SASS Wire Forum

Hoppe's No. 9 Synthetic Blend?

Hellbender

I went into Wal-Mart the other day for some Hoppe's No. 9 and I thought I was buying 3 5-oz bottles of it (along with all 10 boxes of Winchester 12 gauge low noise low recoil shotshells that I saw they had on the shelf for the first time since summer!). But when I got to my car and glanced at the receipt I did a double take--$7.99 per bottle instead of the $2.99 I was used to paying. I then recalled I had noticed the label said "synthetic blend" but I didn't think the price would be different and there was no price tag on the shelf where they were sitting other than "$2.99". I took them back in and after seeing none of the original on the self and asking for them to scan it for the price (which came up $7.99), I asked for a refund. Then I drove to the other Wal-Mart in town to see if they had the original Hoppe's. They had both, with the original still $2.99 (this Wal-Mart also had 10 boxes of the low noise low recoil Winchester shotshells- yahoo!).

This got me wondering: Is there any advantage to using the "synthetic blend" Hoppe's over the regular type? If so, it would have to be a huge advantage to make it worh paying nearly 3X as much for it. Also, will Hoppe's continue making the regular type? Any insight would be appreciated.

Lots less banana-and-ammonia smell to the new Hoppes (Elite, not 9). I don't think it cleans as well, especially copper fouling. But some wives have been known to ban the old one when a pard brings home the new version. And the old one ships as DOT Regulated, while the new one is a detergent and ships like Dawn dish soap. So some stores may just quit carrying it because of that - like they won't carry BP anymore either.

Their claims for Elite include: Odorless, non-toxic, non-flammable and biodegradable

Good luck, GJ

Hell I use the originial as air freshener. They better not change it

I've asked my family to be sure a cleaning patch soaked with Hoppe's No. 9 be placed in my casket. Now I'll have to be sure they understand it is to be soaked with the original formula.

Thanks for the info, Garrison Joe. But these did not say "Elite" and the label had the same basic design (including the big "9") as the original. One difference was that it said "Hoppe's No. 9 Synthetic Blend" below the big "9" instead of "Hoppe's No. 9 Gun Bore Cleaner" and that statement had a gold background. Another difference was that the lid was covered with what looked like the same kind of tear off clear plastic cover like you find on cough syrup lids. Otherwise it looked very similar.

From the Hoppe's site. I think the major change is that it won't melt your Glock :ph34r::D :

No. 9 Synthetic Blend Bore Cleaner

Hoppe’s No. 9 Synthetic Blend Bore Cleaner is especially designed for the modern firearm and is built on the great tradition started by Frank Hoppe in 1903.

• Superior removal of carbon, lead, and copper fouling
  • Safe on anodized aluminum, titanium, steel, chrome, nickel, plastic, polycarbonate and rubber
  • Same great traditional Hoppe’s 9 smell
  • Biodegradable / Non-flammable

902g-9501g.jpg?width=800&height=800&ext=

Hmmm, then I wonder what the difference is between Elite and the Syn Blend. The ad copy reads pretty close to the same, being biodegradable and non-flammable. Something the original Hoppe's sure is not. Anybody got the MSDS on these products? Here's what I found.

Hoppe's original:

Kerosene 15 - 40% (oil/grease solvent)

Ethyl Alcohol 15 - 40% (water-based ionic solvent)

Amyl Acetate 5-10% - there's the banana smell (and the lead dissolving ability)

Ammonium Hydroxide - 1-5% there's the ability to dissolve copper and the ammonia smell

Oleic Acid - fraction not reported (an oil sorta like olive oil, basically used for rust prevention I suppose)

Hoppe's Synthetic:

can't find an MSDS on this to save my life

Hoppe's Elite - they really do not want to reveal what is in this, either, except they are required to state that it is contains

Diethylene Glycol Monobutyl Ether less than 15%

Good luck, GJ

Hoppe's website has the SDS (the new name for what used to be called MSDS) for the synthetic blend:

http://www.hoppes.com/Hoppes/media/Files/MSDS/HoppesSynthetic/SDS-HoppesSyntheticBlend-LiquidBoreCleaner-Bottle-EU.pdf

In the SDS they say because it's not hazardous they don't have to tell you what's in it and so they don't. They show it's a mixture of two chemicals, both indicated as TRADE SECRET, together making up less than 15% of the weight. They show the boiling point as 100 degrees C so I assume more than 85% of Hoppe's No. 9 Synthetic Blend is just water.

As long as the original is availble, I'll keep using it. I'm not implying anything is wrong with the synthetic blend but I'd rather not pay almost triple the price for it.

Based on that data, I think my first guess on this is about right - the Synthetic Blend is a different label on the Elite product, which I understand sold poorly. Both seem to be non-toxic, biodegradable, and 85% water.

I'll stick with Outers spray bore cleaner. Works for me, for half the price.

Good luck, GJ

All I know is I ran across an old bottle (circa 1950s) that my dad had. Every so often I open it a take a smell.

Best smell in the world

There is nothing like it, nothing even close today; I use it but then it would be gone and I would be heartbroken

cr

Archived