SASS Wire Forum

Cycling a 97 on the firing line

Swift Stoney 49735

A good friend of mine cautioned me a while back about cycling my 97 on the firing line. I had gotten in the habit of when I staged the shotgun of cycling it before laying it down. I was told that was a "no no" and would result in a MSV. In several years of shooting that is the first time I have come across that particular rule. Anyone else encounter such a rule?

You can't dryfire at the loading table, but you can shoot live ammunition on the firing line if you want to...... i'd probably ask the TO if you can cycle it to check it though. It'll keep folks from getting exited.

I don't know about the extent of your cycling technique, but our SG actions close on us sometimes during the staging of our shotguns. SxS have to be 'reopened', the levers on an 87 have to be reopened, AND...the slide actions on our '97 often have to be functioned to ensure they are fully opened before staging.

I'm not familiar with any rule concerning your situation and it would be appropriate to ask them to 'show you the rule'.

QUESTION: you are dry firing it on the line, are you?

..........Widder

If you are doing it then you are eating up time. If it is a big concern simply look in the chamber as you restage.....I wouldn't...worrow about it unless you have a problem with extractionYou can move with the double or the 97 as long as they are on an empty chamber or a spent round.

Just my too scents.

KK

While you don't see it too often, there is no rule that states you can't cycle a '97 as you stage it. I've given up on '97s personally, and don't shoot them anymore but never found the need to to cycle one when staging. No rule though.

Coffinmaker

Since the dawn of time, mankind has had a tendency to add rules that are not there. (See Gen 3:3)

We do it in the hope of adding safety, but it often backfires. (See Gen 3 again).

It is pretty common to come to line and realize the 97 action is not fully open - and thus will block being able to load the gun. Some folks then fully cycle it, others just make certain the bolt is fully back. The second method works pretty well, but is not as sure of method to ensure the action is ready and fully cycling the action.

Since the dawn of time, mankind has had a tendency to add rules that are not there. (See Gen 3:3)

We do it in the hope of adding safety, but it often backfires. (See Gen 3 again).

It is pretty common to come to line and realize the 97 action is not fully open - and thus will block being able to load the gun. Some folks then fully cycle it, others just make certain the bolt is fully back. The second method works pretty well, but is not as sure of method to ensure the action is ready and fully cycling the action.

+1

I have never seen this done before. Shooters will sometimes make sure the action if fully open and leave it at that. I have seen shooters work the action a couple of times when they finish shooting there stage. Are you actually talking about dry firing it or holding down the Action slide lock release?

It sounds like a nervous habit that needs to stop, if you ask me. What if there's a round stuck in the mag tube.

Fillmore

Archived