SASS Wire Forum

Holster size for 1872 open tops

Johnny Dollar

I'm jumping the gun (pun intended...) on this but was just wondering if anyone knew off hand.

I'll be taking possession of a pair of Uberti 1872 conversions in .45 with 7 1/2" barrels by next week or so. The question is this... I have a pair of slim Jim type holsters for my 1860 cap guns with similar length barrels and was wondering how far off the sizes would be. In other words I'm wondering if I need to get another set of holsters or would these fit.

Of course I could just wait and not post this question.... But.... :)

Yep, definitely gonna need another set of holsters, probably should just get a whole new rig. Ya can't use one rig for two different set of pistols, ya know, that would be an abomination! And it keeps them CAS leather makers busy too when ya buy more rigs. Idle hands.....

They might.

Depends on how much extra room is in them.

Open Tops do not have a loading lever, but do have an ejector housing off to the side a bit.

For holsters that are a close fit for 1860s or 1851s, the OTs probably will not fit.

For roomier holsters, the OTs will fit just fine.

That is my experience with my OTs.

--Dawg

Thanks Clancy and Dawg..... It's probably a wait and see thing.

As I built these for my 1860s, I may be making another set for these. :)

IMG_0099_zps91c4bcd6.jpg

As another 1860/1872 Shooter........after looking at your holsters ...... Probably not. Real god fit for your 1860, but a mite too snug for the Ejector assembly on an 1871.

Really nice Holsters by the way

Coffinmaker

I removed the ejector rod from my 72 open tops much easier to holster and made a tool out of deer horn and a short brass rod to remove the cases, but I shoot 38's and the ejector rod does not fit the cylinder as well as it does on the 45's

As another 1860/1872 Shooter........after looking at your holsters ...... Probably not. Real god fit for your 1860, but a mite too snug for the Ejector assembly on an 1871.

Really nice Holsters by the way

Coffinmaker

I'll respectfully disagree...maybe... Fromt the look of the red holsters pictured, you MAY be able to wet fit the holsters to take the ejector rod and thumbpiece. Of course, once you do wet fit the holsters, the "bulge" where the ejector fits will be visible, at least on the right-hand side of whichever is worn on the outside (righthand hoslter, butt rear or worn on the left butt-forward).

Before you start, obtain some hardwood dowels from the hardware store or hobby shop. You need a 3/4" diameter, and at least a 3/8" dia. dowell (3 ft long is how most come). round one end using a wood rasp, followed by sandpaper, until one end of each is smooth. Run the holster under tepid water inside and out for about 15-30 seconds, or until the leather is thoroughly wet. Tightly wrap the gun in a plastic baggie. Insert the 3/4" dowel down to the end of the holster. Then insert the gun in the holster and note where the ejector thumbpiece bulges the leather. Remove the gun and use the smaller dowel to form a track from where the ejector sat up to the top. If you don't, the thumbpiece will form a pocket and trap the gun. Re-insert the wrapped gun in the holster and work it around a little bit. Leave the gun in the holster until the leather feels dry on the outside (at least 6 hours depending on the climate you live in). Remove the gun and let the holster dry for a couple of days. You may want to periodically re-insert the gun and withdrawn it and see how it fits. Should do it.

Archived