SASS Wire Forum

Pardon me while I gripe about a deal

I made a deal (on a fb site) for a pair of "like new Uberti 1851 Colt Navys" a couple weeks ago, so I got a cashiers check and sent it off. Today I get a package containing two Pietta 1851 Navys. Dang it! That's not what I wanted. It's not that I hate Piettas it's just that I've already invested in Treso nipples for Ubertis and all my other cap guns are Ubertis.

They aren't beat up or abused, look barely, if at all, used, but, dang it, they're Piettas. They actually look pretty good. Someone along the line swapped the grips for '60 Army grips. I'm not sure if that's a plus or a minus for another potential buyer. I kinda figured that was the case from the pictures I saw of them before I got them so I can't and won't complain about that.

I don't know if the seller knew he was passing off Pietta's as Ubertis or was just ignorant and someone else told him they were Ubertis. Although "F.LLI PIETTA" is clearly marked on the barrels. Dang it.

I'm trying to decide if I'm going to send them back (If he'll take them back. He hasn't replied about that, yet), try to sell them to a local pard, try to find someone willing to swap for Ubertis or just suck it up, get some Tresos for and shoot the Piettas. Dang it.

Gol'darn it that aggravates me. I don't have a lot of discretionary funds floating around to screw with.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Angus

I made a deal (on a fb site) for a pair of "like new Uberti 1851 Colt Navys" a couple weeks ago, so I got a cashiers check and sent it off. Today I get a package containing two Pietta 1851 Navys. Dang it! That's not what I wanted. It's not that I hate Piettas it's just that I've already invested in Treso nipples for Ubertis and all my other cap guns are Ubertis.

They aren't beat up or abused, look barely, if at all, used, but, dang it, they're Piettas. They actually look pretty good. Someone along the line swapped the grips for '60 Army grips. I'm not sure if that's a plus or a minus for another potential buyer. I kinda figured that was the case from the pictures I saw of them before I got them so I can't and won't complain about that.

I don't know if the seller knew he was passing off Pietta's as Ubertis or was just ignorant and someone else told him they were Ubertis. Although "F.LLI PIETTA" is clearly marked on the barrels. Dang it.

I'm trying to decide if I'm going to send them back (If he'll take them back. He hasn't replied about that, yet), try to sell them to a local pard, try to find someone willing to swap for Ubertis or just suck it up, get some Tresos for and shoot the Piettas. Dang it.

Gol'darn it that aggravates me. I don't have a lot of discretionary funds floating around to screw with.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Angus

See if the vendor will swap your nipples. Return shipping on the nipples ya have, and shipping for the nipples ya need would be extra.

Did you offer the seller the opportunity to accept retrun of the goods on his dime once the refund check including shipping you received clears. You could also offer him the opportunity to send a check for the cost of new tresos to replace those you purchased based on his false advertisement, if you really like the pistolas. Like new 51 with non standard grips are not remotely like new!!!!

Anyone who would advertize a Pietta as a Uberti is either stupid or dishonest in my opinion.

I got an Armi San Marco and a Pietta some years ago that were sold as a pair of Piettas. . . :huh: But the Pietta of the two was much nicer than expected with really nice faux ivory grips . . .and the Armi San Marco was only $100 . . and was shootable. I did a mild complaint to the seller . . . but kept 'em both. In contrast to the few deals that weren't so good . .and on that was a gyp . . . . . I've gotten so many good ones . . . that I ain't complaining over all . . . . :)

Hi folks,

Even if the person is a SASS member, our membership has reached over 100K; there are bound to be bad apples in a group that large. Before buying something on the internet, get to know the person's history. Posts here and how others respond to them are one example of finding out what a seller is like. After reading wonderful feedback on Ebay, I've still made purchases I regretted and that were horribly misrepresented.

There are some people here, I trust explicitly by reputation and posts. Others are unknown to me.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Update: I spent most of last night with the pistols sitting on a table in front of me while I watched tv. They ARE darn nice looking. Although I'm still somewhat aggravated, I think I'm going to keep them and maybe see if I can find someone that will trade for a pair of Ubertis. I've always liked the look of the '51 Navy and hate to get rid of them now that I have them.

The seller is not a SASS member and I tried to relay that info when I mentioned the deal was made on a facebook site. FWIW he has offered to refund my money.

As for sending the Treso nipples back to the vendor to ask for an exchange, that's not really an option. First because they are used and second because I still have a pair of Uberti Remingtons and Armys. Because the nipples are expensive (and my budget being what it is) rather than buying a set for each gun I swap them onto whichever guns I'm using that day.

I guess I ought to at least try them out. Maybe I won't need to invest in new nipples.

I'm just a sucker for new guns. Dang it!

Angus

Update: I spent most of last night with the pistols sitting on a table in front of me while I watched tv. They ARE darn nice looking. Although I'm still somewhat aggravated, I think I'm going to keep them and maybe see if I can find someone that will trade for a pair of Ubertis. I've always liked the look of the '51 Navy and hate to get rid of them now that I have them.

The seller is not a SASS member and I tried to relay that info when I mentioned the deal was made on a facebook site. FWIW he has offered to refund my money.

As for sending the Treso nipples back to the vendor to ask for an exchange, that's not really an option. First because they are used and second because I still have a pair of Uberti Remingtons and Armys. Because the nipples are expensive (and my budget being what it is) rather than buying a set for each gun I swap them onto whichever guns I'm using that day.

I guess I ought to at least try them out. Maybe I won't need to invest in new nipples.

I'm just a sucker for new guns. Dang it!

Angus

Be honest, you actually sat in front of the TV holding the guns pointing them at the TV going "pow pow pow pow"

Archived