SASS Wire Forum

Colt SAA with US marked on frame

Big Sarge

I need some guidance. I'm looking at a Colt SAA made in 1875 with US marked on frame. It has the single line address. Now for the bad news, the barrel has been shortened to 5 1/2 and it has been reblued. Could y'all give me an idea of the vaue?

Very possible that it is a Artillery model. During the Spanish American War (think rough riders) they brought the SAA back into to service as their new .38 double action service revolvers were not getting the job done. Long story short the SAA's were arsenal refinished and in the process not much care was taken in making sure serial numbers matched, but the barrels were cut to 5 1/2 inches.. Artillery models can be quite valuable. I happen to own on that was made in 1891. Get a letter from Colt. You may also have a "Custer Era" Colt on your hands as well. Very cool. You will have a lot of naysayers so make sure you do your research. Cool Colts have a way of turning some guys in dishonest liars.

How do you know the barrel was cut? You can get info from Colt on its original configuration. The serial number range for "Custer Era" Colts is from 01-7,000, so you can check that as well. Beyond that, any alterations by private parties, refinishing, etc. will lower the price, but it depends on the type and condition of the work. Too many variables to give you a reasonable price range based on the info you supplied.

How do you know the barrel was cut? ....

All U.S. Model 1873s prior to the 1890s rework were 7 1/2".

I need some guidance. I'm looking at a Colt SAA made in 1875 with US marked on frame. It has the single line address. Now for the bad news, the barrel has been shortened to 5 1/2 and it has been reblued. Could y'all give me an idea of the vaue?

Do the serial numbers match (not the number on the loading gate, but the rest)? The subject of so-called "Artillery" Colt's Single Actions is complex. My suggestion is to get ahold of a copy of "Colt Cavalry & Artillery Revolvers" by John A. Kopec and H. Sterling Fenn. The terms "Artillery" and "Cavalry" Colt's Single Action revolvers are a collectors' convention to distinguish the 7-1/2" models which were originally issued primarily to the cavalry from the 5-1/2" guns that were converted from the longer tube guns around the Spanish-American War period. Some were converted by Colt's under contract, while others were converted at Springfield Armory. Some were shipped to Army units in the Phillipines during the S-A War and afterward during the Insurrection in the 1905 period. Others were sent to various state militia and National Guard units. It's too complicated to explain here. The book covers it wonderfully.

Get a Colt letter. That'll tell, at least, what the guns orginal configuration was. It may also provide other information.

If a genuine US military Colt, it should have substantial value. On the other hand, if it's collector value has been destroyed by modifications and you don't want it anymore, I'll gladly give a few hundred dollars for it. :)

I'm looking at this Colt as a shooter and not a collector. The seller doesn't present it as an Artillery model. I know the barrel has been shortened because it has the single line address on the barrel. The cal is 45 Colt and the serial number is 17XXX. Colt is unable to issue a letter for this SAA. Is the lack of a Colt letter a major red flag? Or does it simply mean records are missing?

Not all US marked Colts were military issued many didn't pass inspection for one reason or another and ended up on the civilian market.

I believe US marked Colts under 30k serial number that were never worked on by Colt in the recalls of 1896 or 1901-1903 will not letter. Those records were lost in the fire. If It would have gone back to Colt as part of the recalls it would have a letter stating that fact. Only 4-3/4 inch barrel guns have a two line address . Is the barrel address in italic letters? You state that it has been reblued?

If it's a real Artillery, only Colt reblued or reconditioned the Colts. Springfield did not , they simply replaced worn parts and did not pay much attention as to keeping the serial numbers matching. Photos would help in determining the value.

Hope this helps,

CC

Archived