SASS Wire Forum

Reloading Federal Restrictions: Good April Fool's Joke by Big Sarge

Big Sarge

I'm sickened by the latest NRA update. The BATF will require an explosives permit for an individual to purchase powder or primers effective July 1st. This is based upon a 9th Circuit Court of Appeals ruling that the manufacture of ammunition is a manufacture of an explosive device. Ruling was issued on 31 MAR 2015. I am filing my application for a permit ASAP. Just wanted to give you a heads up. Below is reference material for the ruling. I'll post the NRA-ILA emergency action as soon as I can.

ATF’s jurisdiction over explosives extends to requiring licenses to engage in the business of importing, manufacturing and/or distributing explosives materials. An ATF permit is also required to ship, transport, or receive explosives. ATF inspects the explosives storage magazines and records of explosives licensees and permittees on a regular basis to ensure compliance with federal explosives regulations. Exemptions from the federal explosives laws are contained in 18 U.S.C. § 845.

http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/opinions/

https://www.atf.gov/content/explosives/explosives-industry/how-become-federal-explosives-licensee-FEL

Look at the ruling. It also cited the need for chemically tagging ammunition for forensic identification. I'm not quite sure what that would entail, but I figure some one on here could enlighten us.

I'm sickened by the latest NRA update. The BATF will require an explosives permit for an individual to purchase powder or primers effective July 1st. This is based upon a 9th Circuit Court of Appeals ruling that the manufacture of ammunition is a manufacture of an explosive device. Ruling was issued on 31 MAR 2015. I am filing my application for a permit ASAP. Just wanted to give you a heads up. Below is reference material for the ruling. I'll post the NRA-ILA emergency action as soon as I can.

ATF’s jurisdiction over explosives extends to requiring licenses to engage in the business of importing, manufacturing and/or distributing explosives materials. An ATF permit is also required to ship, transport, or receive explosives. ATF inspects the explosives storage magazines and records of explosives licensees and permittees on a regular basis to ensure compliance with federal explosives regulations. Exemptions from the federal explosives laws are contained in 18 U.S.C. § 845.

http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/opinions/

https://www.atf.gov/content/explosives/explosives-industry/how-become-federal-explosives-licensee-FEL

edited.....totally bit on this one :blink: :blink:

I did not see the opinion you spoke of in the first link....to the uscourts.gov/opinions. Is there a specific case number or something? In looking at opinions filed 31MAR2015 there are none shown that concerning the ATF. I must be overlooking something here....any help is appreciated.

I REALLY hope this is a bad Aptil Fool's joke; because I din't see anything either.

Remember a lot of us are getting older, 'ya damn near gave me a heart attack! If I had any guns or reloading supplies the last thing I want is BATF at my door for inspections. My hearts still palpitating. The was a rough one!

Geez, it's tough to pull one over on this crowd. Believe it or not, a bunch of folks fell for it on the hunting forum I frequent. Anyway, I hope all of you have had a good April Fool's Day.

Geez, it's tough to pull one over on this crowd. Believe it or not, a bunch of folks fell for it on the hunting forum I frequent. Anyway, I hope all of you have had a good April Fool's Day.

You too!

The key for me was the NRA update that I didn't get ;)

The really scary thing about this "notice" is that, with the government we now have, this may well be a real possibility.

I had to check todays date and the follow on comments to be sure that it really was an April Fool thing.

Yikes!

Warhorse

Archived