SASS Wire Forum

Best Way to GoPro Sailboat

Aunt Jen

What is Best Way to GoPro Sailboat SOLO, no other boat to shoot me---I mean short of buying / equipping a drone with floats to fly it around the boat at sea. Which would be cool. But let's be reasonable?

Rail mount. Head mount. Bow mount looking backwards.... I'm not climbing the mast to mount a downer up there. :)

I would think that this would depend on the boat. I had a Newport 16 that had a very tall cabin access and a very small cockpit. If I had someone in the boat with me, they had to man the jib lines since the cockpit was too small for me to hand the tiller, the main and the jib. I planned on changing the jib to a self-tending version but someone offered me a gun deal of gun money before I could so.

I imagine that you will want to get a variety of shots from different mounts. On the mast, facing the cockpit would be a cool mount. On the strn, mounted off the transom, facing fore would be another good mount.

My son has mounts in various locations on his motorbike. Put a mount about anywhere for any angle and controlled with his phone.

Jen - look into what is called a Selfie Stick, or mono pod. Basically an extendable stick with a camera mount on one end.

If you have hands available, you can hold it, or I reckon you could fasten it various places with cable ties or what not. For me, I think I'd want a tether or something just to make sure it didn't get loose in a big wave or what ever.

I'm looking forward to seeing the video!

You are an amazing woman, you live life as it should be, to the fullest, always seeking out new things to learn and new adventures to experience. You go girl!

Grizz

Okay, Jen... Now ya gotta tell us what kind of boat. :)

After seeing your taste in aeroplanes, I suspect it's something kinda neat! ^_^

It's a MacGregor 26M.

I went out today to get some footage, but I didn't do very well. The sea was irregular, sometimes rough with large swells. It would be fun, if you like to wrestle, but I don't like to wrestle. Handling the boat and the GoPro was difficult and I didn't want to go up on deck at sea to reposition it...

I'll try it another day

Don't hold your breath.

Archived