SASS Wire Forum

Original NMV hammer vs SBH replacement hammer

Jess Money

Several pards have replaced their NMV hammers with the SBH hammers and have different opinions about the change. Seems many of the Shootist and GF's prefer the change, but a number of the two hand shooters have switched back to the original NMV hammers. There are a few shootist and GF's that have also switched back to the original. What decision have you made if you've tried both style hammers?

Last time I shot two-handed was in 2007, so I can't do an honest comparison... but, as a duelist, I would not go back to the standard NMV hammer. The difference in height actually isn't all that much, but the feel of it is vastly better - and I do not have small hands.

CS

Doc Fill 'Em's got it, you just have to have enough pistols so you can have both styles at the same time. The lowered hammers are perfect for Gunfighter/Duelist style shooting, but sometimes let the thumb slip prematurely for two-handed work. On the other hand, the taller hammers of the original OMV or NMV guns lend themselves more readily to the two-handed technique. Then you can shoot B-Western and combine techniques, using each type when the tactical situation warrants. Ducky

Along the same lines, I shoot Uberti Colt clones, and have just purchased a pair of the lowered spur hammers from the "Thunderstorm" models that I'm going to try. I have fairly small hands for a guy, and want to see if this improves my speed. I shoot .44-40's two handed.

The only gripe I had with the new SASS Vaqueros, was the small and narrow grips. Didn't fill my hands as they should, and I don't have particularly large hands. Once I replaced the grips with aftermarket grips, all is well now, and the Montado Hammers are fine.

RBK

Like it was said before, SBH is good for duelist/GF. I switch mine back to OMV hammers as a two handed shooter after shooting 2 seasons with the SBH. I find that the SBH, my thumb feels like it wants to slip off the hammer and it did for a few times. So I switched. With the OMV hammer, my thumb has a good hold on the hammer spur. With the longer spur of the NMV hammers, it feels like it gets in the way of my thumb during cocking. Never did liked the NMV hammer with the longer spur. There's Pros and Cons for each type of hammers, so your mileage may vary. IMO.

I like the SBH hammers shooting both one handed and two handed. YMMV.

Yup

Fillmore

Archived