SASS Wire Forum

Poser Panhandler gets schooled!

Howdy,

I would have taken the patches and left the guy the coat.

Maybe.

On the other hand who knows what Id do....

Best

CR

Just out of curiosity...what is the objection to Stolen Valor legislation? If you can make impersonation of a law enforcement officer a crime, and arrest folks for falsely collecting money in fake Boy Scout jars, why can't you make it illegal to falsely claim to be a vet or an active duty serviceman, especially when someone uses that false status to collect money or gain employment? I can understand that it may be hard to police, but so are a lot of other crimes.

LL

Just out of curiosity...what is the objection to Stolen Valor legislation? If you can make impersonation of a law enforcement officer a crime, and arrest folks for falsely collecting money in fake Boy Scout jars, why can't you make it illegal to falsely claim to be a vet or an active duty serviceman, especially when someone uses that false status to collect money or gain employment? I can understand that it may be hard to police, but so are a lot of other crimes.

LL

The original act couldn`t pass the constitutional test. I figgered it wouldn't, and it was struck down on 1st Amendment issues. The current act has the fraud requirement. Difference in impersonating a cop is you are acting under color of law could illegally arrest and search, thereby violating others' rights.

Servicemen have no such authority so it was ruled okay to dress like one and claim to be one.

But now, gaining materially (cash, meals, services, etc) from doing so can get you prosecuted.

Howdy,

Ive had folks say they didn't think I was a vet.

I just start telling them stories about the army until they beg me to stop....

Works evertime.

;)

Best

CR

Archived