SASS Wire Forum

Six point crimp on Gun Clubs

Yesterday at a monthly match I started to pick up some once fired Remington Gun Club hulls that a new shooter didn't want when I noticed they had a six point crimp rather than eight. I've always seen six point crimps on cheaper shells. What gives? I left them behind, I have enough hulls that I don't need to be sorting by crimp and changing over.

With some.45acp's coming with small primers, it seems the ammo industry is trying to drive reloaders crazy!

The six point crimps have been around a long time. They don't shuck easily from my guns, so I pass on them also.

What you are seeing, may or may NOT be gun Clubs, and instead MAY be simply Remington Shur-Shot hunting ammo hulls.

Gun Clubs and Shur-Shot share the same cases. They are known as Unibody SP cases, and do come in both 6 and 8 fold crimps.

Usually, Gun Clubs only come with 8 fold crimps, while the Shur-Shots come predominately with 6 fold crimps. However, the Shur-Shots do sometimes have the 8 fold crimps.

While I have never actually seen any GC's with 6 fold crimps, it's altogether possible that some do exist.

The point is that those ribbed 20 ga cases LOOK just alike, because they are the very same case. Other than the STS cases, the Unibody SP cases are the only cases Remington has used in several years.

RBK

Yep I also heard they dont shuck to easy out of SxS shotguns. I have collected here and there and when I got enough to make few boxes, I just changed out my crimp starting thingy in Mec 600jr. It only took a few seconds. They reloaded just fine. I do load them for the 97 only though..

What you are seeing, may or may NOT be gun Clubs, and instead MAY be simply Remington Shur-Shot hunting ammo hulls.

Gun Clubs and Shur-Shot share the same cases. They are known as Unibody SP cases, and do come in both 6 and 8 fold crimps.

Usually, Gun Clubs only come with 8 fold crimps, while the Shur-Shots come predominately with 6 fold crimps. However, the Shur-Shots do sometimes have the 8 fold crimps.

While I have never actually seen any GC's with 6 fold crimps, it's altogether possible that some do exist.

The point is that those ribbed 20 ga cases LOOK just alike, because they are the very same case. Other than the STS cases, the Unibody SP cases are the only cases Remington has used in several years.

RBK

I thought the same thing at first but these were definitely marked "Gun Club."

Yep I also heard they dont shuck to easy out of SxS shotguns.

Both 6 and 8 point crimp hulls - new and reloaded, will shuck the same IF they are properly crimped with the perfectly round ridge above the crimp. With a MEC 650 reloader, I easily shuck both crimps for the BP reloads. I shoot Clubs from the dumpsters at the club's skeet & trap ranges loaded on the MEC 650

Archived