures create for small volumes. Spherical powders work great (with about any cavity shape) but flake and donut shaped have a problem bridging.

If you find the TB start loads aren't soft enough, look around for another powder. It's great stuff otherwise.

I agree, 162gr bullets are way overkill but do what you like. Bullets in the 100 to 125 grain range are ample. I use them for everything, rifle and pistol and don't have any trouble with knock downs, T stars and such.

Blackfoot

A lady just beginning should NOT have to factor in recoil. It's totally unnecessary, and won't add anything to her pleasure.

A 125 grn. FPTC bullet, running at approx. 675 FPS, will do everything required or necessary for successful CAS shooting.

Also, as far as I'm concerned, there are far better powders for the 38 than Trail Boss. Most of the faster burning shotgun target load powders work very well. Clays, Clay Dot, Titegroup, and Nitro 100, to name a few, do very well in the 38 Spl.

RBK

Start with the minimum charge that Hogdon recommends for the 158gr bullet and go anywhere from 0.1 to 0.3 up and work from there.

If using a Dillon powder measure you will probably want to use the large powder bar. I like Trailboss and find it to shoot "softer" then Titegroup or Clays

Archived