SASS Wire Forum

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"In the beginning, there was no baseball. But ever since, there have been few beginnings as good as the start of a new basebal season. It is the most splendid time in sport."

B.J. Phillips

Time Magazine -1981

"It is designed to break your heart. It begins in the spring when everything else begins again. And it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings. And then, as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the Fall alone"

A. Bartlett Giamatti

The Green Fields of the Mind - 1975

It's a beautiful day for a ball game, for a ball game, today

The fans are out to get a ticket or two

From Walla Walla Washington to Kalamazoo

It's a beautiful day for a home run, but even a triple's OK

We're gonna cheer, and boo, and raise a hullabaloo

At the ball game, today

At the ball game, the wonderful ball game, today.

To Quote Harry Carry,

Take me out to the ball game,

Take me out to the crowd.

Buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jack,

I don't care if I never get back

Root, Root, Root, for the Cubbies,

If they don't win it's a shame.

For it's one, two, three strikes your out,

at the old ball game!!!!!!

And the Cubbies have been mathematically eliminated from playoff contention...

Go Dodger Blue! Go Cards!

Royals over the White Sox 10-1.

Kansas City looked solid. Here's hopin'...

Fun way to begin the season. For us.

Well that couldn't have gone much better. :)

"Play ball!" said the man.

And play they did. :)

For me I refuse to watch any professional sports. Over paid bunch of criminals and wife beaters.

Besides it interrupts my regularly scheduled programming.

Ike

Too bad for you, yer missing out on some great baseball! I'm a baseball fan and I could care less how much money they make. I love the sport and like I said too bad for you, yer missing out! :P

BTW they're not all criminals and wife beaters just a couple bad apples that spoil the bunch. There's bad apples in every profession even yours whatever that is! :excl:

What Rye said. There are more pro players who are decent than there are who are scum. For every Aaron Hernandez there are 10 who have donated to their communities and are grateful to be able to getmpaid for doing what they love.

It's really not their fault that corporations are dumping millions into their contracts.

Many would play as long as they were payed enough to put food on the table and clothes on their kids.

It's all about the game for me. The flawless execution of a hit and run. The stunning, unexpected triple play. The Suicide Squeeze. A walk off homer. The bank accounts of the players are meaningless. It's the Game that counts.

Irish got it at least partly right.

It is no longer about the game, it's about the money.

Look at the cost for a family of four to attend even one game.

What happened to the Sunday double headers.

Look how many players after getting $20,000,000 contracts no longer perform,

Ryan Howard, Cliff Lee, Carlos Ruiz on the Phillies are prime examples.

I bet you can name a lot more just in the last five years.

The Phillies used to broadcast at least a third of their games on network [antenna TV]

when they got into the billion dollar contract with Comcast it is now 20%.

Not everyone in the inner city can afford cable with the sports package.

I enjoy watching the little league or high school games and don't have to pay $100 for the priviledge

As a society I think that the salaries we pay someone to play with some sort of ball is shameful. The researchers, educators, and hospitals out there have to depend on grants or private benefactors to help fund important work, or our future.

There is something wrong with a country who supports sports the way we do, and yet our education system is in shambles. We were once the greatest nation n the world. Now we are the greatest sports franchise.

Getting political so I'll stop. Enjoy the season and to each his own.

Ike

As a society I think that the salaries we pay someone to play with some sort of ball is shameful. The researchers, educators, and hospitals out there have to depend on grants or private benefactors to help fund important work, or our future.

There is something wrong with a country who supports sports the way we do, and yet our education system is in shambles. We were once the greatest nation n the world. Now we are the greatest sports franchise.

Getting political so I'll stop. Enjoy the season and to each his own.

Ike

WE don't pay 'em anything, the owners do! We pay for entertainment just like ya do with a movie or golf or for that matter our beloved sport!

The education system is in shambles mainly because of the family structure being broken. I know many good teachers but they can't force the brats to learn! Those are the ones that bring the "system" down.

The Red Sox won their first game, and the Yankees lost theirs. Things are off to a good start here in the American League East.

Now Shawnee......"here" could be debated.

Archived